Browns Fire GM Phil Savage, RAC to follow

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3795786"]Sources: Cleveland Browns' Romeo Crennel, Phil Savage ousted - ESPN[/ame]

After a season of disappointment and embarrassment, it was clear someone had to take the fall. While I thought Romeo would be the first to go, I have to admit I am a tad surprised by the ousting of our GM, Phil Savage.

Obviously there were a lot of things that went wrong this season that must be blamed on Savage. Most notably, the Kellen Winslow situation and the ridiculous email to a fan immediately following the Buffalo game were too much for Randy Lerner to take. I can’t say that I disagree with the firing, but I do think that from a pure talent acquisition standpoint the Browns are better off than before Phil Savage started. Whether we miss Savage or not will obviously depend on who replaces him and how that person does.

According to sources, head coach Romeo Crennel (aka RAC) is the next to go. News on his firing could come as soon as this afternoon.

Team owner Randy Lerner is plenty pissed and he is likely to toss major money at a top notch GM and/or head coach. For the fans sake, let's hope there is a saving grace for this franchise once and for all.....

Another downward spiral of a bad team.

Kidding aside, I really hope that team gets better, yeah I liked the game Sunday, hell what Steeler fan wouldn't:D, but something has to be said about a game between two division rivals, and the game is for the playoffs.

Another downward spiral of a bad team.

Kidding aside, I really hope that team gets better, yeah I liked the game Sunday, hell what Steeler fan wouldn't:D, but something has to be said about a game between two division rivals, and the game is for the playoffs.

As soon as I get my thoughts together, I will be back with a more in depth viewpoint on the state of my Browns. BTW yesterday marked the bookend of 10 years since the Browns returned to the NFL after the original franchise was moved to Baltimore......

As soon as I get my thoughts together, I will be back with a more in depth viewpoint on the state of my Browns. BTW yesterday marked the bookend of 10 years since the Browns returned to the NFL after the original franchise was moved to Baltimore......

If my math is right...they are 54-106 in those 10 years. Your team needs a lot of help.

ESPN - Sources: Cleveland Browns' Romeo Crennel, Phil Savage ousted

After a season of disappointment and embarrassment, it was clear someone had to take the fall. While I thought Romeo would be the first to go, I have to admit I am a tad surprised by the ousting of our GM, Phil Savage.

Obviously there were a lot of things that went wrong this season that must be blamed on Savage. Most notably, the Kellen Winslow situation and the ridiculous email to a fan immediately following the Buffalo game were too much for Randy Lerner to take. I can’t say that I disagree with the firing, but I do think that from a pure talent acquisition standpoint the Browns are better off than before Phil Savage started. Whether we miss Savage or not will obviously depend on who replaces him and how that person does.

According to sources, head coach Romeo Crennel (aka RAC) is the next to go. News on his firing could come as soon as this afternoon.

Team owner Randy Lerner is plenty pissed and he is likely to toss major money at a top notch GM and/or head coach. For the fans sake, let's hope there is a saving grace for this franchise once and for all.....

Savage was fired OVER the PHONE ....

How Classy ...

Jimbo

I am a die hard Browns fan. And I have always said. When they moved to Baltimore the pride of the team moved. What I mean is this....All those years in Cleveland. The way of life, the way to play, just the everyday living there in Browns headquarters moved. Thats from years of living as a Cleveland Brown. Just past down to player after player. Now they moved. True the records, colors, name stayed in Cleveland. Thats it. But the pride to be a Brown. The history moved. I have always felt that way. Whats going on in Batimore suppose to be happening in Cleveland. I dont care how many old timers from the past they bring in. It is just not the same. These kids wont get it. Why? Because all that moved. True none of those players that moved are on the Ravens now. But.....the way of living is still there. The Cleveland Brown way to play football. You feel me? It has been past down to the players of today. Just my two cent.

I am a die hard Browns fan. And I have always said. When they moved to Baltimore the pride of the team moved. What I mean is this....All those years in Cleveland. The way of life, the way to play, just the everyday living there in Browns headquarters moved. Thats from years of living as a Cleveland Brown. Just past down to player after player. Now they moved. True the records, colors, name stayed in Cleveland. Thats it. But the pride to be a Brown. The history moved. I have always felt that way. Whats going on in Batimore suppose to be happening in Cleveland. I dont care how many old timers from the past they bring in. It is just not the same. These kids wont get it. Why? Because all that moved. True none of those players that moved are on the Ravens now. But.....the way of living is still there. The Cleveland Brown way to play football. You feel me? It has been past down to the players of today. Just my two cent.

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. That's an excuse for failure, not a reason.

Besides, most of the players that were from the old school Browns are no longer in the league or even alive. Most young players coming into the league have no sense of history and instead have to be taught. It has been a long time since the Browns have been respectable. Winning creates respectability. Since we've struggled to win consistently since coming back in 1999, the modern player has forgotten that this team actually used to be great and the storied past that is associated with wearing the Orange and Brown.

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. That's an excuse for failure, not a reason.

Besides, most of the players that were from the old school Browns are no longer in the league or even alive. Most young players coming into the league have no sense of history and instead have to be taught. It has been a long time since the Browns have been respectable. Winning creates respectability. Since we've struggled to win consistently since coming back in 1999, the modern player has forgotten that this team actually used to be great and the storied past that is associated with wearing the Orange and Brown.

Thats im sayin. IT LEFT. Not an excuse for failure. I just dont see Browns football anymore. You feel me?? Browns Football. I spent the past 22 years in the Navy. Away from Cleveland. For 22 years! When I left..The drive, The fumble. All that was going on. That type of football. Hard noise, In your face Browns Football left. You see it in Ray Lewis and that Defense. Why?? Because it left from Cleveland and went to Baltimore. It was passed down from former players. IN CLEVELAND!

Savage is a great evaulator of talent, but it is possible that he doesn't have the other necessary skills to succeed in the big chair. I must admit that when he was first offered the Browns job that I wanted the Ravens to give him their GM job and retire Ozzie, thinking that Phil had been more responsible than Newsome for the Ravens' success in player acquisition.

In hindsight, I was very wrong.

Last edited:
Thats im sayin. IT LEFT. Not an excuse for failure. I just dont see Browns football anymore. You feel me?? Browns Football. I spent the past 22 years in the Navy. Away from Cleveland. For 22 years! When I left..The drive, The fumble. All that was going on. That type of football. Hard noise, In your face Browns Football left. You see it in Ray Lewis and that Defense. Why?? Because it left from Cleveland and went to Baltimore. It was passed down from former players. IN CLEVELAND!

Ray Lewis has NOTHING to do with Cleveland.
He came in AFTER the Browns moved.

The type of D they play in Baltimore is BECAUSE of Lewis and Reed.

Jimbo

Jimbo

Laaawwddd!! I know Ray Ray has nothing to do with Cleveland. I know.

But! Look.... The only thing that stayed in Cleveland was the colors, the records, the history, the name. THATS IT.

Look....This is what I am saying. THE HEART, THE PRIDE, THE PLAYERS that was here when they left. It was pasted down to them from years of being in Cleveland. That left. Which in turn was pasted down to the current Ravens. Which includes Ray Ray. Do you feel me? Thats what I am saying.
1999 rolled around. Not a single person understood Browns football. Yeah that brought Jim Brown in...and others. But that family past down left. Do feel me?
Thats all im saying. Just the way I feel. That swagger is gone.

I agree with you to a certain extent. When the team left, the entire culture (at the top) left with it. Philosophy, style and *team identity* is passed down through good organizations (which the Browns were)....When we came back in 99, we were an expansion team with no corporate culture/identity.

Now, we can't blame everything on the move. 10 years is plenty of time for an expansion team to build its own way and create its own culture of winning. Much of the blame has to be placed on horrible draft picks, inept coaching, and other poor decisions at the top.

Jimbo

But the culture of picking players like Lewis and Reed and having that style of team descends from Cleveland.

I agree with you to a certain extent. When the team left, the entire culture (at the top) left with it. Philosophy, style and *team identity* is passed down through good organizations (which the Browns were)....When we came back in 99, we were an expansion team with no corporate culture/identity.

Now, we can't blame everything on the move. 10 years is plenty of time for an expansion team to build its own way and create its own culture of winning. Much of the blame has to be placed on horrible draft picks, inept coaching, and other poor decisions at the top.

True. Thank U! :D

But! Look.... The only thing that stayed in Cleveland was the colors, the records, the history, the name. THATS IT.

Look....This is what I am saying. THE HEART, THE PRIDE, THE PLAYERS that was here when they left. It was pasted down to them from years of being in Cleveland. That left. Which in turn was pasted down to the current Ravens. Which includes Ray Ray. Do you feel me? Thats what I am saying.
1999 rolled around. Not a single person understood Browns football. Yeah that brought Jim Brown in...and others. But that family past down left. Do feel me?
Thats all im saying. Just the way I feel. That swagger is gone.

And the puts you one set of colors, one set of records, a history, and a name ahead of Baltimore.

Actually, when the team moved here, the Ravens FO had to completely breakdown the old Browns in order to get their own team. Most of the players who came from Cleveland to Baltimore were quickly dispatched because those vets, while talented, seemed to work against the organization (many were, quite understandably, loyal to the Cleveland fans and pretty upset by the move). Everitt, Jones, Williams, Pepper Johnson, Eric Turner were all moved out-some without even playing a game here.

Not one old Brown ever became a leader in Baltimore, except maybe Rob Burnett. So no Brown tradition or intensity was passed down to anyone. Lewis, Ogden, and later Reed and Suggs made their own heart and pride. They had no Cleveland vets to learn from or look up to.

Matt Stover, the kicker, is the only player left who ever played in Cleveland.

The Ravens organiztion in no way played on the history of the Browns as motivation or anything else. They don't even play on the history of the old Colts, except to honor former players once in awhile like during the current celebration of the 1958 NFL championship.

For all practical purposes, the Ravens were an expansion team that started in 1996.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)