BUD and FTA (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

horizon

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 12, 2006
38
0
I didn't see a forum in the FTA areas to ask this.

I'm still waiting for my FTA stuff to get here so I don't have first hand experience yet.

If the FTA receiver does a blind scan, does it try to store the channels in memory with a satellite setting? If I have to use my analog receiver to move the dish to each satellite how do you combine the channel/satellite coordination?

Am I going to have to use paper and keep track of which sat and channels like that?

Will the FTA receiver store the channel and sat and display it on the screen when I select a stored channel, and I can then just move the dish to the right satellite that I've stored in the analog receiver?
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

tdti1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 23, 2004
2,318
1
Montreal, QC
horizon said:
Will the FTA receiver store the channel and sat and display it on the screen when I select a stored channel, and I can then just move the dish to the right satellite that I've stored in the analog receiver?

Yes.
 

WyrTwister

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 6, 2004
769
0
horizon said:
I didn't see a forum in the FTA areas to ask this.
I'm still waiting for my FTA stuff to get here so I don't have first hand experience yet.
If the FTA receiver does a blind scan, does it try to store the channels in memory with a satellite setting? If I have to use my analog receiver to move the dish to each satellite how do you combine the channel/satellite coordination?
Am I going to have to use paper and keep track of which sat and channels like that?
Will the FTA receiver store the channel and sat and display it on the screen when I select a stored channel, and I can then just move the dish to the right satellite that I've stored in the analog receiver?



Are you going to actually use the analog receiver ? If not , I have read ( but not used ) of a device called a V-Box that will " listen " to the position commands from the FTA receiver and convert them to " commands " to the C band dish mover .

Wyr
 

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
2,278
0
Phoenix, AZ
tdti1 is dead right.

I'll just add that you'll need to set the satellite and know your polarity when scanning otherwise stuff will scan in twice and only work some of the time ;).

Going to G10R will go something like:

Analog receiver to G0. Take note of the channel for polarity reasons.
FTA box sat--> G10R
now tune / scan the polarity you're on.

It is a pain to use compared to a Ku dish on a SG2100, but it's livable.

I have the VBOX (DP710) and had mixed results with it. It's now back in the box in my closet.

The VBOX II is supposed to be the holy grail of VBOXes. If I was doing it over again, and didn't have 4DTV I'd go with a VBOX II.
 
Last edited:

horizon

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 12, 2006
38
0
Shawn95GT said:
I have the VBOX (DP710) and had mixed results with it. It's now back in the box in my closet.

The VBOX II is supposed to be the holy grail of VBOXes. If I was doing it over again, and didn't have 4DTV I'd go with a VBOX II.

I may end up going with VBOX II eventually. Right now I was just trying to get started with what equipment I did have.

It sounds like I'll be doing a bit of gymnastics to get the channels tuned each time for a while.
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

horizon

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 12, 2006
38
0
Grrr. my FTA receiver came in today, but I don't have a replacement for my old analog receiver to move the dish until Saturday's fed-ex.

I've also got DirecTV, the lyngsat site seems to say that at 101.0W is a DirecTV satellite, but also AMC 4 which has FTA stuff.

If I plug in the coax from one of the LNBs on my DirecTV dish into the LNB port on the FTA receiver will it see AMC 4? Or am I trying to mix technologies that aren't compatible?
 

horizon

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 12, 2006
38
0
Somehow the FedEx delivery didn't show up on Sat so I still don't have an analog receiver to move the dish.

I got desperate and decided to hook up my previous analog receiver and bring a 12v battery in the house to power the dish movement.

I managed to get IA5 in and the FTA receiver could get the pentagon channel and if I changed the channel on the analog receiver to change the polarity I could get the others on the FTA side.

Does the Vbox handle the polarity issues also or does it just move the dish?

Granted I had a huge battery on my coffee table, and wires that I manually had to connect to the terminals to move the dish, but besides that it still feels very clunky to move the dish on analog and do the polarity while changing channels on the FTA.
 

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
2,278
0
Phoenix, AZ
The VBOX just does the dish moving.

Many of the Pansats will do the polarizer control. This is why I had originally bought a Pansat 3500s.
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top