BUNCH of questions before I proceed to modify my Dish subscription/equipment. Help?

So I just chatted with Dish. Seems I should get the $5 autopay credit for switching to flex on my 2nd bill; for 24 months!
She said I'd qualify for a free hopper w/sling, or $100 for a hopper 3 (what's the difference?)
$15/mo for 1 hopper 1 joey, and $7/mo for add'l joeys
free install if I add the protection plan back (forgot to ask how long I need to keep it) or $95 w/o
Is there any problems with wireless joeys? I mean I have existing coax to all my TV's; it's just not that great, I think critters might have gotten into the cables running under my house). Does wireless use my existing wi-fi, or is it independent? Will it affect my internet/networking speeds? I only have 10Mps internet; and 100M switches/wi-fi

Do I contact DIRT on here for anything better?

I think my main concern is can I simulcast eiter/both boxes to my other TV's (I have 5, only need 2 or 3 with actual receivers on, others are in the kids room & bathroom; don't want to pay to watch TV on those; but can watch the same thing as on one of the boxes)

[ahh good old google] so a thread from 2013 says you can modulate the rca outputs to bradcast thru the home! yay!

DIRT can do better in many cases.

What's the difference between HWS and H3: 16 tuners, 4K support, to start with. Probably other features I'm forgetting.

Wireless Joey uses its own access point which supports up to 3 of them.

Getting signal from where a box is to a TV without a box is your responsibility. You can use modulators and coax, or HDMI splitter and cables. The remotes are UHF so should control the paired box from wherever, and you can pair multiple remotes to a box.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Cool, but I have chromecast anyway.

But sounds like I maybe able to cancel the Tivo plan I have in my bedroom & replace with a joey, so -$13 +$7 =)

Is that an actual 16 tuners, or is it counting PTAT as 5?

You can modulate, but it isn't built in, you have to buy a separate modulator. HDMI and RCA work at the same time unless you are watching 4K programming (H3 only). As usual, modulated programming is SD only.

Cool, but I have chromecast anyway.

But sounds like I maybe able to cancel the Tivo plan I have in my bedroom & replace with a joey, so -$13 +$7 =)

Is that an actual 16 tuners, or is it counting PTAT as 5?
It is 16 actual tuners. So, you can end up with 19 when you are using PTAT (which is anytime you are tuned to any channel within the four networks)

Thanks! I know it's SD, I'm used to it, sometimes just wanna catch the news or finish a show while in the shower; I don't care about the kids enough ;)
wow 16 shows, I can't even name 16 shows or channels! but the wifey would love it!
Is there real OTA (antenna)? storm/tornado season gets thick cloud cover & lose sat at times

You need your own antenna. You also need a USB dongle that connects to the antenna coax. Those are out of stock, hard to come by, and presumably a new version of the OTA dongle is in the works, but no idea on when.

OK, I think I'm going to do it.
3 Joey's, recommend wired or wireless?

I'm intrigued by the Bluetooth option, is it all Joey's? Can it be added?

Anything else I need to know?

Any old bt adapter, or a "special priced" dish one?
Any performance difference in wireless /wired (no 4k)
Any alternative to the OTA dongle? I really need antenna coverage. (I guess I can just watch antenna on the tv)

I do believe the BT adapter is a Dish specific one, and the OTA dongle is Dish specific. Currently out of stock, but Scotts rumor mill has a dual tuner OTA adapter coming out "soon".

I don't remember if you said why you'd like blue tooth. Keep in mind that it is only good for headsets (and maybe soundbars)....

I was thinking of when the wife dozes off and snoring so loud, I can use my bt headphones instead of cranking up the tv. But it'd be off a Joey in the bedroom vs the h3.

$16 is reasonable, I was seeing OTA dongles for $150+, that's ridiculous!

I was thinking of when the wife dozes off and snoring so loud, I can use my bt headphones instead of cranking up the tv. But it'd be off a Joey in the bedroom vs the h3.

$16 is reasonable, I was seeing OTA dongles for $150+, that's ridiculous!
Gotcha! I suffer from the same issue! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)