Bye

I didn't want even a 12 month commitment, but we got such a good deal, it was worth the chance for us.

Online it says DirecTV's commitment is 18 months, but when I called they said the DVR means a 24 month commitment. So we signed up for the 24 months.

Having to have longer term contract means that Dish Network has been having a hard time keeping many of their customers after their commitment is up otherwise they would not be looking at extending their commitments. It matches the cell phone providers' commitments.

Ah! But that begs the question of why. So unless it's just that most people love the idea of bundled services (cable/ phone/ internet) and/ or the pricing was better elsewhere after the commitment period there's probably one or more issues with Dish that people don't like and want to jump ship at the end of the obligation.

I doubt it's only some frustration with rain fade, though we all know how that goes. Ironically it was rain fade that most influenced my choice to buy Tivo just to have something to watch during a disruption and to make it easier to search for re-airings of shows that were interrupted. And now Tivo doesn't work (or should I say isn't allowed to work) with DBS in HD, which also may be a reason some choose to switch providers.

Looks to me there is a real concern for both DBS companies, given other options available today. I think they're gonna need something more radical than a 2 year commitment clause to draw & retain customers outside of the boonies. So far the 1 advantage they still do have is the ability to provide service to a moving vehicle.

DirecTV is adding channels, also. I think they are fighting tooth and nail to get the most customers. The reason they have the commitments is if they don't customers will call the competition and ask for a better rate. My FIL did this many times to get lower rates and more benefits. Now with a commitment it slows that down considerably. DirecTV hopes to keep customers by having no start up costs and lower monthly fees for more channels. Before they just wanted to get customers, then hope to keep them for a while. Now with the receivers costing so much each time they loose a customer who doesn't return their box, they loose $200 or so probably. There are a ton of such receivers from both DBS companies on ebay.

Sounds like a better argument to avoid DBS entirely and just go to cable.

Cable here does not have the channels we want and it costs a whole lot more than either Dish or DirecTV for fewer than 1/2 of the channels.

The mandated move to DTV will benefit cable and satellite providers as DTV is primarily UHF which is more line of site than VHF. OTA DTV will not be as simple as the DTV commercials imply, especially for rural and mountainous area viewers. I purchased a HDTV and lost two networks though I gained some sub-channels from others, and that is with an amplified UHF antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts