Blu Tooth Headphones

Skytrooper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Baden, Pa.
I am interested in getting a pair of these. Just have a few questions.

1. Do you need to get a special brand to work with the Hopper?
2. Is the freq. response good?
3. Can I use them while others are listening to the speakers?
4. Can I just turn them on and use them instead of going thru menus?
5. Do you have to mess with volume settings?

Kind of new to this and don't want to get something that I will regret later.

I am interested in getting a pair of these. Just have a few questions.

No

My headphones sound great... Motorola S9

Yes, the tv speakers still provide audio.

I believe you must go through the menus when you first connect but after that if they remain paired turning the headphones on should work.

No

Kind of new to this and don't want to get something that I will regret later.

Bluetooth Is Good, But Has Limitations With Hopper

Try Bluetooth, you'll like it.

I have used a number of Bluetooth stereo headsets and portable, battery-powered, Bluetooth stereo receivers. All worked well.
They sound great to me, but I am not a good judge due to high frequency hearing loss. HWS Bluetooth does not link to IPads or other apple devices. Don't know about Android but I doubt it.
Yes, I do so. HWS has Bluetooth built in. The output is fixed and independent of the Hopper/TV volume control.
Here's where HWS is limited. Every time the Bluetooth device is turned on, it must be reconnected to the HWS.
a. Turn on Bluetooth device and put in pair mode.
b. On remote press:
Yellow button
Bluetooth button
(First time only) Find Devices button
(First time only) Accept default code when device is found
Status will list your device and say "Paired - Not Connected"
Place arrow on the bar listing your device and press Select button
Place arrow over Connect and press Select button.
<HWS does not find your device every time so you may have repeat the last step>
Listen.
Not for the TV - can even be muted. I find that an amplifier (portable or built in) on the receiving end is essential. Most people will want at least a volume control (turns down the volume but not up.) YMMV.

----------
Having to reconnect every time is a pain. Also, HWS will only allow two devices at a time to be paired - connected or not.

Still, I find Bluetooth to be the best option. Hopefully, Dish will improve things on their end?

I am pleased with Meee and FiiO brands. No-name devices work fine as well. I like the MEElectronics AF9-BK since I can use any headphones with it and tuck it in my pocket. Battery life is about four hours so I have two. They recharge in about an hour.

Thanks guys. Bamafan spoke a about an amplifier. I want to be able to control the volume to my liking. Can you explain a little more on this issue? Also I think I may prefer over the ear cups,lite weight and decent battery life. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Some users say volume is limited due to safety concerns. If at times I want to crank em up a little, I don't want to be limited to doing this because of safety issues. I know high volume is not good for you, but sometimes I get in the mood and would not do that for long periods of time.

The volume is quite good on both of my sets (one over the ear, one in the ear) on both of out Hoppers.

3. You might hear an echo (audio not in sync) if you can hear TV speakers while using them.

I wasn't as clear as I wanted to be about the amplifier. Yes, as a rule, Bluetooth headphones have an integral volume control. This generally does not include amplification. That would add extra cost to the design. Most wired headphones do not have inline volume controls. Most earbuds with microphones do not include inline volume controls.

A separate amplifier, of course, only works with wired headphones (including over the ear, ear hooks and earbuds). I have a FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier - E11, which is excellent. Lots of amplification and a large battery. The setup is Bluetooth receiver to amplifier to headphones. Everything in my shirt pocket except the headphones. One receiver which needs the extra amplification, for me, is the Kanex AirBlue Portable Bluetooth Music Receiver. YMMV.

i use open air over-the-ear wired headphones for TV and music. Some times I use hooked-over-the-ear headphones that don't use a band to connect the two ear pieces. Behind-the-head types with bands aren't comfortable with a headrest. I sleep with earbuds connected to an itouch set to turn off after 30 minutes. The earbuds are still in my ears in the morning.

Just a couple of added comments to what's already been said.

I have never had to re-connect my headphones. Once I set them up and set the volume, all I have to do is turn them on and the sound is perfect. I get excellent frequency response and plenty of volume.

The only problem I've had, as mentioned in a different thread, is that the lip sync of the sound is off a bit. I'm hearing the sound just a split second PRIOR to the speaker's mouth speaking the words. I'm getting used to it now and it doesn't bother me.

Larry
SF

I have had some issues with the bluetooth dropping sound. Sometimes it happens when I am skipping ahead in shows. Just turn off the headphones and let them reconnect to the hopper fixes it. It could be the headphones I have (rocktefish brand). But yeah, once they are paired, as soon as you turn the headphones on, they automatically connect to the hopper. I use mine when the wife wants to go to sleep (this is my bedroom hopper) and I turn the volume all the way down on the tv and use the volume on the headphones. Works really well except when mine drop occasionally.

I have had some issues with the bluetooth dropping sound. Sometimes it happens when I am skipping ahead in shows. Just turn off the headphones and let them reconnect to the hopper fixes it. It could be the headphones I have (rocktefish brand). But yeah, once they are paired, as soon as you turn the headphones on, they automatically connect to the hopper. I use mine when the wife wants to go to sleep (this is my bedroom hopper) and I turn the volume all the way down on the tv and use the volume on the headphones. Works really well except when mine drop occasionally.

X2. Only loses sound when doing several skips. Otherwise just turn em on and listen away. Don't remember my specific headset, but was just about the cheapest I could find on Amazon. About 20 bucks.

The MEElectronic Air Fi Matrix are the ones I now am most interested in. I am wondering if 109$ is a little steep and may regret it later. Still looking.

The MEElectronic Air Fi Matrix are the ones I now am most interested in. I am wondering if 109$ is a little steep and may regret it later. Still looking.
My daughter has these. Yeah they are expensive but for sure they are comfortable. I myself have Creative 450's which are excellent for me but the comfort of MEElectronics over the ear are superior. I connect mine to my Panasonic GT50 which offers direct control through the volume of the TV.

Kinivo BTH240

I purchased the Kinivo BTH240 headphones through Amazon for $30. Used them for the 1st time this morning at 2am when I couldn't sleep. They paired easily with the Hopper, and worked well with SD programming on MeTv. However, Showtime HD had a sound delay of over a half-second or maybe even a whole second which was very distracting. I'm thinking the delay will be with all HD programming, will be able to tell when I use them again. I'm also thinking the delay is not due to the headphones, but due to the Hopper or simply Bluetooth technology trying to cram too much audio data through that RF pipeline.

fredp, comfort is very important to me. nmguy, I wonder if the headphones could be causing the sound delay. Anyone else having delay issues? Getting itchy and soon will make my purchase.

fredp, comfort is very important to me. nmguy, I wonder if the headphones could be causing the sound delay. Anyone else having delay issues? Getting itchy and soon will make my purchase.
I believe some others have stated the same with delays. Check this thread. I use my headphones directly from my Panasonic GT50. There is a voice delay/advance slide option that can accommodate for the problem on my TV that I have not had to use as my voices are in sync( Hopper/S => TV => BT headphones). Hopper/S to TV is via HDMI. The option tells me that in some cases this is a real concern. With no formal proof I think its the Hopper having the issue.

This is diverting from the OP's original ?s, but the issue being discussed here is usually called input lag. It's caused by the video signal processing delays that occur in mostly the newer TVs. My LG 3D tv has a lag of about 200 ms. So, when you compare with the raw audio out of the H, the audio is 200 ms ahead of the video. There is a test program you can run to prove this, but it requires the use of a tube type tv and high speed camera to catch the images on it and the other newer tv at the same time. I ran this test a couple of years ago when I still had a 622 and got the new LG.
Back to the bluetooth, I ran 2 headsets at the same time. The BT and a regular set with line-in from the H audio out (red & white). Listening to both at the same time (1 earpiece of each on different ears), there was barely any detectable lag between the two. So, I wouldn't fault the H for any snyc problems with the BT.
My problem with the H BT is the high raw amplitude. With my headset set as low as possible, I was getting 72 dB with a sound level meter. I went into the Audio settings and changed Volume Leveling to Disable and Mode to Line. This reduced the output to 62 dB. Still way too high. I did a power cord reset and with the standard settings, the audio was reduced from 72 to 58 dB. Making the audio adjustment as above, I would est. the audio is now about 30 dB (my meter only goes down to 50). Still should really be lower.
I've tested my BT headphones against my Samsung phone and a Samsung Tab 3 and verified the volume adjustment works ok. The headphone is a monoprice PID# 10245. Sound quality is fantastic.
So my ? is; has anyone else experienced an above normal BT volume?

My problem with the H BT is the high raw amplitude. With my headset set as low as possible, I was getting 72 dB with a sound level meter. I went into the Audio settings and changed Volume Leveling to Disable and Mode to Line. This reduced the output to 62 dB. Still way too high. I did a power cord reset and with the standard settings, the audio was reduced from 72 to 58 dB. Making the audio adjustment as above, I would est. the audio is now about 30 dB (my meter only goes down to 50). Still should really be lower.
I've tested my BT headphones against my Samsung phone and a Samsung Tab 3 and verified the volume adjustment works ok. The headphone is a monoprice PID# 10245. Sound quality is fantastic.
So my ? is; has anyone else experienced an above normal BT volume?
I am able to turn the volume down to no sound at all with my Arion Model: ET-ARHP200BF headphones when paired to any device I have including my HWS receivers. Then I had a thought and set my hearing aids to max volume and again paired to my HWS and still was able to turn the volume all the way down to no sound.

I'm wondering if the BT in your HWS is defective and enough of a reason to have it replaced? Do you have a neighbor or friend who you could visit to try your headphones with their HWS? You are welcome to come over for a cup of coffee and a headphone test.

BTW, I would not recommend the Arions. The foam on the pad over your head is too smooth so they tend to slide around on my head, annoying to say the least, and the sound seems to peak at the very high frequency end of the range causing what I would call a lisp or hiss on everything coming through.

So far I've only had the audio sync problem that one time, and it was pretty bad. Perhaps its a random problem, or perhaps its that Showtime channel, I have not watched it again since. Interestingly I have 2 Hoppers within bluetooth range of each other, I just need to pair with the one I want to watch each time unless its the same one from last time, then I just turn the headphones on. The Kinivo BTH240 headphones sound good to me, just enough bass, although high freq is lacking, not much tinkling where there should be. But for $30 at Amazon can't go wrong.

I have never had to re-connect my headphones. Once I set them up and set the volume, all I have to do is turn them on and the sound is perfect. I get excellent frequency response and plenty of volume.
Larry
SF

I was intrigued by your comment because re-connecting every time is a pain.

Turns out that BT 4.0 has the auto connect. I upgraded to new version BT receivers and they are better in every respect. Auto connect and plenty of volume, even for me.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)