Pavlik vs. Hopkins

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
08_10_18_pavlik_hopkins.jpg

KELLY "THE GHOST" PAVLIK AND BERNARD "THE EXECUTIONER" HOPKINS SET TO FACEOFF IN LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT BOUT

When a powerful young champion and devastating knock-out artist meets a future Hall of Fame boxing legend and two-division world champion who has never been knocked out, there will be plenty of debate and speculation as to who will win. That will definitely be the case when Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik faces Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins in a light heavyweight battle at Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall on Saturday October 18.

"Kelly Pavlik is a perfect opponent for me," proclaimed Hopkins (48-5-1, 32 KOs), who is training in Miami. "He comes forward, and he's coming to knock me out early. But he only has one bullet in the chamber. If he thinks he is going to knock me out with a right hand, he is a damn fool."

The veteran middleweight and light heavyweight champion gave Pavlik his props, but he also was quick to point out that at his age, 43, he has all the experience in the world. According to Hopkins, the 26-year-old Pavlik has not met the quality of opponents listed on Hopkins' 20-year ring résumé.

"I respect Kelly Pavlik because he came up through the era in his own way," said Hopkins, who referred to Pavlik's hometown as Columbus instead of Youngstown. "I recognize that I have to make it a long, punishing fight for him. He's not going to run. But he will fall into the hands of 'The Executioner.' "

Pavlik (34-0, 30 KOs) will not have his World Boxing Council or World Boxing Organization middleweight titles at stake, as this fight has been set for the catch weight of 170 pounds. Going 10 pounds over the middleweight limit will not be a problem, according to Pavlik, and neither will any below-the-belt tactics from the older fighter.

"I'm not going to give him a chance to get a hold on me," said Pavlik, finishing camp in Youngstown, OH. "He's never fought a guy with my size and strength. If he tries to start roughhousing, it goes both ways."

Pavlik said he has not been slowed by an injured left elbow he hurt while sparring a month ago.

"It was a little bruise," he said. "Nothing a little ice didn't fix."

Hopkins, who lost his first professional bout in Atlantic City on Oct. 11, 1988, said this could be his last ring appearance.

"I'm not putting the cart in front of the horse," said Hopkins. "People are going to see an expert at his craft. Enjoy me while I'm here. I'm going to enjoy Oct. 18. Bernard Hopkins will show he is one of the greats."

Pavlik is a 4-to-1 favorite. . . . The fight telecast on HBO pay-per-view will begin at 9 p.m. and cost $49.95.

*Personally, I'm interested in this fight as it pits the young up-and-coming Pavlik against a legend in Hopkins. Pavlik is also a local favorite as he is from Youngstown, Ohio.

So, anyone getting this fight on Saturday???

The young up and coming knockout artist (Pavlik) vs. the seasoned veteran (Hopkins) who's never been knocked out?!

Probably going to hit the sports bar for this one, should be good, I hope Hopkins don't hold half the time like when he fought Joe.

Shouldn't be an issue, Pavlik said he's not going to let this go to a decision. He wants to attack Hopkins early and often with a barrage of punches and go for a knockout.

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?? Ghost Buster's!!

Yeah, Hopkins is getting old. Pavlik's an exciting budding star. I see him doing great things for the boxing world.
REALLY!!!!!!

Really what? Hopkins getting old or Pavlik doing great things?

Really what? Hopkins getting old or Pavlik doing great things?
Pavlik doing good..

OK now we can put this to rest..

I kinda figured the old school Hopkins even though a shadow of what he used to be. Would beat the Goat.. OK ghost! lol

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Bernard Hopkins gave Kelly Pavlik a boxing lesson and a first loss that he will never forget.
The 43-year-old Hopkins used lightning quick combinations and a cagey, near-perfect defense to embarrass and confuse Pavlik in a 12-round non-title bout Saturday night at Boardwalk Hall.

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?? GHOST BUSTER'S!!! I can't here you!!!:D:up

Ok, I will humbling eat crow now. But for the record, you have not seen the last of Pavlik. This kid will use that loss at motivation and will be back, better than ever next time...

Pavlik's rise to the top speaks heavily to the lack of talent and the shady nature of boxing these days.

Hopkins in his prime would have destroyed him(Pavlik) Hopkins in his 43 year old incarnate, just gave him a serious boxing lesson.

That Pavlik was/is considered a talent and draw these days is a huge indictment of the boxing industry.

Pavlik's rise to the top speaks heavily to the lack of talent and the shady nature of boxing these days.

Hopkins in his prime would have destroyed him(Pavlik) Hopkins in his 43 year old incarnate, just gave him a serious boxing lesson.

That Pavlik was/is considered a talent and draw these days is a huge indictment of the boxing industry.

Huh? And why is that? :confused::rolleyes:

I would disagree with this statement because the weight classes between lightweight and cruiserweight/super middleweight are the divisions with the MOST talent.

Yes, he WOULD HAVE destroyed him in the past, but he has nowhere near the power he used to have...so his approach has to be different now.

He IS a talent considering whom he has beaten and how he has been marketed. The boxing of 20-30 years ago is in the past. People that appreciate the sport and the art of boxing adjust and do not live on the Leonards, Durans, Hearns, Alis, Shavers, Nortons of the past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts