Buy vs Lease

greasemonkey

Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Hi guys,

Nubee here. Did a keyword search and came up empty. Simple question:

Just had DN installed and am now wondering why I shouldn't buy the extra SD receiver I'm now paying $10/month for. I'd also like to hook up both sides of my dual to my big screen for pip.

I see them on Ebay for 50 bucks or so (and claim to have fees paid up). Steps do I take to install it? Registration with DN, etc? What should I watch out for? Any units that won't work for some reason on today's system? Any links to sites that lay all the options out?

Etc, etc.

Thanks, y'all!!

Welcome! I both lease and own, kinda convoluted, a result of not fully understanding my options. E* allows you to do both. (With D* I believe it is strictly lease going forward.) Make sure anything you buy is "free and clear" or E* will not activate it. That would be a matter of contacting the seller for the R and S numbers in advance and then contacting E* tech service to make sure they'll activate that particular unit for you. I'd stay away from any legacy equipment and go the the Dish Pro stuff to assure yourself of longest support. If you're buying from a private seller it's strictly caveat emptor, however. If you're not sure about installation, you can get a lot of help in these forums, but narrow your search by focusing on just one or two models. Also - you need to be sure the existing equipment (dish(es), etc.) are right for your planned upgrade. It would do you well to take stock of exactly what's currently installed to be sure you have an easy upgrade path to what you're planning to add. Whether you can return any leased receivers you currently have and replace them with owned equipment is also a function of any commitments you might have entered on those leased units. I'm not aware of any "links" other than to these threads. Sorry but not such a simple answer to a "simple" question...

Thanks for your thoughts, bhelms.

To show you how "nu" I am, should I assume E* is Echostar and D* Dish Network? I'm technically a subscriber to the D* service provided by E* and the receivers they installed are leased. I have the impression it is possible to own vs lease.

Where can I get a list of DishPro compatible receivers?

Thanks, again!

Thanks for your thoughts, bhelms.

To show you how "nu" I am, should I assume E* is Echostar and D* Dish Network? I'm technically a subscriber to the D* service provided by E* and the receivers they installed are leased. I have the impression it is possible to own vs lease.

Where can I get a list of DishPro compatible receivers?

Thanks, again!
You state the receivers they installed are leased. The maximum you can have on a lease is 4 tuners, if you have 2 dual tuners you have the most that you can lease. Beyond 4 leased tuners you must BUY the additional receivers and pay for switches and installation. There is no advantage of owning over leasing except saying the receiver is yours. If you lease you pay a $5 lease fee if you own the $5lease fee is replaced by an additional receiver fee of $5, same fee different name.
D* is DIRECTV
E* is DISH NOTWERK:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)