Buggy 722k

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Dish needs to consider a new SW update.

My 722k experiences a couple of issues:

1) Will just lose signal on sat channels and you have to change to another sat or tune to an OTA channel to make it work

2) In one weeks time I have had two full length 1 hour records just freeze at some point in. You can FF to the end, but all you see is a frozen picture of where it initially had its error. First program froze 10 minutes in and I was able to FF thru the next 50 and delete. Second time the picture froze with 15 minutes left and I could FF to the end and delete.

I haven't experienced any of those issues on my two 722k's ......yet. I have audio drop outs and sync issues. I would like a SW update too as long as they don't make things worse.

WHats weird is I didnt see any of this the first couple of weeks, but maybe Im recording more now.

I see some quirky audio too, and I have to crank my rcvr a good bit louder than I did with the 722 I had. Dish definitely needs to tweak this rcvr a bit more, because I NEVER had any recording issues with my 622 or 722.

EHD?

1) Will just lose signal on sat channels and you have to change to another sat or tune to an OTA channel to make it work

2) In one weeks time I have had two full length 1 hour records just freeze at some point in. You can FF to the end, but all you see is a frozen picture of where it initially had its error. First program froze 10 minutes in and I was able to FF thru the next 50 and delete. Second time the picture froze with 15 minutes left and I could FF to the end and delete.

Have read that it often has to do with deleting material off the EHD. Were you by chance deleting material at the same time as recording programs mentioned?

Good chance. I store programs that both my wife and I watch on the ehd because they are usually OTA. Maybe I should avoid deleting while recording? I record of sat crap every night from disc and hist that my wife does not watch.

I am on my third box within the last five months. A 722 and 722k with bad hard drives. My current 722k has worked without any issues. Knock on wood!!

As much as I like Dish hardware they just don't seem as reliable as the 622 which I have had the past 3 years with no problems.

Ask installers what they think of Dish current hardware. Mine as told me that they have really gone down hill the last few years. He says he has had to replace a lot of 612's and 722k's.

I'll agree the 622 was bullet proff, but I never really saw any issues with the 722. I think what needs to be realized is that the 722k is a all new OS, made to look like the 622/722.

BUT, they do need a good bit more tweaking. In the short time its been out it appears they have fixed most of the issues, so hopefully they continue. Being able to record 4 programs at once and having ehd use makes this the king DVR right now.

The only problem I am having with my 722k is having the uhf remote control work further than 20 feet out. IN my master bedroom It won't work because it is 25 feet from my tv. Now my 722s worked fine with out issue with the 722 remote. Tried the 722 remote on my 722k and it won't work either. So maybe the new tv2 IR converter will help? It must be uhf interference.

The only problem I am having with my 722k is having the uhf remote control work further than 20 feet out. IN my master bedroom It won't work because it is 25 feet from my tv. Now my 722s worked fine with out issue with the 722 remote. Tried the 722 remote on my 722k and it won't work either. So maybe the new tv2 IR converter will help? It must be uhf interference.

I hate to hear that. I am using my 622 tv1 to two HDTV's. Using the UHF remote about 50ft. away. If my 622 blows, I may lose my bedroom HDTV if I can't get the UHF remote to work on a new 722k.

Just did a test of UHF remote range on new 722k, for you. Mine works fine at least 60' and two rooms away.:up

I've experienced both problems.

My first 722K died the day after install. My 2nd has worked flawlessly (knock on wood) since beginning of April. I had put it through the wringer the first 2 months with many timers. Not as many now with most of our shows stopping for the summer. I have also saved quite a bit to my ehd. For now I'll say it is working just as well if not better than the 622 I had a year ago.

I had the same problem when I first got my 722k. I installed a new Sammy LCD at the same time I installed the 722k, and had bad TV2 remote problems. Moved the antenna further away from the Sammy by adding a 4 ft piece of RG6 to it. Works great now. Some HD tvs will interfere with the UHF signal

Try changing the UHF remote channel. I am running two of these on my new 722. One is on channel 6 and the other is on channel 9. Also, the remote antenna can be adjusted by pointing it at a different angle. Try moving it around to get additional range. Good luck.:up

That may work as well. Didn't with me, but you never know.

Last edited:
I had the same problem when I first got my 722k. I installed a new Sammy LCD at the same time I installed the 722k, and had bad TV2 remote problems. Moved the antenna further away from the Sammy by adding a 4 ft piece of RG6 to it. Works great now. Some HD tvs will interfere with the UHF signal

That may work as well. Didn't with me, but you never know.

I reread the manual for the 722k about remote controls and then did what it said. I moved the 722k back to the top shelf on the right side( where my old 722 was before) and the problems disappeared. I can now control the receiver in my bedroom. THANK GOD! I was thinking I wouldn't be able to ever use it in there. I guess sometimes it helps to go back to square one and just read the damn manual. Then eliminate all the possibilities one by one till you fix the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)