Bypassing Satellite Screen Orby non DVR Receiver

detuch254

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 7, 2021
New Jersey
I recently purchased a $20 Orby TV non DVR simply for the purpose of having a good guide and better converter box than what I currently have. I also greatly like the Orby TV interface and remote as my cousin had it. Unfortunately, I was told by the seller on eBay that I would need a satellite reception to setup the receiver as there were currently 7 FTA channels to receive on the transponder to complete the satellite screen. Sadly, I don’t have an Orby dish or FTA dish that would solve this. Is there a way to use a USB drive to write code and bypass the screen to get to the OTA setup? Thank you!

K thanks! I just need to see if I can purchase an Orby LNB and get it to work with my SL3 DIRECTV satellite dish. I’ll obviously remove all SWM splitters and everything and hopefully it’ll work. If not I’ll just return it as the seller stated that the receiver was able to pick up local channels prior to me purchasing it. It also seems that the SIM card is still in the receiver so there is a good chance that it was activated at one point.

Reactions: Skyscanner
K thanks! I just need to see if I can purchase an Orby LNB and get it to work with my SL3 DIRECTV satellite dish. I’ll obviously remove all SWM splitters and everything and hopefully it’ll work. If not I’ll just return it as the seller stated that the receiver was able to pick up local channels prior to me purchasing it. It also seems that the SIM card is still in the receiver so there is a good chance that it was activated at one point.
You don't NEED an ORBY lnb. ANY standard 10750 ku lnb will work just fine.

Reactions: FTA4PA

Just ordered this one which gets 116.8W. Have any of y’all modded a DIRECTV Hd dish (99,101,103,) for FTA or Orby TV?

Because to make life simpler, I just want to buy an Orby LNB and feed arm off eBay for cheap and swap it. I’m just not completely sure if an Orby TV feed arm would fit a DIRECTV tilt one. If any of y’all know the answer to that, it would be greatly appreciated.

I need everyone’s attention for a sec.. it has just come to my attention that after screwing around with the Orby app still on my iPhone, I was able to get access to the website and be able to create a new account, login to an existing account, or maybe even activate a DVR in some weird way (not sure.) Unfortunately those of you without the Orby app still on your phone are kinda screwed. I’ll have the video out in a minute. My son figured it out and recorded it.

I need everyone’s attention for a sec.. it has just come to my attention that after screwing around with the Orby app still on my iPhone, I was able to get access to the website and be able to create a new account, login to an existing account, or maybe even activate a DVR in some weird way (not sure.) Unfortunately those of you without the Orby app still on your phone are kinda screwed. I’ll have the video out in a minute. My son figured it out and recorded it.
I never used the app to manage my account but I do still have the login page to their website bookmarked (Orby TV) which gives me this warning. :(

OrbyWarning.jpg

Reactions: k.r. and detuch254
I no longer have the spare Orby DVR receiver I purchased on close out to try now that the transponder has some programming on it. I removed the 500GB drive and scrapped the box thinking I got my $30 worth from the HDD alone.

Previously I was stuck at the setup wizard even when the 2 TPs were still active, but the Orby programming had been cut off.

I no longer have the spare Orby DVR receiver I purchased on close out to try now that the transponder has some programming on it. I removed the 500GB drive and scrapped the box thinking I got my $30 worth from the HDD alone.

Previously I was stuck at the setup wizard even when the 2 TPs were still active, but the Orby programming had been cut off.

Nine channels of programing is up on ORBY’s old satellite. And noticed the old ORBY web page was updated. Web domain name expires on 08/25/21 and the old CEO said that ORBY TV will not be resurrected from the dead.
IMG_6743.jpg

Too bad there isn’t any guide info. Is anyone getting guide info for the OTA channels because I heard that it was delivered through satellite, which is probably fake as 2 transponders and guide info do not work LOL

Too bad there isn’t any guide info. Is anyone getting guide info for the OTA channels because I heard that it was delivered through satellite, which is probably fake as 2 transponders and guide info do not work LOL

There are EPG listings for all of my local ITC broadcast channels on my ORBY TV DVR satellite receiver. EPG data, which was previously sent from ORBY TV prior to 03/01/21, lasted for at least two weeks duration. Local EPG is much less duration now, though it is all present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrestrial OTA EPG was not sent via satellite, despite what had been stated on this forum by the Orby representative. The OTA EPG was populated via the terrestrial signal. I didn't challenge his statement at the time as I was just glad that Orby had a representative participating in the forum. Didn't want to alienate him with a know it all hobbyist statement. :eek:

Reactions: Martyn
Terrestrial OTA EPG was not sent via satellite, despite what had been stated on this forum by the Orby representative. The OTA EPG was populated via the terrestrial signal. I didn't challenge his statement at the time as I was just glad that Orby had a representative participating in the forum. Didn't want to alienate him with a know it all hobbyist statement. :eek:
Damn know it alls. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Titanium
Terrestrial OTA EPG was not sent via satellite, despite what had been stated on this forum by the Orby representative. The OTA EPG was populated via the terrestrial signal. I didn't challenge his statement at the time as I was just glad that Orby had a representative participating in the forum. Didn't want to alienate him with a know it all hobbyist
I literally built and operated the Orby TV EPG system. I did the deal for the data. I architected the data playout to get 14 days of data for 8000+ local stations in 2mb/s. So tell me again how wrong I am

My wife and I had four Orbys with our OTA antennas connected to all of them via a Zinwell SAM-3402 3x4 multiswitch. All I can say is when Orby was still in operation we had about two weeks of OTA guide data. Once they ceased operations we still used our Orby receivers for tuning OTA channels for quite a while afterwards and that two weeks of guide data suddenly dropped to only a few days of data, so there must be something to what OrbyTV-ITK is saying... :rolleyes

Last edited:
I've read at Avs forum about people contacting the engineers of their local stations, and getting them to crank out the EPG data to its max 2~ weeks. Apparently, it's just a simple change they can make, but they usually don't bother unless asked.

So, now that it's running completely on OTA data, that's an option people could consider trying.

Hello Mark,

Orby's 2nd tier tech support at the call center had told me that the EPG was propagated by the individual local stations. I had called Orby tech support after you had posted that Orby was uplinking the EPG. Several of the local OTA channels only displayed limited 3-5 day EPG. The tech told me to contact the broadcaster as Orby was not propagating the data. Contacted the broadcasters and one of the stations began populating 10 days. Guess the Orby tech was unaware how their system operated or wanted to get me off the phone. Not the only time they gave incorrect information. Get grease on your shirt from being thrown under the bus? :oops: LOL

Was the user's Orby EPG listings generated from a mixed (or combined) data system? If the Orby stream didn't include the station data, would the listing populate from the local data?

I was one of the subscribers that questioned the guide because it included channels that did not supply any EPG OTA for me locally like WYBN.

My Tivo Roamio was the only other device that did because it downloaded it online rather than PSIP data.

Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts