Burnett to Blue Jays; Reds' Casey dealt to Pirates

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
DALLAS - The Toronto Blue Jays have come in out of the cold after a decade of frugality.

One of baseball's biggest spenders in the days when they were competing for championships - and winning back-to-back World Series in 1992-93 - the Blue Jays continued an offseason of big spending by signing free-agent pitcher A.J. Burnett to a five-year, $55-million contract Tuesday.

Burnett, 28, has a career losing record (49-50), but he received the biggest free-agent contract for a starting pitcher since Chan Ho Park left the Dodgers for the Texas Rangers in December 2001 and signed a five-year, $65 million contract the Rangers quickly came to regret.

Earlier this offseason, the Blue Jays also signed free-agent reliever B.J. Ryan to a five-year, $47 million contract. Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi says he has been given the green light to increase the Blue Jays' payroll from $45million to about $75 million by Rogers Communications.

Blue Jays ownership clearly believes Ricciardi is the man to spend the team's new resources. He was given a contract extension Tuesday as general manager and senior vice president of baseball operations that runs through the 2010 season.

In Tuesday's other news at the winter meetings, the Pittsburgh Pirates and Cincinnati Reds agreed to a trade that will send first baseman Sean Casey to Pittsburgh for left-hander Dave Williams. The San Francisco Giants and Baltimore Orioles swapped relievers with left-hander Steve Kline going to San Francisco for right-hander LaTroy Hawkins and cash considerations. Kline replaces Scott Eyre, who was signed by the Chicago Cubs as a free agent.

ANGELS UPDATE

Despite rumors that a three-way trade involving the Angels, Boston Red Sox and Arizona Diamondbacks could be imminent, Angels general manager Bill Stoneman continued to give the impression that he is not ready to pay the price the Red Sox are trying to extract for slugger Manny Ramirez.

Stoneman said Tuesday he was more focused on acquiring pitching than offense at this point and was not interested in making a trade that would help the Angels in one area while leaving them short in another.

"Our thought (in improving the offense this offseason) was directed a lot towards free agency and in particular to one (Paul Konerko)," Stoneman said. "That doesn't mean if we can acquire a middle of the order bat that we won't look into it. But right now it looks like it would weaken us in an area where we don't want to weaken ourselves."

That points to a reluctance to part with a package of young players, starting pitcher Ervin Santana in particular.

"When someone asks you about pitching these days, you think long and hard about it," Stoneman said.

DODGERS UPDATE

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti essentially confirmed that he has made an offer to free-agent third baseman Bill Mueller. When asked about potential short-term solutions at third base Mueller, Joe Randa and Nomar Garciaparra, Colletti said "I have one I like" and said he has made an offer to one of the three.

Mueller was with the San Francisco Giants from 1996-2000 when Colletti was the assistant general manager there. He won the AL batting title with a .326 average in 2003 and made $2.5million with the Red Sox last season.

Mueller, 34, reportedly has a two-year offer from the Pittsburgh Pirates as well. Colletti said he wouldn't hesitate to offer two years to a third baseman despite the fact top prospect Andy LaRoche could be ready to man that position at the major-league level in 2007, if not win it in the spring.

NOTES

Dodgers infielder Antonio Perez was hit in the face during a game early in the Dominican Winter League season and suffered a fracture. Colletti declined to comment on the nature of Perez's injury until he had more information. ... Outfielder Jason Grabowski, who spent parts of the past two seasons with the Dodgers, has signed a contract to play for the Orix Buffaloes in Japan next season. ... The San Diego Padres might be on the verge of dealing third baseman Sean Burroughs to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for right-hander Dewon Brazelton.

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdeennews/sports/13345447.htm

Blue Jays open their checkbook

DALLAS - After 12 years of mediocrity, the Toronto Blue Jays are relevant again in the wild world of baseball finances. But will that make a difference in the American League East standings?

That's the biggest question to be answered in 2006 in the wake of the Blue Jays' spending spree this week at the winter meetings. For the first time since Joe Carter's World Series-winning home run in 1993, the Jays are the talk of the major leagues and hope to challenge the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox.

The buzz continued Tuesday as Toronto signed Florida pitcher A.J. Burnett - the top free-agent arm on the market - to a five-year, $55 million contract a few hours after announcing a three-year extension for General Manager J.P. Ricciardi. The Burnett news conference was huge news north of the border, as it was aired live throughout Canada.

The deal is the biggest given to a free-agent pitcher since Texas gave Chan Ho Park five years and $65 million in 2001. It comes a week after Toronto signed Baltimore closer B.J. Ryan for five years and $47 million.

"We've taken the slings and arrows from people over the years. Now we're trying to find the missing parts and we're getting closer," said Blue Jays President and CEO Paul Godfrey. "We're going to be more competitive, and there's a great feeling in the city now that baseball is coming back.

"You can't change the direction of a battleship overnight. You have to slowly make the move and that's what's happened."

Burnett immediately becomes the No. 2 man in a Toronto rotation that includes ace Roy Halladay and star lefty Gustavo Chacin, a 13-game winner last season as a rookie. Ted Lilly and Josh Towers give Toronto five legitimate starters.

"They've got the parts of the puzzle. I'm just glad I fit in it," said Burnett, who was presented with his white No. 34 jersey and black cap. "Sooner, rather than later, we're going to see a new team on top of this division."

The Blue Jays have jumped back into the free-agent pool thanks to an infusion of money from the team's owners, Rogers Communications. The payroll is going to jump from $45 million to $75 million next year as ownership has pledged a total of $210 million over the next three seasons.

"One thing you learn about the free agent game: You're in it or you're out of it," Ricciardi said. "You can't be in it half-(way)."

The Jays were owned by Labatt from their birth in 1977 until the company was sold in June 1995 to Belgium brewer Interbrew. That company dismantled the power teams of the 80s and 90s, and empty seats became the norm at the SkyDome. Rogers, the Ontario cable giant, purchased 80 percent of the team in 2000 and became the sole owner in November 2004.

It also purchased the stadium, renaming it Rogers Centre, and is in the midst of a multiyear renovation project to make the stadium more fan-friendly and increase its revenue streams.

"It's a nice luxury to have some money to work with," Ricciardi said. "But to be at $75 million is not breaking the bank in Major League Baseball. I know people say we overpaid for Ryan. But I'm going to feel a lot more comfortable when Ryan comes running out of the bullpen for the ninth inning than I have the last four years."

Burnett, 28, has been considered the top pitcher on the market even though he was just 12-12 for the Marlins last year, 49-50 for his career and was sent home the last week of last season for criticizing manager Jack McKeon and the coaching staff.

Burnett missed almost all of the Marlins' 2003 World Series season following reconstructive elbow surgery but possesses a 98-mph fastball and threw a no-hitter in 2001 against San Diego. He's being reunited with Toronto pitching coach Brad Arnsberg, for whom he worked in 2002 and went 12-9. The Blue Jays had a scout at all 32 of Burnett's 2005 starts for Florida.

"I'll never forget 2002 was the best season in my career," Burnett said. "Everything clicked and he's a big part of that. I'm looking forward to working with him and getting back on track again."

"Arnie' is capable of getting him over the top," said Jays manager John Gibbons. "The stuff is there. We feel he's coming into his prime and is on the verge of exploding."

The Blue Jays say they still need another bat in their lineup; they had hoped to sign outfielder Brian Giles, but he stayed with San Diego. With Burnett and Ryan in the fold, 2005 closer Miguel Batista is likely to be traded.

"To get two out of three guys we targeted is huge for us," Gibbons said. "The past few years we haven't been able to get people to Toronto by guaranteeing postseason berths so we've had to offer top dollar. Now we'll be taken a little more seriously."

Burnett had a four-year, $40 million offer from St. Louis that was tempting because he grew up across the Missouri border in Arkansas. His wife, Karen, is from the Baltimore area and the Washington Nationals were a late player he also spurned.

In the end, he said getting a chance to pitch for Arnsberg - and battle the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East - was too good to pass up.

"I wanted to accept a challenge and not run from it," he said. "I'm looking forward to playing in this division. It's going to be a good run and fun time. Sign me up. I'm ready to go."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051207/1055359.asp

B.J. Ryan and Burnett may look like nice pick ups for Toronto but Ryan has yet to prove that he is a closer beyond last year. Burnett is quite a mystery. Every analyst admires how good "stuff" this guy has but yet his lifetime record is under .500 with a Marlin's team that was pretty good. Mr. Willis was able to win big with the Marlins but Burnett couldn't. He may find his stuff in Toronto but will see what happens once the season starts.

DAC invites its three Heisman finalists

World Cup Drawing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts