Building a C-band mount

stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
Anyone have plans or know where I can get plans?

All my dishes save 1 are H-to-H mounts and I have an old 10' dish with no mount whatsoever, just petals...it was my parents dish circa 1981 and I'd like to see the old girl suck some c-band again for old times sake...

I have welding equipment and chop saw and plasma cutter...just need some guidance what direction to go..my one dish with a polar mount is a ring mount and I dont think a ring mount is gonna work for the 10' fiberglass monstrosity laying in the woods behind my house...nor do I have rolling equipment to roll flatbar that thick..

I'll also have to fab feed arms, etc, but I can handle that from conduit, etc..

Yeah I have time on my hands again...LOL

Reactions: truckracer
I don't think I have ever seen any plans on building a polar mount.

Don't have any big prime focus fiberglass reflectors/mounts for same but IIRC most of the mounts for those that I have seen have a large square frame of square or rectangular metal tubing as part of the structure.

Might be worth the effort to string test that beast before you invest a bunch of effort in resurrecting it, it would suck to find out the parabola was wacked later.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
The Winegard Pinnacle uses a square dish ring. Easy to simulate. Here are a couple pics a one with a Zenith brand name.

Zenith 003.JPG
Zenith 006.JPG

Reactions: osu1991 and FTA4PA
I had a winegard mount and ended up having to trash it because it rusted out from the inside...I know I'd need to build the square tube for the dish but the declination and elevation adjustments that Winegard uses are needlessly complex, IMO, especially when ya trying to shop build something...I am just going to have to assemble the dish on my shop floor, get some metal and go mcGuyver on it...LOL...

TY for the pics Magic.

I had a winegard mount and ended up having to trash it because it rusted out from the inside...I know I'd need to build the square tube for the dish but the declination and elevation adjustments that Winegard uses are needlessly complex, IMO, especially when ya trying to shop build something...I am just going to have to assemble the dish on my shop floor, get some metal and go mcGuyver on it...LOL...

TY for the pics Magic.
Check the declination adjuster on this c-band mount I used for a Ku dish. :) Simple and flexible.
? offset angle Primestar 1.2m

Reactions: Titanium
I don't think I have ever seen any plans on building a polar mount.

Don't have any big prime focus fiberglass reflectors/mounts for same but IIRC most of the mounts for those that I have seen have a large square frame of square or rectangular metal tubing as part of the structure.

Might be worth the effort to string test that beast before you invest a bunch of effort in resurrecting it, it would suck to find out the parabola was wacked later.

I am sure it IS wacked Jody. it HAS been stored taken apart since 1986 or so, I painted it and assembled it on the floor of my shop one time before, thinking I had all the mount parts at my parent's house, by the time I got to look...the only thing I found was the feed leg brackets for the dish itself. I seem to remember it having a mount that had a U shaped piece of 1/2 plate with holes drilled into it that the elevation tube fit on, and the elevation was done by a turnbuckle. But I don't remember how the declination was done. I have some far away pictures of it I took way back then but nothing close or clear enough that I could figure it out. But I am not really interested in being historically correct, in any case...LOL

Here's mine. Been up since the early 80's. Just added pillow blocks recently and except for the crappy Super Jack actuator, slop free and tracks as good as can be.
A bit of wire brushing and rust killer, Rustoleum, should be good to go for at least a few more years.

Attachments

• NIK_1055a.jpg
    NIK_1055a.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 273
Anyone have plans or know where I can get plans?

All my dishes save 1 are H-to-H mounts and I have an old 10' dish with no mount whatsoever, just petals...it was my parents dish circa 1981 and I'd like to see the old girl suck some c-band again for old times sake...

I have welding equipment and chop saw and plasma cutter...just need some guidance what direction to go..my one dish with a polar mount is a ring mount and I dont think a ring mount is gonna work for the 10' fiberglass monstrosity laying in the woods behind my house...nor do I have rolling equipment to roll flatbar that thick..

I'll also have to fab feed arms, etc, but I can handle that from conduit, etc..

Yeah I have time on my hands again...LOL
Hi, ive made a few mounts without any plans, make a back plate for the dish to fix to then make the rest if you make a mistake cut it up and start again, its quite easy to make a H/H here is one I made for a 2.4 channel master it would have been suitable for a 4/5 mtr dish, my plans changed and sent it to the scrap man.
IMG_0113.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts