Bullseye feedhorn options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DStott2

Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I just got a bullseye feedhorn and would like some ideas on the best way to use or if I even should use it. I have 5 10' mesh dishes. 2 with actuator arms and 3 with H to H mounts. I am located in Fort Collins Colorado. These are roof mounted with relatively no obstructed views. I currently have been able to get as far east as Intelsat 805 and still have room possibly to go as far as the 20 degree range. To the west I can get AMC 10. Don't know if anyone in North america has ever gotten anything farther west. I primarily use Houston Tracker HTS 70's and 50's as well as one echostar 500 to move dishes and I have 3 Quali TV's. I have a Vantage and Azbox elite on the way. Any help would be great. I am basically just a hobbiest but I have a degree in Mechanical engineering altough I don't work in that industry.

What is it you want to know about the Bullseye?
If you've been reading along here in the C-band department, some of the guys have them and seem happy.
They are necessary if what you want, is to feed multiple receivers.
And you -really- need 'em if you want to feed multiple receivers on -both- bands! - :eek:

As for the "how", you connect the two C-band LNBs on your Bullseye to a 2x4 or 2x8 multiswitch.
Then do the same for your two Ku band LNBs.
That's best if you are using any 4DTV receivers.

If you've moved totally to DVB FTA receivers, then use of 4x4 or 4x8 multiswitches would be appropriate.
The two C-band LNBs to the 22khz OFF inputs; the two Ku-band LNBs to the two 22khz ON inputs, for instance.

Welcome aboard!
Get a some pictures, and after you've posted a few times, let's see that dish farm! - :up

The only concern I would have with a dual ortho feed like a Bullseye would be using it on a very deep dish. I have modified mine to work on a Winegard Pinnacle (f/D ~ 0.278), but I think there is still room for improvement. If you know the manufacturer/model of the dish(es) you want to put this on, we can probably help. If you don't, post pictures and perhaps we can figure this out anyway.

I'm south of Denver but grew up in Fort Collins. I can easily get down to 37.5W on my big dishes and can sometimes squeak 30W on a very good day. The latter is around 3 degrees of elevation and it's hard to get LOS.

Last edited:
voltage mods for the multiswitch:

Normally, I would just edit this into the above post, but it is a whole new consideration.
The two C-band, and two Ku-band LNBs on your Bullseye II need 18 to 24 volts to operate properly.
(yea, some new LNBs may skate by on 12 volts) - :rolleyes:

Here is Linuxman's mod to some powered 2x4 multiswitches:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...-modify-powered-3x4-multi-switch-show-me.html

And here is a similar mod to some powered 4x8 multiswitches by Pendragon:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/174802-naughty-mods-ii-4x8-switch-all-18v-outputs.html

Personally, I prefer powered multiswitches anyway (not a universally held opinion), but they are necessary for this application.

Personally, I prefer powered multiswitches anyway (not a universally held opinion), but they are necessary for this application.

I heartily agree with Anole about the first part, but it is possible to use power inserters instead of modding switches. I started out that way but doing it inside the switches is a lot cleaner, makes for less external wiring and is often less expensive. But if I didn't care to mod, inserters will work.

...it is possible to use power inserters instead of modding switches.
I think if you look for posts by ACradio, you'll find him talking all about the use of power inserters.

Not going to lay out all the arguments for one way or the other.
The short answer is:
- price
favors the switch mod; (not everyone is comfortable with a soldering iron)
- simplicity
of plug 'n play favors the power inserter. (anyone can spend money and make it work)

I recently got an ADL orthomode feedhorn, and was seriously considering getting the same switch as Linuxman (to follow his mod).
But, then I read Pendragon's mod (shown above), and was able to locate that switch cheaply.
I also kind of favor 4x- switches, and his was a 4x8, so for the price it was a no-brainer for me. ;)

And, if you search the forum for words like: "Bullseye", or "orthomode", you'll find more discussions to help you.
Of course, no one's blowing you off... as you can see by the multiple responses to your single post! - :D

I recently ran a test to check on any attenuation of C band signal with the Bullseye due to the KU throat being in the middle of the C band throat. I tested the Bullseye against a single band orthomode and the signals were identical. My dish is well suited for the Bullseye as it is a .4 f/d....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)