bud down! actuator error

Status
Please reply by conversation.

htownjoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2007
splendora tx
will have to check it later, but got an error for actuator, i check and messed with the back of the box wires and still no fix. bad thing is i have 70 ft buried in the ground! most likely a cut cable because the actuator isnt that old. maybe the dog ate the wire!

Could just be a reed sensor in actuator, an open circuit breaker in your positioner power supply (depending on what you're using) or something else that's simple.

Must be Monday, went to turn the kitchen lights on this morning and nothing. Checked the bulbs, all ok, the switch feels awefully loose, probably have to replace it.

weird. i havent used the btd since thursday. went outside and it was aimed far east, actually to the limit, but the dish has been on g3 since thursday, now at about 55 deg! the box even had g3 labeled as the current satellite! so when i get home i will try to set it back up. it might just be stuck. is it at all possible for the dish to move by itself? cause no one ever uses it but me and like i said g3 was the last time, i checked the bolts and everything was still tight where you couldnt swing the dish manually.

weird. i havent used the btd since thursday. went outside and it was aimed far east, actually to the limit, but the dish has been on g3 since thursday, now at about 55 deg! the box even had g3 labeled as the current satellite! so when i get home i will try to set it back up. it might just be stuck. is it at all possible for the dish to move by itself? cause no one ever uses it but me and like i said g3 was the last time, i checked the bolts and everything was still tight where you couldnt swing the dish manually.
The actuator needs voltage to move it, so it didn't move on its own (unless you have some HUGE winds). Any chance that you have it hooked to a receiver that has a timer set to move the dish, or maybe a 4DTV receiver that tried to move the dish to download new maps?

no sir, the maybe my dog could have chewed the remote or something. it is locked up now, usually when i go too far east i can push west and it will go right back west! at least it isnt the wires out!

if its far east it might have went past the limits and fell or be out of touch with the screw drive. if this is the case you might have to manually lift the dish back to the motor arm drive and hold it while telling the motor to go west and let it catch. this in most cases would require two people. i have done this twice to two dishes and both times only little damage tothe dish. i have seen where the dish falls and something goes through the mesh.

well that is still better than a aad cable! i would hate to have to rerun 100 total feet of ribbon again since 30 ft is on the house and 70 ft burried! i will try first to set it back by myself,then if i cant i will get my boys to help me. i have to re align it anyways since i bought a birdog.

it just hit me! last week the last time i used the dish i had my box on program mode. on the back of my toshiba there is a switch for reg mode and program mode, i had it on program mode and wash using my fta box signal meter to get the best possible alignment. i didnt switch back over to reg mode and the east button might have been hit or jammed because it was due south 95 deg yesterday morning.

well that is still better than a aad cable! i would hate to have to rerun 100 total feet of ribbon again since 30 ft is on the house and 70 ft burried! i will try first to set it back by myself,then if i cant i will get my boys to help me. i have to re align it anyways since i bought a birdog.
I hear ya about the burried cable - I have made 3 runs of burried cable (one "rerun" to fix a problem). I finally got "smart" (I hope it turns out that way) and trenched in some 1.5" PVC conduit from the dish "farm" to the house. I left some twine (until I get around to getting something more appropriate) in the pvc so that I can pull more lines through the pvc without a problem.

Hopefully this will prevent some headaches in the future. PVC is actually cheaper than you'd think! I paid less than $25 bucks for enough pvc/elbows/connectors/etc + glue to do a 75+ foot run, plus split off a few times to the dishes, and run pipe up the poles and cap them off. (Realistically you could easily save that amount by using non-direct burial cable, and making certain that your pvc is water-tight) And Now the dog can dig in the yard without me worrying what he's digging up :)

well i went out to the dish and had my son pushing west, well the dish was moving small increments, but still said act error, i tried lifting up on the dish but it still wouldnt lock in. is there a certain way to pick or lift it up. i was gonna use my birdog to set up a c/ku and dss bud!

no it will only fit together and go one way. if the two weren't apart then that might not be the problem, even with actuator error the dish should move , it will just stop when it gets the error you should be able to continue west.

If the dish is moving in small increments that means that it's still together inside and that the limit switches in the actuator are not tripped. Sounds like the receiver is not seeing a return pulse from the actuator. It might be that it's screwed together so tightly that it moves very slowly and therefore the receiver doesn't count enough pulses to make it think the dish is moving.

Actually on 2nd thought, if the East button were stuck etc. then you may have reached the east physical limit in the actuator. If it's a von weise unit it'll have 2 switches inside which are tripped to disengage power to the motor when it reaches a certain limit so as not to do damage if your receiver is not set up properly. In that case though it still should be able to pull itself back in the other direction.

i tried alot to fix it, well i have recently played a bit by attaching lnbs to the arms of the bud for ku band. i will try to get up to 12 lnbs attached hitting sats and use 3 disecq switches. i have 3 lines ran into my bedroom already. i would love to get 87 thru 95 and 101 thru 105, and then find a way to get 121 thru 127 also at the same position and get all of these at the same time. it would look strange, but imagine having all of these sats at once. maybe i will even throw up a few c band lnbs for 93,101,and maybe 99. have any of you ever seen or attempted this before?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts