State/ocal Tax

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WB0JFC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I live in Nevada and have never had a tax on my Dish bill. In the last month I replaced one of my 508 DVRs with a 722K. My next bill is now showing a $1.00 State/Local Tax. I chated with a CSR and was told that it was because I now had a DVR fee due to the 722K. This sounds bogus to me. Has anyone else ran into this? Is it legit or is Dish stiffing me for an extra dollar each month?

Yes, Dish is taxing DVR fees, there was another thread where this was talked about.

The 508 is an older DVR, which we did not charge the DVR Service fee on that receiver. All DVR receivers, excluding 501 and 508 (40 and 60 hours recording times, respectively), do have the DVR fee. If you have any other questions, please contact our DIRT team. Thanks.

Democrats.

Not to start a fight, just to point out a fact, Nevada has had Republican governors since 1999.

Being in sales tax free Oregon, I don't know what rate Nevada has, but a buck on six (16%) does seem awfully high.

EatMyVolts said:
Not to start a fight, just to point out a fact, Nevada has had Republican governors since 1999.

Being in sales tax free Oregon, I don't know what rate Nevada has, but a buck on six (16%) does seem awfully high.

Even when a Republican is elected in MA we have had a democratic legislature. Sales tax in MA is 6.25%. I agree a buck is out rageous. Maybe the question to Dish hould be what is the Sales Tax rate NV harold them to charge. Could be thee is a telecommunications tax that the DVR fee falls under that is a different rate than the general sales tax...just a thought

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Off topic anyone have recomendation for a better keyboard than the stock one for a droid x. My typing sucks on a good day but it is worse on this thing and thee is no backspace key.

All I know is that I get taxed $.90 on my bill each month. Sales tax in Michigan is 6%. Don't know about local taxes in Livonia, MI. 6% of $6.00 equals $.36. Looks like I'm being overcharged, but again I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for the responses. It was a charge I was not expecting so was a little surprised. It looks like the monthly amount will be about $0.43. The $1.00 included some back charges for when the 722K was installed.

I live in Nevada and have never had a tax on my Dish bill. In the last month I replaced one of my 508 DVRs with a 722K. My next bill is now showing a $1.00 State/Local Tax. I chated with a CSR and was told that it was because I now had a DVR fee due to the 722K. This sounds bogus to me. Has anyone else ran into this? Is it legit or is Dish stiffing me for an extra dollar each month?

Contact your Nevada Department of Revenue and ask them if they have recently enacted legislation to specifically tax SATELLITE DELIVERY or SATELLITE EQUIPMENT lease fees.

I had this happen in Illinois about 2 years ago and kept contacting Dish Network who fed me a line of crap about taxes on DVRs. I finally contacted the Illinois Department of Revenue who very explicitly stated that neither Illinois or Chicago imposed taxes on either satellite delivery fees or equipment - when that equipment is owned. Chicago DOES impose a leasing tax on the LEASE FEES ONLY for any equipment LEASED by residents of CHICAGO, but I OWN my equipment and do not lease it.

After more than two years of fighting with Dish Network I finally got the taxes removed from my bill and forwarded the information to the Illinois Department of Revenue.

They are supposed to contact Dish Network to make certain that all taxes improperly collected are REFUNDED to every subscriber in Illinois who had them collected for the full time they were collected. They stated that Dish Network never had any right to collect taxes at any level because Illinois does not collect sales or use taxes on satellite transmission or equipment.

They stated that the City of Chicago needed to contact Dish Network to work out details for collecting LEASE FEES only on LEASED EQUIPMENT but that Dish Network would have to adapt their systems to correctly show who OWNED and who LEASED equipment so that leasing taxes could be properly collected ONLY from those who LEASE equipment.

Both the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois stated that NO TAXES ARE ALLOWED TO BE COLLECTED FOR DELIVERY OF SATELLITE SERVICES.

In Illinois there is no sales tax on services or delivery fees - only on the COST OF THE ACTUAL ITEM SOLD. Content does not qualify for "goods."

There is currently NO FEDERAL LAW which mandates collecting taxes on satellite delivery services in ANY state. Taxes are strictly a STATE and MUNICIPAL decision when it comes to satellite and equipment lease fees.

Dish Network has finally removed the monthly taxes from my bill and refunded me for only a small portion of the total sales / equipment taxes they collected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)