Browns' Winslow says he had staph infection

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
LANDOVER, Md. (AP) — Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow confirmed a staph infection caused his recent hospitalization and criticized the team Sunday for treating him "like a piece of meat."

After the Browns' 14-11 loss to Washington, Winslow said he was upset the team wanted to keep the infection quiet and blamed him for not wanting it revealed.

Winslow was hospitalized for three days last week, and Browns coach Romeo Crennel refused to discuss his condition, citing privacy laws and Winslow's preference not to disclose any medical information.

Winslow said he was upset general manager Phil Savage did not call him while he was hospitalized.

"I heard from Romeo Crennel and I heard from my position coach (Alfredo Roberts) when I was in the Clinic. I heard from my teammates," Winslow told the (Cleveland) Plain Dealer. "But I never heard from the main man — Phil Savage — and that really disappoints me. Sometimes I don't even feel a part of this team."

Winslow said he considered asking for a trade before last Tuesday's deadline. He said he spoke to Savage on Sunday and voiced his frustration.

"I feel I've done a lot for this team, played through a lot of pain and given it my all," Winslow said. "I just thought there'd be a little more 'How are you doing?' by him."

It was Winslow's second staph infection and the sixth by a Browns player since 2005.

"There's obviously a problem (with staph) and we have to fix it," he said. "Just look at the history around here. It's unfortunate, because it happens time and time again."

Winslow's NFL career has been hindered by injuries, with at least four surgeries on his right knee, which he severely injured during a near-fatal motorcycle crash in 2005. His knee was later infected with staph, which had to be cleaned out and delayed his comeback.

"I'm just frustrated with a lot of things," he said. "I feel it's been going on for a while. I don't get treated right and it's not fair. Sometimes I just feel under-appreciated. I felt it was time to say something."

The Associated Press: Browns' Winslow says he had staph infection

1. The staph-infection thingy going around is indeed a problem. We've had way too many players infected. The Browns need to find the cause and take steps to help reduce the risk.

2. Romeo came from New England and has the same mentality when it comes to disclosing certain things relating to the team. At times it can be frustrating, but the Browns always try to stay mum on player's issues including: illnesses and injuries.

3. Kellen Winslow has voiced his desire for a new contract at the beginning of the year. I think him "not feeling accepted" has more to do with him still wanting a new contract and being frustrated with the losses and less to do with the GM calling him to make sure he is feeling well.

IMHO The Clowns would be better without him.

He's a great player and when on the field, always plays his ass off. He is one of the toughest SOB's out there too. He's been through a ton of surgeries and his legs are in constant pain, but always plays through it.

With that said, I don't agree with him wanting to renegotiate a contract that he's already bound too. The Browns stuck with him during his motorcycle accident and throughout his separate ACL tear suffered on the field.

He's a great player and when on the field, always plays his ass off. He is one of the toughest SOB's out there too. He's been through a ton of surgeries and his legs are in constant pain, but always plays through it.

With that said, I don't agree with him wanting to renegotiate a contract that he's already bound too. The Browns stuck with him during his motorcycle accident and throughout his separate ACL tear suffered on the field.

Granted I don't watch him every week like you do, but from what I have seen he hasn't impressed me.

IMO he has an attitude problem, that is what hurts football teams.

3. Kellen Winslow has voiced his desire for a new contract at the beginning of the year. I think him "not feeling accepted" has more to do with him still wanting a new contract and being frustrated with the losses and less to do with the GM calling him to make sure he is feeling well.

This is becoming an all too familar problem in all sports.

Why can't these athletes honor their contracts without the constant bitching and moaning?

1. The staph-infection thingy going around is indeed a problem. We've had way too many players infected. The Browns need to find the cause and take steps to help reduce the risk.

This is a real problem. This is the sixth one in the past three years and I think the third infection-related issue this year. Edwards had one in the preseason and Joe Jurevicius is still out because of staph. The Browns had Cleveland Clinic personnel at the facility in Berea a couple years ago to do a thorough disinfecting of the place.

To be somewhat fair to the Browns, staph/MRSA has also been a problem in some of the residential school districts around Cleveland this year. Makes you wonder if there isn't something environmental about the area itself.

This is a real problem. This is the sixth one in the past three years and I think the third infection-related issue this year. Edwards had one in the preseason and Joe Jurevicius is still out because of staph. The Browns had Cleveland Clinic personnel at the facility in Berea a couple years ago to do a thorough disinfecting of the place.

To be somewhat fair to the Browns, staph/MRSA has also been a problem in some of the residential school districts around Cleveland this year. Makes you wonder if there isn't something environmental about the area itself.

If you get The Plain Dealer, there's a big article on Staph on the front page. Check it out...

This is a new one - a football player who doesn't "feel the love".:rolleyes: Free college education, milllions in $, fan adoration...etc. It's never enough for these cry babies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts