Bye bye VOOM!

dclark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Well, I got tired of the bugs and lack of local ota (I can actually see the HDTV antennas from house- too bad voom couldn't get the mapping right)

I called VOOM and told them I wanted to cancel. The CSR asked why. I said "I am tired of the buggy equipment. I was promised that I'd get ota and I assumed it wouldn't be a problems as I was able to pull them in with a borrowed ota set box. Also, since that last software update, picture quality had gone down hill"
He asked if I would be willing to hang on a little more to see if it got better. I said "I am nearing the end of my 30 day money back guarantee period. I don't want to be stuck with a $400 box that doesn't do what it was supposed to do." And, that was the end of that.

dclark,

I don't blame you as you have a good reason not to stay. Check back again and hopefully these issues will be resolved by then.

I think you may have jumped ship a tad early, but you have your reasons and gave them a try.

I sure hope V* realizes how much the lack of the OTA scanning is really hurting them. Until they do get the feature implemented, there should be a procedure where a subscriber makes a simple phone call and within one days time all the OTA channels they request are mapped. Period. No excuses. It took them four weeks to just add one channel for me...and still missed mapping one of them.

I'm more patient I guess.

I sure hope V* realizes how much the lack of the OTA scanning is really hurting them. Until they do get the feature implemented, there should be a procedure where a subscriber makes a simple phone call and within one days time all the OTA channels they request are mapped. Period. No excuses. It took them four weeks to just add one channel for me...and still missed mapping one of them.
Better yet, you should be able to do this over the web.

Ken F said:
Better yet, you should be able to do this over the web.
Better yet, scan!

My DirecTv reciever scans and gets 5 additional OTA digital channels than what are mapped from Voom! :mad:

This is using the exact same OTA antenna.

What would it have taken to keep me? A written promise to extend the money guarantee on my box until locals are mapped in. For me, $400 is a lot of $.
Would I go back to VOOM? Only if locals were there. VOOM just a few hundred dollars from me.

Not being deeply familiar with the VOOM box, I'm having trouble understanding the whole "mapping" issue.
I've had two different HD receivers. On either of them, all I had to do was a simple "Scan" and they just went through the frequency band (either Vhf or Uhf or Both) and found whatever signals were out there. If the sat were somehow involved in OTA, I could understand it, but they're using a regular antenna, so can someone explain what the big deal is?
VOOM is wasting tons of personhours on this issue, and is loosing customers over something that should be pretty simple to do.

Lob

dclark said:
Well, I got tired of the bugs and lack of local ota (I can actually see the HDTV antennas from house- too bad voom couldn't get the mapping right)

I called VOOM and told them I wanted to cancel. The CSR asked why. I said "I am tired of the buggy equipment. I was promised that I'd get ota and I assumed it wouldn't be a problems as I was able to pull them in with a borrowed ota set box. Also, since that last software update, picture quality had gone down hill"
He asked if I would be willing to hang on a little more to see if it got better. I said "I am nearing the end of my 30 day money back guarantee period. I don't want to be stuck with a $400 box that doesn't do what it was supposed to do." And, that was the end of that.
No way Voom should be charging for monthly prog yet!!!!-PQ has gone way down since my instal back in Feb. and the stuttering and pixelation issues, as well as box bugs, have not been fully resolved-charge us when service is watchable-in many cases it is not-I'll be happy to pay when issues have been at least partially resolved, and they have not as of yet-anyone who believes otherwise is simply blinded by their love for a service that provideds so much HD-Let's get going Voom-FIX IT.......AND THEY WILL COME!!!!!!

Lobstah said:
Not being deeply familiar with the VOOM box, I'm having trouble understanding the whole "mapping" issue.
I've had two different HD receivers. On either of them, all I had to do was a simple "Scan" and they just went through the frequency band (either Vhf or Uhf or Both) and found whatever signals were out there. If the sat were somehow involved in OTA, I could understand it, but they're using a regular antenna, so can someone explain what the big deal is?
VOOM is wasting tons of personhours on this issue, and is loosing customers over something that should be pretty simple to do.

Lob
Wilt from Voom as admitted that it was a mistake and that they plan to provide a "scan" capability to the STB.

My only reasonable explanation to this is that their decision makers came from a "cable company" background.

Lobstah said:

Lob

The simple scan feature you are talking about is something we all want and is supposed to be implememted in the next major release of the Voom software for the Motorola DSR-550 (Voom Box). We hope! :yes

As for mapping Voom uses guide data supplied by zap2it and is done by zipcode. So Voom programs in your zipcode and those local channels that appear at zap2it.com should appear in your program guide. If they dont then there is a mapping issue and currently Voom has to fix all theese problems. As soon as scanning becomes available then ALL these mapping problems should dissapear. :yes

Bill

I can understand the mapping having an impact on PG info, but that shouldn't stop you from being able to scan for OTA channels.

Hope they get it straight soon.

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts