buried under the snow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

altadata

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Hi...
My satellite dish that's pointed at 97W was buried under the snow. It stayed buried for about 4 days.
I just digged it out today.
Now I have 0 signal quality. The other indicator ( I believe is S ) is normal ( 70-72% ).
The LNB + 2 pass trough connectors on each halves were under the snow.
I would rather not mess with the alignment/elevation. Is there any chance that this is an "connector" problem?
Thanks.

There's always a CHANCE, but IMO if you have signal STRENGTH but not signal QUALITY, your connectors are fine, unfortunately your alignment may be messed up due to being tossed around by shifting snow, but that is just a guess, because obviously in South Louisiana if my dishes ever get covered by snow we are in deep trouble!

I have a test cable that has a dodgy connector, and it loses strength and quality when it shorts out.

But of course some of our northern Brothers will have some ideas for you, I am sure.

It could be the connections or the LNB is just wet, but like Stogie said, if your getting a good strength reading, its more than likely the dish is off its mark. On an old LNB I had, I had to take it inside the house overnight every once in a while to dry up, then it worked. Give that a try first before you mess around with the dish itself.

I had a similar issue this winter...one night nothing came in, and since we just had a heavy (slushy) snow fall that day, I figured ice & snow were blocking the LNBF and/or covering the dish. The next day I went out to "clean it off" but there was nothing on it...went inside and it worked fine. Hopefully a nice sunny, dry day is all you need (seems to be what worked for me).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)