buying used voom system any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
weagle said:
hang on here there is got to be a way around this, the real quesiton is I should be asking here is those who deactivated voom and then reactivated DID they have any problems?

I'm thinking if I buy a used voom from someone if they give me their name/address/phone# it would be easy to activate it by using their address and just change the name and add my own credit card on file. I know if someone changes their address right away voom will charge a install fee? This is crazy if you think about it. If voom system is currently active and one happens to say switch the address then call in switch the name/credit card they can't say NO WE WILL NOT ACTIVATE IT AGAIN since it's already activated doesn't say in their policy they can deactivate it if the name/address/phone# changes on their file.

Wow, it's amazing how all of us have failed to convince you that Voom is f-ed up when it come to used STB's.

tell you what, be a groundbreaker. Get Voom to activate the used STB and change the policy..comon you can do it!

I will do it if I get the guy who is selling it on ebay to cooperate, I told the guy hey i'll pay you the $50u.s a year for the u.s mailbox i would normally use but use your address instead.

So basically this is what I am planning ask to reactivate the unit with the same guys name/address/phone# but use someone elses credit card (mine) on file I can pretend I am gay for a day say the credit card (mine) and I live with the guy and is the guys lover and if they say its not possible then just change the name on the bill to mine and voila voom is MINE!! Basically it would pay off to be gay for a day to get voom reactivated haha.. Then after I can call in change the phone# to mine phone# changes are allowed just the address is not allowed changing so long as you don't give voom the impression that the unit is being given to someone else they shouldn't mind activating it again. I think that is what other sat dealers say about directv ie smalldish dot com site says for us to activate your system if you had it activated with someone before is to have the other persons name/address/phone# that is why people are having these problems you got the original guys name/address/phone# those are like the combination lock info to get voom activated again.

Kind of related... If I move, say just across town, and I re-install all my Voom equipment myself, will I be OK? I pay by credit card, so that'll continue...

Sean, Ilya...

Sounds to me like this Weagle guy is treading awfully close to piracy, which is banned in this forum. Someone needs to pull the plug on this one...

I really thing it's one of the regular trolls under an assumed name. Same BS, different alias.

He posted at the Yahoo forums also and AVS about the same thing,I don't know how many answers he can get that says the same thing-IT WON'T WORK IF YOU BUY IT USED,GO TO VOOM AND LEASE IT, IF YOU WANT VOOM MR. WEAGLE.

bruce said:
GO TO VOOM AND LEASE IT, IF YOU WANT VOOM MR. WEAGLE.
As I understand, weagle lives in Canada, so he can't...
...they can't say NO WE WILL NOT ACTIVATE IT AGAIN since it's already activated doesn't say in their policy they can deactivate it if the name/address/phone# changes on their file.
weagle, what you seem to be missing is that unlike D* and E* VOOM doesn't allow self-installs and self-activation. They send technicians to do that. Even if someone moves they send a technician to move the service from one address to another. There might be exceptions, but these are the rules. Sorry...

Hell if he lives in Canada get Bell Express,from what I read its a lot better then D* and E* as far as HD goes.

This is why they don't activate boxes they didn't sell...

Next thing you know some geek will clone one and sell them everywhere. The one thing VOOM has done right is protect their service from theft. Sooner or later that will make them more appealing to content providers.

In my book, that seems like a good thing. :)

(Of course, I'm renting the equipment!)

TechCop said:
Sounds to me like this Weagle guy is treading awfully close to piracy, which is banned in this forum. Someone needs to pull the plug on this one...

I really thing it's one of the regular trolls under an assumed name. Same BS, different alias.

Sure, it's piracy to want to do what every other SAT company does- to activate used equipment. We may not agree with Weagle but to lamely accuse him of breaking the law? If you think that- than I guess the Cop part of Techcop is NOT real...make you are a pirate?

If I really wanted to pirated voom I would not be paying the service nor would i need to call up voom to activate my service, since VOOM has an exceptionally good service for HDviwers out there the price is well worth it. The proper technicality is GREY-MARKET its like no mans land if you ever cross the border of canada and states that is what it feels like pretty much.

But really you are talking silly here if say another american were to buy it never mind canadian would you call him a pirate? Now how would you feel if you bought a $400,000 lamborghini car and have no interest in it anymore or need the money and sell it used and you find out you are not allowed to sell it to anyone or change ownerships what are you going to do with it throw it down the toilet might as well throw your wallet down with it. You own the car why don't you have the right to sell it wouldn't that really stink? It's just an employment of voom to FORCE you to keep your service and not be able to jump ship plain and simple. Rented boxes different story but you don't think voom knows which boxes are rented and which are not but to say a box you purchased you can't sell it is very silly.

I did not accuse him of anything...

Seawaves said:
Sure, it's piracy to want to do what every other SAT company does- to activate used equipment. We may not agree with Weagle but to lamely accuse him of breaking the law? If you think that- than I guess the Cop part of Techcop is NOT real...make you are a pirate?

If you knew anything about pirated satellite reception you'd understand my remarks. Obviously you don't.
Your other remarks don't deserve an answer.

weagle said:
...But really you are talking silly here if say another american were to buy it never mind canadian would you call him a pirate?...

I don't care who you are or where you live, I was referring to attempts to fraudulently obtain services. You are probably pretty insulated from it if you really do live in Canada, but anyone who gets involved on this end ...who knows? (Seawaves, I believe that "Fraudulently obtaining goods or services" is illegal, in almost any state.)

But I don't feel sorry for you (Weagle). You probably knew VOOM would not give you service, that's why you went to EBAY (speculation).

Enjoy your new USA paperweight. :)

TechCop said:
Next thing you know some geek will clone one and sell them everywhere. The one thing VOOM has done right is protect their service from theft. Sooner or later that will make them more appealing to content providers.

In my book, that seems like a good thing. :)

(Of course, I'm renting the equipment!)

Accusations WITHOUT proof- is illegal in every state. It's called to defame.

But you know, the Nazis did get away with it and in S.C., The Klan did too.

Seawaves said:
Accusations WITHOUT proof- is illegal in every state. It's called to defame.

But you know, the Nazis did get away with it and in S.C., The Klan did too.

And FYI, moderators on INTERNET forums will and have edited posts of forum members without permission to shape the facts to better suit their agenda. Remember I did not name any INTERNET forum by name, so no foul here. ;)

Four pages and it is getting ugly...

Conclusion: Currently, VOOM will not activate receivers bought other than themselves or their own retailers. Thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)