Buying own equipment?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

94harleyrider

Original poster
May 14, 2009
Portage, PA
Last week I finally pulled the trigger, and bought my first HDTV. I have been using a TVRO/4DTV system for years, and while it provides an outstanding SD picture, and a lot of channels for a really good price, it has little to offer in the way of HDTV. I like DTV's packages and available channels better than Dish's. Unfortunately, when trying to order a programming/equipment package, I got a message saying my creit rating required a $300 deposit. Regardless of several emails from their customer service reps trying to put a spin on it, and telling me what a great deal it was for them to give me my $300 back at $5/month for five years, while they collect interest on the balance. :( Anyway, for the same $300 I can get the same equipment online (DIRECTV HR22 HD/DVR + 5-LNB SLIMLINE SAT DISH for $295), and I'd own it. Now the questions are:

*Would they still want a deposit, even if I own the equipment?

*Would my programming package be cheaper, since I wouldn't be leasing the equipment from them?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

Where would you be getting that online that you "own" it?

The HR22's are new enough that almost all of them are leased units, and regardless of the ownership issue, DirecTV would still require the deposit when you went to activate the account.

Your programming costs would be the same, owned or leased. The additional receiver "Lease" or "Mirroring" fees only kick in with the second and additional receivers.

Where would you be getting that online that you "own" it?

The HR22's are new enough that almost all of them are leased units, and regardless of the ownership issue, DirecTV would still require the deposit when you went to activate the account.

Your programming costs would be the same, owned or leased. The additional receiver "Lease" or "Mirroring" fees only kick in with the second and additional receivers.

Why would they require a deposit, if I owned the equipment? If I was late on a payment, they would just shut off my programming. They certainly wouldn't be out $300. It seems to me that the programming should be cheaper, if I'm not leasing equipment from them.

As to where I'd get the equipment, just check eBay, there are hundreds of them, like the package here.

As to where I'd get the equipment, just check eBay, there are hundreds of them, like the package here.
I'll repost the disclaimer from that listing here so that you can read it without all of the other large, colorful superlatives:
Disclaimer said:
FOR ANY NEW OR CURRENT DIRECTV SUBSCRIBERS. CAN BE USED AS AN UPGRADE, REPLACEMENT OR ADD-ON TO A CURRENT CUSTOMER ACCOUNT (DIRECTV MAY REQUIRE IT BE PLACED ON YOUR ACCOUNT AS A LEASED RECEIVER AND MAY ALSO REQUIRE A COMMITMENT. YOU CAN CONTACT DIRECTV FOR ANY OPTIONS THEY HAVE). DIRECTV DOES CONTROL HOW ANY NEW RECEIVER WILL BE PUT ON YOUR ACCOUNT NO MATTER WHERE YOU MAY GET ONE FROM. IT IS AT THE SOLE DESCRETION OF DIRECTV FOR THE OWNERSHIP OF THIS RECEIVER.
Practically speaking, you can change the word "may" to "will".

DIRECTV has been pretty adamant about not allowing full retail offerings of receivers on eBay.

Might add that I just looked at eBay and while there are a number of HR22's for "sale" most of the sellers are up front, like they should be, about it being a lease. There is one private seller who isn't quite as forthcoming but I'd almost guarantee that a check with DirecTV of the RID number, if you could get it from the seller, would show the unit is leased and not owned. The packages that include the dish are clearly leased receivers. We're not trying to "jack your jaws". Folks here are pretty experienced DirecTV and Dish customers and we're just trying to help.

:( Anyway, for the same $300 I can get the same equipment online (DIRECTV HR22 HD/DVR + 5-LNB SLIMLINE SAT DISH for $295), and I'd own it. Now the questions are:

Thanks for any help!

Mark
Yea you wish. Thats still a lease price.
To Own a HR-22 and a Slimline , Your Looking at around $750-$850.

Thanks for shedding light on this to me, guys! I didn't read the fine print... I guess I might as well pay the deposit. I'm still used to the TVRO (big dish) way of doing things, I have much to learn, it seems!

Mark

Welcome to satguys!

I am glad you checked here before you got the equipment and found out it was leased:up

But, just so our new friend is not surprised, he still pays the same for programming. There is no discount for owning equipment for that purpose and if he buys more than one receiver he'll pay the additional receiver monthly fee, which is the same amount as the monthly leased receiver fee, so no savings there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts