Broadband Questions

loubon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2010
New Jersey
I am thinking of adding the broadband option and although I've searched other threads I can't quite get all my answers straight in my head so I thought I'd just ask them here in one thread.

First, my equipment - 2 622's and a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 Ghz with Speed Booster WRT54GS in a different room than where the two 622s are.

My questions and assumptions I need to validate are first about Home Plug vs. WiFi and then some general performance questions.

I'm leaning towards the HomePlug since my understanding is I would only need one for $30 vs. two WiFis at $25 each. Is that correct?

How is the performance through the HomePlug when the receivers are in different parts of the house? I know that when I use my laptop via Wifi in the same room as one of the 622s (the furthest one) I get constant buffering with streaming content. I would think that HomePlug emulates a wired network and this wouldn't happen. Does this happen with the Home Plug (or even the WiFi for the 622 for that matter)?

And finally do both options work with my router? I saw a lot mentioned about Netgear but not as much about Linksys. Also, does it need to be a dual band (?) to be able to handle streaming content (not sure if that is the right terminology).

Thanks in advance as I know I always get great advice here and have learned a lot from all of you just reading here on a regular basis (although I like the video option on the channel guide). ;)

Do you have need for more than just 1 network connection by either of your receivers?

If you did.. then I'd recommend getting a Buffalo 300N router ... wipe out its OS (firmware) and load DD-WRT onto it. DD-WRT has configs for making the 5 ports on its back side, used as a wireless bridge / access point.

at the far side of my house.. I have one 722k, a bluray player, my Onkyo internet enabled AV receiver, a Wii & an Xbox, and a non-wireless pc. Rather than getting wireless dongles for each device.. I plugged them into an 8 port switch... then connected to one of the Buffalo routers.. that does the wireless bridge to the rest of my network... high speed N ... leaving 54G open for the laptops.

In my case.. I actually bought *two* of the buffalo's (newegg.com $40 bucks each) and created a completely separate network just for all the wireless non-pc stuff.. both my 722's come to it, as well as my 211k, the upstairs wii..(yes even though wireless is built in) and that way there's no contention for *wireless* bandwidth in the house..

Do you have need for more than just 1 network connection by either of your receivers?

If you did.. then I'd recommend getting a Buffalo 300N router ... wipe out its OS (firmware) and load DD-WRT onto it. DD-WRT has configs for making the 5 ports on its back side, used as a wireless bridge / access point.

at the far side of my house.. I have one 722k, a bluray player, my Onkyo internet enabled AV receiver, a Wii & an Xbox, and a non-wireless pc. Rather than getting wireless dongles for each device.. I plugged them into an 8 port switch... then connected to one of the Buffalo routers.. that does the wireless bridge to the rest of my network... high speed N ... leaving 54G open for the laptops.

In my case.. I actually bought *two* of the buffalo's (newegg.com $40 bucks each) and created a completely separate network just for all the wireless non-pc stuff.. both my 722's come to it, as well as my 211k, the upstairs wii..(yes even though wireless is built in) and that way there's no contention for *wireless* bandwidth in the house..

You sure like complicated. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)