Buyer Beware " First Strike Meter Clones"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is the meter that I original was talking about , but took me a while to find my original email to First Strike. ,and this is the reply that I received from First Strike .

Untitled Document Web site

Thanks for contacting us and thanks for your interest in our meters.

It's a copy. Look at it closely. They tried to copy a older model. It may look the same but it is not a First Strike Meter.
First thing to look for is, does it have 2 digits or 3 digits in the upper left Azimuth window? Does their Azimuth work?
Click here to see some of the advantages of our meter.

They can make it look the same, but it is very difficult to copy our technology. First Strike Meters technology is light years ahead of any meter in it's price range.

Let me know if we can be of more help to you.

Support

On 3/25/2011 11:47 AM,
I came across a meter being sold by Orbitaltracker which is called a Tracker Light which looks just like your meter as even the displays are the same. Is this your meter but under a manufacturing agreement or just another clone?

I have the K version of the Firststrike meter that has 2 digit Azimuth, and non working azimuth. So they shouldn't use those criteria as a bench mark for identifying a clone, as their K version of the FS1 has the same issues as they stated in their email. Based on their latest promotion, I did send my FS1 meter for an upgrade to the "L" version so that it would have a 3 digit Azimuth and also make the azimuth work properly, for a fee, plus shipping. See here. Brian from SatelliteAv just made me understand game.

Tracker Light

I have several (42) of the Tracker Light Meters and like them very much. We do installs for DirecTV and Dishnetwork have 49 techs . We have never had an issue with the Tracker Light. Orbital Tracker makes 6-7 different satellite meters first strike just make one? and the Tracker light is the clone? I contacted them and their soft ware update will add the extra digit to the azimuth. They informed me that they are a Global Company and that most other countries use the two digit azimuth.

I have several (42) of the Tracker Light Meters and like them very much. We do installs for DirecTV and Dishnetwork have 49 techs . We have never had an issue with the Tracker Light. Orbital Tracker makes 6-7 different satellite meters first strike just make one? and the Tracker light is the clone? I contacted them and their soft ware update will add the extra digit to the azimuth. They informed me that they are a Global Company and that most other countries use the two digit azimuth.

Well, I just have to reply to this posting as either you have a company and employ 49 techs and are happy with them or your posting is a whole lot of BS......which I think is the latter.
And here's why I think that....first this is your first and only posting and you didn't read all the other postings in this thread.or you would know who First Strike really is and who owns it..

Second, as.your location is listed as Florida which just happens to also be where SAtpro is and is also a distributor for Orbital Tracker.So it sounds to me like this thread may be affecting your company sales and people maybe asking questions.

So if you want to prove me wrong just post your company name and city. I'll reseach your company , if needed I'll call Directv and Dish and then I'll even call you to really check it out.

Last edited:
Look guy I don't need to prove anything to you but i will just to shut you up. I work for MASTec one of Directvs largest HSP's our number is 786-273-3340 feel free to call DirecTV or the White House to confirm. The fact is the Tracker Light meter is a proven meter used by our tech's. I also think you have to much time on your hands and over analyze peoples post its amazing. Do you have a day job?

Look guy I don't need to prove anything to you but i will just to shut you up. I work for MASTec one of Directvs largest HSP's our number is 786-273-3340 feel free to call DirecTV or the White House to confirm. The fact is the Tracker Light meter is a proven meter used by our tech's. I also think you have to much time on your hands and over analyze peoples post its amazing. Do you have a day job?

Have No fear about shutting me up as I've got all the free time that I need after taking early retirement to post here. But I’m glad you came back , but you know that you gave a company name that appears to be only a telecommunication company with only 5-9 employees that’s listed with that number, so without your name to ask about you might have just picked a company out of the phone book as far as I can tell.

I could disagree with you all day long about this, but again this form is really not for that.
You may like the meter but all my research still points to it being a CLONE and that’s still my opinion.
Others can also check the company out on the internet and they also can make up their own decision about the meters as I think this thread has about gone far enough and should be put to bed as nothing more will probably be accomplished.

How about it Iceberg, time for bed or do we keep going?

PS. You might check your phone as it appears to be not working, been getting a busy signal all the time.

Heres another one that looks the same as the other 2 in this thread "Lexium FastAlign® 5100Pro satellite finder meter"

From what I've found so far the N America distributor is WS International which from first reading appears to be maybe the owner of Lexium, if not, sure looks like they have a big vested interest in them. This doesn't surprise me but after more checking they both have the same company address in GA and CA

About Us | About LEXIUM
WS International Wholesale Satellite Distributor and Supplier of Free To Air (FTA), MPEGII, DVB Satellite Equipment

Last edited:
Saw the meter at ANGA Cable show this week with three different OEM labels being distributed by three different European companies. All had the "unique" 3 digits. Guess it isn't so unique of an identifier for the OEM product.

From what I've found so far the N America distributor is WS International which from first reading appears to be maybe the owner of Lexium, if not sure looks like they have a big vested interest in them. This doesn't surprise me but after more checking they both have the same company address in GA and CA

About Us | About LEXIUM
WS International Wholesale Satellite Distributor and Supplier of Free To Air (FTA), MPEGII, DVB Satellite Equipment
This is getting very interesting. So now, we have the same meter under different names by different entities. How did Brian from SatAV explain this again? :confused:

Edit: I found the explanation. See Below:
It doesn't matter if the meter was called the meter Orbit or Orbital. The problem is that you keep stating that the "Tracker Light" is a clone. I have no affiliation with this company, but I do understand marketing BS and how easy it can be to discredit another OEM importer with the suggestion that their product is somehow inferior and is a "CLONE".

DMSI contracts a manufacturer to place their "FS1" label on a meter. Orbital Tracker contracts a manufacturer to place their "Tracker Light" label on a meter. Both companies are buying a meter that is manufactured for any company to place their label on.... The process for a company to contract a manufacturer to produce a product under their own brand and model (with or without changes in the firmware) is called OEM.

I know nothing of the DM-1900 origin, but it may just be another company producing an OEM version of the same product from the same factory. I simply would not choose to buy the ebay version DM-1900 from Hong Kong as it is by-passing the distribution chain for the North American market.

Last edited:
Ah yes. Again a factory putting out meters for different companies- all under each ones names. Another example are Digital VOMs made mostly for the automotive hobbyist. I have about 8. with 4 different brand names, I paid $1.99 to 4.99 for them.. and I see them listed for up to $49.95. (I got 3 of mine from Harbour Freight). None are clones. All are just OEM. Brian KNOWS what he is talking about.
Please quit the ignorant flaming.

Ah yes. Again a factory putting out meters for different companies- all under each ones names. Another example are Digital VOMs made mostly for the automotive hobbyist. I have about 8. with 4 different brand names, I paid $1.99 to 4.99 for them.. and I see them listed for up to $49.95. (I got 3 of mine from Harbour Freight). None are clones. All are just OEM. Brian KNOWS what he is talking about.
Please quit the ignorant flaming.

Myself, I've never purchased anything from Harbor Freight as a lot of reviews put their items as junk and at the low end of quality. By having to buy so many meters they are almost like throw alway meters. I purchased two Fluke meters in 86, one for my tool bag and the other for brench work and still use them today. And only sending them out for recalibration service every so often. I've learned a lone time ago that you get what you pay for.

So it still comes down to is that First Strike was able to sell a meter that has been successful, and I believe that they were the first to offer it, and now everyone is trying to get in on the action since FTA seems to be a good new market. But in my opinion all these other companies have made a knockoff of the FS1 meter. Now whether they can be classified as a Component design/brand , Clones or Counterfeit only opening one up could determine that. But since FS1 was out first on the market to me they are the OEM and the others fall into one of the other areas.

I'll be the first to omit that the more I research the more I find confusing with all the contradictory definitions and usage of OEM.

1) An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, manufactures products or components that are purchased by a company and retailed under that purchasing company's brand name.[ref 1] OEM refers to the company that originally manufactured the product.

2) OEM may refer to a company that purchases, for use in its own products, a component made by a second company

So I guess it comes down to what part of the definition were using in this case.

Last item first OEM used to mean only "manufacturer" now it has changed to add "marketer". It probably was seldom actually understood to designate the Original Manufacturer ---- except that it really meant that there was a factory that built and distributed the Equipment to others as private labeled brands. So as you state there are 2 definitions, that really probably have always meant the same thing.

Fluke equipment was originally made in Montlake Terrace, Washington, then an assembly plant was added in Everett on Evergreen Way, before moving to a location north of the Boeing Everett plant. As far as I know - and I have been gone from there for about 20 years - they are still US built. Therefore you may see "clones" of John Fluke's equipment, but not re-brands or "OEM".

I am surprised you need to send yours out for calibration. Mine were only checked (at Everett) to be sure they are still within specification.

The multitude of DVMs. I own a Fluke 8020a (1976 model) and Fluke 77. My Fluke 8030 (also a 1976 model) was run over by a semi-truck! It was replaced with a portable model - under warranty.

I use the cheap meters installed at the battery banks; in the motor homes and sheds. I am going to need to ADD 2 more.

Oh, yes, One further answer = I know I get what I pay for. I want digital readouts that have repeatability first accuracy third. For $1.99 I get it.

Second, I worked for John Fluke, Sr. and Jr., and John Zevenbergen answering to them personally. They made the greatest products available at that time. We used Tectronics o-scopes (hope I spelled that right) until they developed their own! With the integrity of the founders, I doubt you will see them as OEM customers.

I am surprised you need to send yours out for calibration. Mine were only checked (at Everett) to be sure they are still within specification. .

Probably not really needed but just got into doing it when I was working as a Clinical Engineering in a hospital back in Indiana as it was required.yearly. So now I just send them back to BC Group to be rechecked and it doesn't cost that much. But since being retired I may not have a need to send them back as often.

If somebody stole my design, I would sue them over it!!!
There is no real evidence to support these clone claims. There is lots of evidence that suggests we are being sold the same China product under different labels or altered packaging.

I have seen lots of claims about fta products being clones. I see these claims posted on internet message boards but I do not see any lawsuits. This tells me that they are probably all selling the same stuff from China.
The people making this stuff are smart. They make first strike meters, lnbs and receivers under one name or packaging style. Everybody that wants one gets one. Then when the sales start dropping, they change the name or packaging slightly and sell the same products again. Maybe they lower the price a bit on the second go around so they can get more customers.

I understand that some people making these clone claims are trying to help and protect others. But there are people making these baseless clone claims so they can bash another vendor. This is a cheap shot at best.
Almost everything that comes out of China is a copy of another product. You can almost be guaranteed that your China made product is manufactured using the cheapest materials available regardless of the Vendor's name that is put on the product. GregH

If somebody stole my design, I would sue them over it!!!

Trying to sue a Chinese companies... LOL. Chinese Companies can just say " SO SUE ME " because it's not going to get you anything as any judgement here in the United States will be a waste of time as Chinese courts basically ignore US judgments. So what recourse would a company have except going to China and then wasting a lot of time and money with probably no benefit in the end. And even if you could win they just shut down and reopen under a new name and location..
Small ticket items is just a no win issue and that's why they get away with making copies of just about everything, bigger companies can locate in China and have more power to stop the problem.
Just Google about suing Chinese companies to see what companies have to face.

Chinese Companies Can Say, "So Sue Me." : China Law Blog : China Law for Business
How To Sue A Chinese Company. Part IV. Arbitration In The U.S. And Suing In China. : China Law Blog : China Law for Business

Oh, yes, One further answer = I know I get what I pay for. I want digital readouts that have repeatability first accuracy third. For $1.99 I get it.

Second, I worked for John Fluke, Sr. and Jr., and John Zevenbergen answering to them personally. They made the greatest products available at that time. We used Tectronics o-scopes (hope I spelled that right) until they developed their own! With the integrity of the founders, I doubt you will see them as OEM customers.

I know if I was doing doing a lot of outside work that might damage my Fluke then I also would be owning another less expense meter from some company. And I'd still put them at the top for test equipment.
The spelling is Tektronic and I still use a nice old 453 scope on my bench when needed.

Trying to sue a Chinese companies... LOL. Chinese Companies can just say " SO SUE ME " because it's not going to get you anything as any judgement here in the United States will be a waste of time as Chinese courts basically ignore US judgments. So what recourse would a company have except going to China and then wasting a lot of time and money with probably no benefit in the end. And even if you could win they just shut down and reopen under a new name and location..
Small ticket items is just a no win issue and that's why they get away with making copies of just about everything, bigger companies can locate in China and have more power to stop the problem.
Just Google about suing Chinese companies to see what companies have to face.

Chinese Companies Can Say, "So Sue Me." : China Law Blog : China Law for Business
How To Sue A Chinese Company. Part IV. Arbitration In The U.S. And Suing In China. : China Law Blog : China Law for Business

Thanks for supporting my point of view, and you are right!!!!
The U.S. vendors cannot sue each other because like you said, it is a Chinese product they are selling. The first strike meters sold by the different vendors are not clones because they are all made in China. No U.S. manufacturer or vendor can lay a claim to the design of the first strike meters, therefore no lawsuits.
Have a good Day.
GregH

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts