Bringing OTA and Sat in the house on single coax.

I found a splitter labeled 5-890mhz and a 3 way splitter 5-900mhz. I don't imagine a 3 way splitter will be a big deal just for test purposes. If this works I will buy a new single splitter.
The 3 way splitter will probably degrade the signal a bit more but it won't hurt to try.

Well, No dice....I did a scan and got no OTA channels, I should have about 19. Everything else appears to be working.
Hmmm.......

Remove the cable from the ota module and connect it directly to the coax input on the tv.

Does your tv pick up any ota channels after you perform a scan?

My splitters must be working or I would not be getting reception on TV2.
Remove the cable from the ota module and connect it directly to the coax input on the tv.

Does your tv pick up any ota channels after you perform a scan?

Shoot, I already disconnected everything. I am going to borrow a 2 way splitter tomorrow from a coworker and give it a try again and will do what mentioned here.

Also, thank you for all the input thus far, I appreciate it.

Reactions: richeydog
The 3 way splitter will probably degrade the signal a bit more but it won't hurt to try.
As I mentioned, it depends which "leg" of the 3 way splitter you're using. A 3 way splitter is basically two splitters in series with each other. So the first splitter cuts the signal in 1/2 for each output. One of those is an output of the 3 way. The other output gets split again (another 1/2 power cut, meaning you're now down to 1/4). A 3 way splitter would have 50% power on one leg and 25% power on the other two legs.

OP, can you connect your antenna directly to your TV or OTA tuner for testing with no splitters and see what you get? Then you would have a "baseline" and can judge accordingly. If you get nothing with a direct connection, you'll get nothing with splitters in the line.

Reactions: richeydog
OP, can you connect your antenna directly to your TV or OTA tuner for testing with no splitters and see what you get? Then you would have a "baseline" and can judge accordingly. If you get nothing with a direct connection, you'll get nothing with splitters in the line.

Before I disconnected everything, I hooked up the outdoor antenna directly to the OTA tuner coming in through the door with a length of coax i had, I wanted to verify if I could get any signal at all w/ the amplified antenna not plugged into power source and I did end up with signal on one channel but I did not do a full scan. I will do that again and connect it direct to TV and do a scan and see what I get. That's just a good idea to see if I get any improvement at all vs. my current indoor antenna. If no improvement, no reason to keep messing with this I guess.

Ok, the latest test. Amplified antenna w/ no power hooked directly to TV tuner I get 6 channels, half of which are very weak. However, if I turn on the power to the amplified antenna I get all 17 available in our area at a much higher strength then my current indoor antenna which pixelates and is not reliable. So I guess the question is, is it safe to run a powered up amplified antenna through the diplexers and splitters???

Ok, the latest test. Amplified antenna w/ no power hooked directly to TV tuner I get 6 channels, half of which are very weak. However, if I turn on the power to the amplified antenna I get all 17 available in our area at a much higher strength then my current indoor antenna which pixelates and is not reliable. So I guess the question is, is it safe to run a powered up amplified antenna through the diplexers and splitters???
How does your antenna get power? Is there an in line power inserter? Something like this?
GetImage.ashx

If so, put this inserter right before/after (depending on how you're looking at it) all the diplexers/splitters. So the signal path for the antenna RF would be something like:
TV/OTA Tuner -- Diplexer (separating sat/OTA) --Diplexer (combining sat/OTA) -- Inserter -- Antenna.

It's important to note a diplexer and a splitter are NOT the same thing and will not work the same way. A diplexer will either combine/separate two frequency bands (in this case satellite and VHF/UHF). A splitter will simply split all the signals (at a 50% signal loss for every split... ie: a 2 port splitter will split 50%, a 3 port splitter will have one leg at 50% and the other two at 25%, a four port will have them all at 25%, etc).

How a diplexer would be hooked up:
diplexer.gif

It's not 50%

Loss is measured in Db

Most 2 way splitters loose 2.5 Db

A 4 way might loose 7.5 Db

The loss is really not an issue if you have enough signal before the splitter to compensate for the loss.

Reactions: pattykay
How does your antenna get power? Is there an in line power inserter? Something like this?
GetImage.ashx

If so, put this inserter right before/after (depending on how you're looking at it) all the diplexers/splitters. So the signal path for the antenna RF would be something like:
TV/OTA Tuner -- Diplexer (separating sat/OTA) --Diplexer (combining sat/OTA) -- Inserter -- Antenna.

You cannot use an inline antenna power inserter with this type of setup even if you could get it to work.

The dish receiver is already sending 20 volts to the LNB through the same coax.

There is no way to split our separate power.

When I sold Voom, they used to make this special diplexer to use with a winguard powered antenna.

You would install it at the dish and it would use the power from the sat receiver to power the LNB on the dish and weingard antenna.

I'll draw out a wiring diagram later and post it

GetImage.ashx

It does look somewhat similar to that. I am sure it's the same concept. I get what what you are saying, that makes sense.

With what ClaudeG says then maybe my best bet (short of wedging myself into the narrowest of crawlspaces to run a separate OTA line to tuner) is to invest in a better quality amplified indoor antenna and see if that gives me the signal improvement I need.

The other thing to consider is your probably getting a 10db gain with that powered antenna. By the time you run through both diplexers, splitters, etc your going to loose the 10 Db gain.

Here is a tip. If the cable is in a tight crawl space, run 2 new cables and use the old existing cable as a pull for the new wire.

It's not 50%

Loss is measured in Db

Most 2 way splitters loose 2.5 Db

A 4 way might loose 7.5 Db

The loss is really not an issue if you have enough signal before the splitter to compensate for the loss.
Most 2 way splitters lose 3.5 db, not 2.5. A four way would be -7 db at each output. Here's an explainer... http://support.channelmaster.com/hc...ch-Signal-Do-I-Lose-Going-Through-A-Splitter-
You might also want to read up on what/how to measure with db: http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.htm

The one thing you have right is the loss isn't an issue if you have enough signal.

You cannot use an inline antenna power inserter with this type of setup even if you could get it to work.

The dish receiver is already sending 20 volts to the LNB through the same coax.

There is no way to split our separate power.

When I sold Voom, they used to make this special diplexer to use with a winguard powered antenna.

You would install it at the dish and it would use the power from the sat receiver to power the LNB on the dish and weingard antenna.

I'll draw out a wiring diagram later and post it
Wow, you are just a fount of knowledge, aren't you? This is the setup I have in my house. Most diplexers will power pass on the satellite leg and block on the antenna leg. Here. Look at all these diplexers, and notice they all show the satellite as "power pass". The OTA leg doesn't show that. https://www.google.com/search?q=sat...KEwjrmPr8rujRAhVIzIMKHXstByoQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=_

Even if they didn't, the power inserter is a one way device (sending power toward the antenna, and not toward the TV). So, my Dish receivers send power from the coax (through the diplexers) to the LNBs. Before my antenna signal hits the diplexer, there's an inline power inserter.

Wow, you are just a fount of knowledge, aren't you? This is the setup I have in my house. Most diplexers will power pass on the satellite leg and block on the antenna leg. Here. Look at all these diplexers, and notice they all show the satellite as "power pass". The OTA leg doesn't show that. https://www.google.com/search?q=sat...KEwjrmPr8rujRAhVIzIMKHXstByoQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=_

Even if they didn't, the power inserter is a one way device (sending power toward the antenna, and not toward the TV). So, my Dish receivers send power from the coax (through the diplexers) to the LNBs. Before my antenna signal hits the diplexer, there's an inline power inserter.
But, You don't want Power on the Satellite side.
You'll fry the LNB.

So can you power the OTA side only?
I haven't seen a Duplexer with Power pass on the Antenna side.
Only on a Combiner which Claude did post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)