BSC621 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gatorhater

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I have 2 questions. Can a small dish lnb, like a QPF-031 be connected along with a bsc621 on a big mesh dish? The bsc621 would only be used to get the c band signals and the QPF-031 would get the rest. If so, what would this look like on the dish? I would like to see a photo if this is possible. Also, if this is not possible and just a dumb question, could anyone suggest a really good combination c/ku band feedhorn and lnbs to use for reception of all signals including circular and linear satellites. I am using a bsc621/10 ft mesh dish/ GI 920 4dtv receiver and the reception is ok, but I wonder if maybe the lnb is just not strong enough. I am not seeing many ku signals so far with this setup.

the qpf-031 matched with the feedhorn. will (or should be mounted in the center of the dish) off setting this lnbf to the side of the bsc621 will almost certainly have a bit of signal loss.

now you should be able to mount any lnbf up beside the feedhorn on the big dish and tune it in. i would suspect the bsc621 to be able to do this better (mine does) but mine isn't properly tuned yet. the corotor would be the best (and most expensive)

there are also scaler rings .... cheaper than the qpf that has a circular lnbf built in so you would be able to use this scaler ring and your bsc621 this would give you circular ku linear ku and c-band. now like any other feedhorn you have to tune it .dss scaler

What are some of the ku channels you get and which satellites are they on? I think I should be able to pick up some ku signals with this 4dtv unit, if I have everything set up correctly. I used the satellite chart on the NPS site when I was programming the satellites. I looked at the ones listed on Lyngsat, but I can't seem to get anything other than the ones I have now. I don't think I found even one channel on any satellites east of W1 or W4. That's why I was wondering if maybe the bsc621 just isn't powerful enough. I hope it's something I am overlooking because you can't beat the price of this lnb.

i have a 7 1/2 ft mesh dish and get ku on 72w (amc 6) thru 123w (galaxy 10r)
my feedhorn isn't properly tuned as some signals are real low like 87w (AMC 3) the signals are real low so i can only pick up the strong transponders.

are the signals your getting only with a 4dtv ? or do you have a DVB receiver also.

when i had my 4dtv i found that several of my satellites were off just a bit ( and i feel this was due to inproper alignment on my part of the feedhorn) so i could hit the c band signals but sometimes a ku signal might be a click or two off east or west. it was something i could get used to and set each satellite up so the motor stopped directly at the c band and ku satellites but, i'm sure i wasn't getting the best signal due to this.

I find that the bsc pulls in a good signal the only problem i found with it on the 4dtv was on certain channels and i don't remember which the signal quality flucuated a bit. but was still a watchable picture. but that was in good weather i don't know how it would react in poor weather.

if you can reach c-band satellites try those and then hunt for the ku side. do this for the TS Sat , then go east and west and peak the feedhorn and peak for the best signal across all three ( and the arc).

For now I only have the 4dtv connected, but have a dvb receiver to connect to it. I am trying to get just the basics down first before I try anything more complicated. Are the analog C band signal channels the only C band channels, and anything over channel 24 KU band channels? Or are the channels over 24 just digital C band? With this GI receiver I don't think there is a way to switch from C band to KU, is there? When I set the lnb type, i just selected c and ku band lnb. The 4dtv receiver should do the rest, shouldn't it?

ok when i set mine up i ran a coax for ku and one for c-band from the lnbf to the receiver ( 4dtv or the 450i) and it has a input for each.

i set it to C & KU LNBF

ok there are
analog c band signals ( these use the 24 transponders) ols analog receiver also 4DTV
videocipher c-band signals [channels] ( these use the 24 transponders and require a subscription)
digital c band signals ( needs a dvb receiver for these)
digital c band signals [digicipher] this requires a 4DTV and lets the unit goto channels # above 100-900 range
digital ku signals (requires a DVB receiver)
digital ku signals [digicipher] this requires a 4DTV and lets the unit got channels # above 100-900 range
analog ku signals this uses a analog receiver (and 4DTV) and allows the unit to goto transponders 1-32 on some ku satellites.

the switching from c to ku is done via the setup menu..... tell it the satellite your connecting to is ku like X4 or X0 i think the 4DTV uses those satellite names for ku sats

I don't think I have anything under "options" that allows me to switch from c to ku. The only thing is LNB Type: I have "C-Band and KU-Band LNBs" selected.

although i don't have a receiver here i think the switching from c to ku will be automatic with the 4dtv ......as per what satellite you select so if you choose G4 it will be c-band
and if you select X4 it will be ku ( its how you set the satellite up) ( or maybe the maps set it up)

changing the lnbf that should be in the 6 4 2 on the menu
forgot which one it will be should say something like
c band
ku band
c & ku band lnb's
c & ku lnbf

I will have to keep searching between c band satellites until I find some ku band satellites. After I find some of those I can attempt connecting the dvb. I just "felt" through the arc while I set up the satellites. I wonder if I should have used the feature called "EZ SAT Locator?

that function will work to fine tune your receiver & dish and its main purpose was to tune the dish adjusting the motor slightly east or west and also skewing the corotor .... since we don't have a corotor that cuts half of the fine tuning out. but i never used EZ SAT Locator . so maybe someone else will chime in that has.

now as per hooking up the dvb receiver , i did and i manually tuned the satellites using a known transponder and using the 4dtv to controll the motor. i set the dvb receiver to play to channel 3 on my tv and the 4dtv to play through the video channel . and flipped between the two for tuning :)

Would it be easier to find ku satellites after the dvb is connected? Also, I have to put some kind of stop on the east side of my polar mount. Friday afternoon I was searching too far east for a satellite and "flopped" the dish. I guided it back into place while someone else drove the actuator west. I'm not comfortable going farther east than maybe 80 degrees for now. Any ideas?

for me i find it easier to find any satellite with a dvb receiver

you have seperate coaxes for c & ku right (you can diesqc them together or look one at a time) just remember to turn off the power before connecting the switch or removing it.) what receiver do you have for dvb.

what i did was set my coolsat up for both c & ku .... i made a satellite for each so it would be easy & i wouldn't have to swap back and forth all the time ... so i have two listings for most satellites one is KU and one is c band. ( and now i mostly surf and watch c-band digital channels)

but for you now we just have to decide which you will look for and i set my limit for my east satellite at 72W which for me is roughly 150 degrees (m) on a compass . if you can remember where your dish was when it fell that would be good , you can set the limits on the 4dtv to stop at a certain one. and you can also set most actuators limits (with an internal limit switch) most have them.

so i would pick a known transponder listed for c or ku and go hunting , you know your limit
its fun ...... just as you find them ( and your 4dtv is counting ) write down the number on the 4dtv and assign it (either now or later)

I really don't know anything about the dvb I have yet. I have a lot of reading to do in the instruction guide. It is a viewsat ultra and might not have the capability to view c and ku, but it was reasonably priced and I figured would be ok to start with. I would like to have a hd receiver for the future, but they are expensive and I don't even have a hd tv yet. I replaced the ribbon cable to the dish tonight and hopefully will connect the dvb to the 4dtv this week and start trying to find channels. Thanks for all the help so far. I will be asking more questions later if you have time.

Most, if not all, FTA receivers will receive both C and Ku (I haven't heard of one that doesn't). Viewsats are not good for H-H motor control (the small dish motors), but I don't think you're using one of those. I've heard Viewsat blind scan doesn't work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts