Bridging --please explain

Jim Koenig

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
central minnesota
Can one of you Dish-trained technical quys please explain what the purpose of "Bridging" is on the Hoppers? I assume it separates the MOCA network from the ethernet but I would like to know for sure. Also, should both of my HWS hoppers be connected to my home network/internet router or just one? Thanks for your help.

I am not trained, but as I understand it, bridging allows you to share your internet connection to all your Hopper/Joey devices over MOCA from a single Hopper. You connect hopper A to your home network, enable bridging, and all MOCA devices will have access to Hopper features that are available online--Pandora and other apps and On Demand content(I think).

Correct. Having multiple Hoppers connected to the internet by hard-wiring for example can cause issues. Best to only connect one and enable bridging.

My four Hoppers and Joey are each connected separately by Cat5 cable to my router and my Hopper/Joey system is in Ethernet mode. Haven't had any connection issues.

Usually, you'd connect just one Hopper to the router, and MOCA takes care of the rest. Never establish bridging on more than one device; it will cause problems.

The purpose is that if you don't have wired ethernet throughout your house, you can still connect your entire whole home tv network via MOCA. You connect one box--the main hopper. That way you can take advantage of all internet delivered content on all devices.

I'm glad I'm able to use the HIC in my setup. I've had zero issues with it and don't have to worry about bridging.

I'm glad I'm able to use the HIC in my setup. I've had zero issues with it and don't have to worry about bridging.

Agreed. My situation was out of necessity since my Hopper is on the other end of the house from my router.

knockwood.gif
I haven't had any network connectivity issues in the almost 2 years I've had my H/2J setup...

My four Hoppers and Joey are each connected separately by Cat5 cable to my router and my Hopper/Joey system is in Ethernet mode. Haven't had any connection issues.

I have two hoppers both hard wired to cat5 with bridging off and not had any issues either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a problem with bridging a 2 HWS system when it came to seeing both HWSs on Dish Anywhere. When bridged I could only see the HWS connected to the internet. When I connected each HWS to the router, I was able to see them on Dish Anywhere. Then with the latest SW updates I started to lose the ability for each HWS to see each other. I shut off CEC and it helps but not totally. When I lose HWS integration , I have to reset the network on the HWS that is hard wired to the router. Dish has created a very unstable SW environment for the Hopper system.

When my 2 Hopper, 2 Joey system was first installed, they enabled bridging with both hoppers connected to my network. The Joeys would lose connection to the Hoppers and would not reconnect. Now only one Joey is connected to the network and there are no more problems of that nature. Everyone can access the internet.
I am guessing that there was multiple pathways through the network before. My limited networking experience has taught me that this would lead to trouble.

Can one of you Dish-trained technical quys please explain what the purpose of "Bridging" is on the Hoppers? I assume it separates the MOCA network from the ethernet but I would like to know for sure. Also, should both of my HWS hoppers be connected to my home network/internet router or just one? Thanks for your help.

Confuses me a bit as well. With my HWS connection via it's wireless receiver and 2 Joeys by coaxial only, I have full Internet integration on all devices whether or not bridging is enabled. Since it's not necessary, I leave it disabled. I would "assume" it's function comes into play with Joeys connected via other than coaxial?

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

If it's not enabled you should not be able to access Facebook or Pandora. Can you use those apps?

Actually, I use neither of those & have not checked. I can however, access other apps (such as Game Finder) as well as On Demand & other on-line content.

It looks like the network connectivity may be different in HWS and H2K? I have 2 H2k and 2 Joeys and in order to get internet connectivity I have to have an H2K connected to the router and have bridging enabled on that Hopper. If I disable bridging the MOCA network still works but I lose internet connections on the other boxes.

I'd test those out and see if they work.

Pandora app opens & says a HIC or direct Internet connection is required. Facebook app opens & request login information which, I don't have since I don't use it. Seems odd since all the other stuff using Internet access seems to work fine. As I said above, the bridging function can be a bit confusing.

I have ethernet anywhere. I find the system is more stable if I disable bridging and run ethernet to each STB. That way moca is only used for the dish video streams and no internet traffic seeps into the dish moca system.

I have ethernet anywhere. I find the system is more stable if I disable bridging and run ethernet to each STB. That way moca is only used for the dish video streams and no internet traffic seeps into the dish moca system.

When all STBs are connected by Ethernet or wireless to the router, isn't your system no longer using Moca technology? Help me out computer geeks out there or someone that knows. If your Dish system is in all wireless or Ethernet mode does all the coax connected to the Hoppers and Joeys just using satellite signals and no networking stuff going on? I am not sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts