Motor recommendation for DW6000 (39"x23") dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WildeComputers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I think it's time to move to the next phase ... and get a motor.

The brochure I have on my DW6000 says the weigh its ~5 lbs. Now, I find this iffy at best. I suspect that was the weight of the modem and not the weight of the dish itself. My guess is the dish will be ~40 lbs. (or less) as I recall it was a little heavier to lift with one arm, but not as heavy as a bag of water softener salt.

What would be the best choice in a motor? HH90, HH120 or SG2100?

SG2100 should fit the bill. It's probably the most popular and versatile motor. I have both an hh90 and SG2100 and both perform well on 36" dishes. The SG2100 , though can handle a larger dish, if necessary , and physically is a larger motor. The SG2100 is probably cheaper, but the HH90 has a longer warranty. I think you would find the hh120 to be overkill. It can handle a heavier load, but is much slower than the other two you mention. My recommendation, the SG2100 .

:)

Brent

Take off all the extra weight you can, like that transmitter section on the lnb support, it unbolts. Cover up the hole that's left (the waveguide) and you'll be much lighter. That part, and the heavy mount makes up most of the heft of that thing. I have one of those, it was the white dish /mount and it is heavy! Never tried to motorize it but I suspect if you get rid of the clamp-part of the mount that would help even more. All you need is a way to fasten it to the motor shaft.

I always recommend the SG-2100 regardless of big or small dish...but in this case, if that dish is reallly 40lbs I doubt it will move it, and if it does it probably wont for long, I used a sg-2100 with a Winegard 1 meter for a few years, (it weighed 30lbs or so) and that was about its limit. Looking back at your post, the size 39"x23" so I doubt it is that heavy....my Winegard is about 39"x44".

I removed the RF transmitter when I put it to use for FTA. The only thing I kept on it was that plastic "bubble" to try and protect the LNBF from the weather.

Thanks for the recommendations, I placed an order for a SG2100...so hopefully next weekend will be nice weather for some outdoor fun!

Those 39x23 dishes are HEAVY and its the bracket on the back. I had a DirecPC dish and that bugger was mainly the bracket on the back when it came to weight

It's a sturdy dish for a fixed-dish setup, mine got a great signal on G10. But washed out in the rain fairly quickly, so I stole the lnbf off it and put it on a 1m primestar lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.