Super Bowl Memories

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I've been watching NFL Films Super Bowl highlights on demand the last week or so. Also, "America's Game" (highlights of the SB champions season) is on demand, and that series is AWESOME!! :)

Certainly, there's a lot of memorable SB games/plays throughout NFL SB history. I have watched everyone of these SB games since 1975. As a 49er fan, the most memorable SB game was SB XVI in 1982 between the Bengals and the 49rs. One play will be forever etched markedly in my memory and it is called THE STOP. It was third and goal on the 49rs one yard line, Ken Anderson threw a pass to Alexander. Alexander caught the ball. It looked like to me at that moment that Alexander will score a TD and my heart skipped a beat for a split second. If the Bengals scored it could have altered the game and of course, 49rs history. It would have been their first SB win ever! But out of the blue came Dan Bunz hurtling himself unto Alexander with such brute force that Alexander lost his momentum into the goal line and prevented him from scoring a surefire TD and potential game winner. Fouth and goal. The rest, as you know, is history. THE STOP > THE CATCH in my opinion.

Certainly, there's a lot of memorable SB games/plays throughout NFL SB history. I have watched everyone of these SB games since 1975. As a 49er fan, the most memorable SB game was SB XVI in 1982 between the Bengals and the 49rs. One play will be forever etched markedly in my memory and it is called THE STOP. It was third and goal on the 49rs one yard line, Ken Anderson threw a pass to Alexander. Alexander caught the ball. It looked like to me at that moment that Alexander will score a TD and my heart skipped a beat for a split second. If the Bengals scored it could have altered the game and of course, 49rs history. It would have been their first SB win ever! But out of the blue came Dan Bunz hurtling himself unto Alexander with such brute force that Alexander lost his momentum into the goal line and prevented him from scoring a surefire TD and potential game winner. Fouth and goal. The rest, as you know, is history. THE STOP > THE CATCH in my opinion.

Absolutely!! That GL stand was EPIC!!

That 49ers team was arguably the least talented team (especially offensively) during their dynasty, but it was one of my all-time favorite non-Patriots team. What was most impressive was the three rookies in the secondary (Lott, Wright and Williamson), to go along with holdover Dwight Hicks to become the best secondary in the NFL.

That 49ers team was arguably the least talented team (especially offensively) during their dynasty, but it was one of my all-time favorite non-Patriots team. What was most impressive was the three rookies in the secondary (Lott, Wright and Williamson), to go along with holdover Dwight Hicks to become the best secondary in the NFL.

Can't say that they are the least talented team during the period 1981-1994, but I guess the operative word there is "arguably", which it is. To me, this 1981 team is about as talented as any during that era, offensively and defensibly. What is true is that it took some time for this team to really develop as a contender which is quite normal after so many years of terribly abysmal seasons ( prior to 1981).

Can't say that they are the least talented team during the period 1981-1994, but I guess the operative word there is "arguably", which it is. To me, this 1981 team is about as talented as any during that era, offensively and defensibly. What is true is that it took some time for this team to really develop as a contender which is quite normal after so many years of terribly abysmal seasons ( prior to 1981).

The biggest thing to me was no Jerry Rice (INarguably the greatest WR ever), and they had a running game by committee (Ricky Patten, Bill Ring and others I believe) instead of Wendell Tyler or Roger Craig. But still a GREAT team led by Joe, Dwight Clark and a VERY underrated defense.

The biggest thing to me was no Jerry Rice (INarguably the greatest WR ever), and they had a running game by committee (Ricky Patten, Bill Ring and others I believe) instead of Wendell Tyler or Roger Craig. But still a GREAT team led by Joe, Dwight Clark and a VERY underrated defense.

Agreed. They had Nehemiah thou.:)

:river

Yup, when I was a kid it was always around my birthday (Jan. 11). Then it was around my wife's birthday (Jan. 28), and now it's around my nephew's b-day (Feb.4). :D

I predict that within the next 10-15 years, Super Bowl Sunday will be held on Predident's Day weekend.

I think thats the way it should be. There really is a lull w/o any football unless you count the mighty Pro Bowl.

I've been watching NFL Films Super Bowl highlights on demand the last week or so. Also, "America's Game" (highlights of the SB champions season) is on demand, and that series is AWESOME!! :)

I've been watching them too on demand. I like the Highlight shows better than Americas Game but thats just me. NFL Network is showing the Super Bowl Highlight marathon right now. They actually skipped a couple of episodes to show, get this, a John(?) Harbaugh press conference. I needed to hear from the coach of the Ravens? Really? NFLN is showing to be showing 140 hrs. of coverage.

The Stop was a great play but remember how big that was. At the time, the 49ers had the biggest halftime lead ever in a Super Bowl by leading the Bengals 20-0 and they almost blew it. They did space out there scoring with a couple of FGs and also Anderson threw a TD to Dan Ross with about 14/15 seconds left to make the scoring close.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)