Buffalo Memorial Auditorium Demolished

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Old home of Buffalo Sabres falls to wrecking ball - NHL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

This is a sad day and moment for me personally, for obvious reasons. :(:(

As someone who lived a good portion of their life in Buffalo, this hits me close to the heart. :river:river:river

As a lifelong Sabres fan, I have so many close and personal moments of this grand old house of hockey.

I went to the Aud for 10 Sabres games, and believe it or not, they won all 10 games!

Here are my personal memories of those 10 games I saw:

Novermber 9, 1990- my first Sabres game ever, a 7-1 win over the Canucks.

December 23, 1990- Buffalo beat Quebec 10-3. Pierre Turgeon scored twice and so did the great Christian Ruutu.:D:D:D:D

December 27, 1991- Buffalo beat the Bruins 8-1. Dave Andreychuk had 2 goals and 3 assists, while Pat LaFontaine had two goals and 2 assists.

January 10, 1992- Sabres beat the Oilers 8-2. LaFontaine had a hat trick and 3 assists.

November 13, 1992- Buffalo beats Hartford 8-2. Dave Andreychuk has a four-goals night.

October 31, 1992- I was faced with a difficult decision on this night. Go to the Aud to possibly see Buffalo possibly put up a huge amount of goals against the horrible expansion Ottawa Senators (Trust me, they were bad. Even recently bad teams were not as bad as they were.) or see a new episode of 'Step By Step' where Karen got a modeling job (I had a BIG crush on Karen). Choosing between either admiring the very pretty Angela Watson or admiring the Sabres' offense, I decided to go to the game, and I saw Buffalo rack up 12 goals! All in all, I think I made the right decision.

December 11, 1992- Buffalo beat Hartford 9-3 in probably the wildest game I ever attended. There was a huge fight at the end of this game. Here's the YouTube link:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfYRwmBQOBk]YouTube - Hartford vs Buffalo Brawl 1992[/ame]

December 31, 1992- Buffalo beat the Rangers 11-6 on New Year's Eve. Alexander Mogilny had a hat trick, and so did the great Yuri Khmylev!:D:D That night, as we drove home, my dad decided to let me my New Year's gift- NHLPA Hockey 93 for the Sega Genesis! Talk about ringing in the new year on a high note!

February 24, 1993- Buffalo beat Detroit in a 10-7 shootout. Mogilny scored 4 goals to break Danny Gare's team record of 56, which gave him 60 goals that year en route to 76. Also, Steve Yzerman registered his 1000th point that night.

December 10, 1993- a 6-2 win over Calgary. Nothing noteable about this game other than the fact that it would be the last time I ever went there.

Farewell, old girl. This Sabres fan will never forget you.

RIP Aud:(

1970_buffalo_aud_arena_nice_photo.bmp

Oh the horror!!!

Seriously Sabres, I'm sorry for your loss. While I never attended a game in the Aud, I did drive by it several times on my way to the Anchor Bar during one of my many visits to Upstate NY.

That one hurts me, too. Lotsa nice memories from the old barn. Used to drive over there to it from Rochester. I'm sure the new arena is great, though. Time moves one.:angel:

My 1st trip was there in Dec 1987.We saw the Sabres and Devils play.Boy was it noisy.I loved the small old barns like;The Spectrum.The Aud,The Stadium ,The Cap Centre & Maple Leaf Gardens.These new buildings today are so,I can't think of the word,they don't have an atmosphere like the old places.They are so generic and hard to think of as home,with a few exceptions !!

I thought that they were going to make the Aud into a mall or Condos ?
I guess that fell through.

My 1st trip was there in Dec 1987.We saw the Sabres and Devils play.Boy was it noisy.I loved the small old barns like;The Spectrum.The Aud,The Stadium ,The Cap Centre & Maple Leaf Gardens./QUOTE]

I heard that you could actually fit the spectrum inside the new arena in Philly. Now that's BIG!

I heard that you could actually fit the spectrum inside the new arena in Philly. Now that's BIG![/QUOTE]

Yes that is true ! I miss seeing the boys play there.There was such an atmosphere in that smaller louder building.The organ belting out the traditional music unlike the newer buildings playing all that loud cra* thats so over modulated you can't recognize the song.The new building is so dull and void of any such atmosphere.It is a generic all purpose building sort of like the old cookie cutter stadiums of the late 60s & 70s (The Vet,Three Rivers & Riverfront Stadium)

And pretty soon you'll be able to fit the Spectrum inside a shoe box ! :D

Old home of Buffalo Sabres falls to wrecking ball - NHL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

This is a sad day and moment for me personally, for obvious reasons. :(:(

As someone who lived a good portion of their life in Buffalo, this hits me close to the heart. :river:river:river

As a lifelong Sabres fan, I have so many close and personal moments of this grand old house of hockey.

I went to the Aud for 10 Sabres games, and believe it or not, they won all 10 games!

Here are my personal memories of those 10 games I saw:

Novermber 9, 1990- my first Sabres game ever, a 7-1 win over the Canucks.

December 23, 1990- Buffalo beat Quebec 10-3. Pierre Turgeon scored twice and so did the great Christian Ruutu.:D:D:D:D

December 27, 1991- Buffalo beat the Bruins 8-1. Dave Andreychuk had 2 goals and 3 assists, while Pat LaFontaine had two goals and 2 assists.

January 10, 1992- Sabres beat the Oilers 8-2. LaFontaine had a hat trick and 3 assists.

November 13, 1992- Buffalo beats Hartford 8-2. Dave Andreychuk has a four-goals night.

October 31, 1992- I was faced with a difficult decision on this night. Go to the Aud to possibly see Buffalo possibly put up a huge amount of goals against the horrible expansion Ottawa Senators (Trust me, they were bad. Even recently bad teams were not as bad as they were.) or see a new episode of 'Step By Step' where Karen got a modeling job (I had a BIG crush on Karen). Choosing between either admiring the very pretty Angela Watson or admiring the Sabres' offense, I decided to go to the game, and I saw Buffalo rack up 12 goals! All in all, I think I made the right decision.

December 11, 1992- Buffalo beat Hartford 9-3 in probably the wildest game I ever attended. There was a huge fight at the end of this game. Here's the YouTube link:

YouTube - Hartford vs Buffalo Brawl 1992

December 31, 1992- Buffalo beat the Rangers 11-6 on New Year's Eve. Alexander Mogilny had a hat trick, and so did the great Yuri Khmylev!:D:D That night, as we drove home, my dad decided to let me my New Year's gift- NHLPA Hockey 93 for the Sega Genesis! Talk about ringing in the new year on a high note!

February 24, 1993- Buffalo beat Detroit in a 10-7 shootout. Mogilny scored 4 goals to break Danny Gare's team record of 56, which gave him 60 goals that year en route to 76. Also, Steve Yzerman registered his 1000th point that night.

December 10, 1993- a 6-2 win over Calgary. Nothing noteable about this game other than the fact that it would be the last time I ever went there.

Farewell, old girl. This Sabres fan will never forget you.

RIP Aud:(

1970_buffalo_aud_arena_nice_photo.bmp

Wait a minute, you went to 10 games in the old arena, the Sabres won ALL ten games, but most incredibly scored 89 goals in those ten games!!!??? :eek::eek:

Does anyone else find that Aud? :D

If I were the Sabres staff, I would have picked you up by limousine to attend every game! :p

Last edited:
Didn't Rob Ray get into a really famous fight sometime there in the 90s in the AUD ? There was a bench clearer and eventually it turned into the Rob Ray show.His fight became the main card.Every once in awhile they play it on WIP in Philly to inspire the crowd.When was it & against who if anyone knows ?

Farewell Aud

Being from the area, I have many memories of it. My favorite of all time was the Schoenfield Fight Night against the then Stanley Cup Champs Big Bad Boston Bruins. I was in high school at the time, working a part time job at a local store, and suddenly got the Sabres Blue Flu and called off work, and went down to the Aud and bought a $8 red seat (10 rows off the visitor end faceoff circle from a scalper for $25. - love those prices now) That was the game Schoenfield fought three of the Bruins, including knocking Wayne Cashman through the Zamboni Doors.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts