Buy 921 now or wait? If now, then where?

Bannor

Original poster
May 23, 2004
About to very belatedly jump onto the HD bandwagon. Having a Samsung HLN507W delivered this week. Already have DISH and was about to buy the 921. However, neither Sears nor Radio Shack sell it. In fact they say the 921 has big problems that DISH is trying to fix.......anyone know the real truth? Should I wait or keep searching to buy one now? :confused:

921's are slowly becoming available, but still hard to find. Yes, lots of bugs. Missing features. Fixes slow in coming. I wouldn't give mine up. :) I've seen comments like "not ready for prime time" and "wife hostile". I agree with them. I'm a techie and can deal with it.

You should read the rest of this forum and the Official Dish DVR-921 Support Forum at DBSTalk before making your decision.

Bannor said:
About to very belatedly jump onto the HD bandwagon. Having a Samsung HLN507W delivered this week. Already have DISH and was about to buy the 921. However, neither Sears nor Radio Shack sell it. In fact they say the 921 has big problems that DISH is trying to fix.......anyone know the real truth? Should I wait or keep searching to buy one now? :confused:

www.dishdepot.com advertises that they are shipping the 921 unit, but it will take 3 - 6 weeks from the date of order to get one. I ordered one myself last week so I hope in July or August I will see one. ;)

MikeD-C05 said:
www.dishdepot.com advertises that they are shipping the 921 unit, but it will take 3 - 6 weeks from the date of order to get one. I ordered one myself last week so I hope in July or August I will see one. ;)
Unless dish starts releasing a lot of new machines, I wouldn't believe it. I am on their list in the first 50 (ordered 2/2003) and I haven't heard anything

I ordered 2/27/03 and a couple of weeks ago I was #23 on the list. I don't know if Mark has shipped any the last couple of weeks or not.

Mark talked to me yesterday on my cell phone from work and he said he is lucky to get one 921 a week. He said he has no idea what the hold up is from Dish ( they won't tell him anything about the holdup) , and that he has many people who are cancelling their order for the 921 and going with the Directv hd tivo instead. He has plenty of those and he sells both Dish and Directv now. He takes trade ins for old Dish receivers on new Dish receivers and now takes trade ins on old Directv receivers for new Directv receivers. He can't do dish on Directv or vice a versa. He promised me I "might" get one by Sept . in time for the fall season. If I don't see one by Sept. I too will cancel my order and just wait for the 942 since it is promised to come out by November of this year . The 942 sounds a little more practical and it sounds like it will be more affordable as well. Of course it works on the 522 platform which is still not stable last time I heard.

It's strange (or not) that the 921 production hasn't ramped up. One really has to start to think that it's on purpose.

Either they are still waiting for improved software, or they are going to trickle them out until the box is replaced by the 942.

I agree with Scott in that they are going to just trickle enough out just to say they are shipping.I'm paying allot for movie channels and the HD pack that I can't watch until I get someway time-shift them because I work 7 days a week. I think I would be better off to just cancel the movie channels and my 921 order and the Hd pack and just start buying DVD'S.I know their not as good as HD,but they are pretty dang close. I could buy allot of them for what I'm paying Charlie.

Jump to Direct TV?

With the delay in general release of the 921 and now all the talk about 942 being a relplacement (2005?)......maybe I should just switch to Direct TV as they seem to have HD TiVo units immediately available.......anyone else considering or already made this jump?

Anyone heard good or bad stuff about the Direct TV HD DVR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)