Buying A New TV: Purchase The In-Store Warranty?

goreds2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
OHIO
Buying a new TV within the next week or three. I was just wanting opinions regarding warranty concerning buying Plasma, LCD or LED. I am leaning toward plasma.

From what I have seen,

• Walmart offers a two year warranty
  • Best Buy a four year warranty
  • HH Gregg a five year warranty
Should I purchase an in-store warranty?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Buy with credit card and double your warranty. You do have to contact your credit card company after the purchase and they will send you the information. You will need a copy of the reciept, copy of the warranty info and credit card statement.

Depends on whether you can afford to risk a failure. These store warranties are the highest profit items sold. The salesman likely has a quota that a certain percentage of sales must include the warranty, so he will push it hard. He will often use scare tactics like quoting the cost of a replacement panel.

The extended warranty and add-ons are where the store makes most of its profits, as the price of the set itself is driven down through competition to the point where it is being sold at near cost.

So, no, the warranty is a bad investment. However, if you just spent your last dime on the set, it can provide some peace of mind.

Buying a new TV within the next week or three. I was just wanting opinions regarding warranty concerning buying Plasma, LCD or LED. I am leaning toward plasma.

From what I have seen,

• Walmart offers a two year warranty
  • Best Buy a four year warranty
  • HH Gregg a five year warranty
Should I purchase an in-store warranty?

Thanks in advance for any input.

The way the price of electronics generally decrease on a yearly basis, I wouldn't. I have 52 inch sony projection that I paid $1300 for, five years ago, that plays beautiful but is huge. I could probably get mmmm $300 for it on craiglist on a good day.:mad:

I have a 26 samsung lcd that I paid what I though was a great price of $600 for it, in Jan 2009, and could buy the same tv now for about $350.

Why increase your cost even more. Take your chances and if it fails; it will be probably far less to replace it with new, rather pay an outrageous extended warranty.

ABC Warehouse in our area kinds of adds a twist to the "extended warranty" if you go the entire five years (extended warranty) without using it you get half back in a store credit. Worked out good for me as My TV has no repair work done, so I got a store credit of about 180 or so.

ABC Warehouse in our area kinds of adds a twist to the "extended warranty" if you go the entire five years (extended warranty) without using it you get half back in a store credit. Worked out good for me as My TV has no repair work done, so I got a store credit of about 180 or so.

It also worked out great for the store since they got about $180 extra out of you.

I generally do not get the BBuy or other store warranty, it's either the manufacturer or the square trade warranty from amazon. My Panny plasma had a board problem at 13 months, boy was i glad I had a Panny in home.

I bought a Mack warranty for my last TV purchase. Search avsforums. 3yr warranty at a good price. Starts after the manufacturer's 1 yr is over. Just helped my brother buy a 42" LCD from BB. Was going to tell him to take a look at MAck, but the BB warranty was basically the same price.

Last edited:

It also worked out great for the store since they got about $180 extra out of you.

Not only that but they got you to pre-pay $180 on your next purchase. That gives them a $180 price advantage over the competition, meaning that you are very likely to buy from them at their price.

I bought a Mack warranty for my last TV purchase. Search avsforums. 3yr warranty at a good price. Starts after the manufacturer's 1 yr is over. Just helped my brother buy a 42" LCD from BB. Was going to tell him to take a look at MAck, but the BB warranty was basically the same price.

Also a very good option, if the manufacturer is expensive, or dont want square trade.

I udnerstand the blanket "no" from people, but after having it save me on a washer and on my plasma, I cant knock it if the price is right.

I udnerstand the blanket "no" from people, but after having it save me on a washer and on my plasma, I cant knock it if the price is right.

Well, I didn't do a blanket 'no'. However, in my case, I believe I have still saved overall by refusing the warranty and taking my lumps in the few cases where something died.

Another thing to consider when buying from BB. They seem to have recently changed their policies. If you don't buy an extended warranty from them, they go absolutely limp on returns and warranty work. I had a Wii fail 20 days after purchase and they forced me to deal with the Nintendo mail in warranty work. In the past they have had 30-60 day return policy for defective gear. I have heard similar tales recently about BB.

Unfortunately, their warranty is the priciest one around.

I wasn't pointing you or anyone out, its Vurbano's post that made me think about the common perception.

It all depends on me for price too. If its a $300 product, generally not. But a $1100 washer, or $2500 tv, yes. To me, $200 for a 3-4yr warranty is nice to me.

Buy with credit card and double your warranty. You do have to contact your credit card company after the purchase and they will send you the information. You will need a copy of the reciept, copy of the warranty info and credit card statement.

I bought mine with a Master Card but I purchased it via debit. Can I still double the warranty?

I bought mine with a Master Card but I purchased it via debit. Can I still double the warranty?

Using a debit card is not the same as using a credit card. I am not aware of any company that allows the benefits of a credit card with use of there debit card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts