BUD Pipe in DFW

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbarnes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I know there are some on here in the DFW area. I'm looking for a cheap pipe to mount my newly acquired BUD. I need a 3.5" OD steel pipe about 16 ft long. Preferably on the West side (Tarrant Co.)

Thanks for any ideas.

Not in your area, but I just went through this last month. It sounds like you would be looking for Nominal Pipe size which would be 3" IPS. Which measures about 3.5 OD.. (Standard Iron Pipe is referred to by the "nominal ID", while the ID will vary due to wall thickness, the OD will remain the same. Confusing but trust me, I'm an ole pipe fitter). Tubing is another topic.

The reason I mention this is that if you call around and just ask for 3 1/2 in "Pipe" you will end up with a 4" OD.. (which is probably what your dish mount is made out of.)

I went to one metal yard and they didn't have any used or scrap but had some new. However it was $8/ft. I passed and finally found a 10ft scrap in another scrap yard for 20 bucks (under the table to the yard forman). Pretty heavy and even scrap steel is 'spendy'

I wanted mine to be a few feet longer so I could get under the dish with the riding mower, so I welded 2 ft of scrap pipe and angle on the bottom and poured concrete around the whole mess in a 3 ft hole. (only me and the concrete know I cheated.)

Good luck.

Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts