BYU TV on Satmex 5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

David J

Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
I am fairly inexperienced with satellites and this is my first post.

I am unable to get any signal for BYU TV (12163H) on Satmex 5. I am able to get many channels on other satellites, and also can get other channels on Satmex 5 (the 12080H series of MAC TV, Da-Ai Tv, etc.).

Any ideas on why I can't get the signal for BYU TV.

David J

Current Setup
-30" Dish (I inherited the dish and am not sure of the type, it only has Chinese characters written on it that I cannot read)
-Fanchiou Satellite TV, Ku band digital FLNB
-Traxis DBS 2500 receiver
-SG2100 motor

:welcome

To the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

You may have to do an advanced TP. (Transponder) or PIDS scan, I just entered the transponder details and did a transponder scan on my Traxis DBS 3500 and the BYU channel popped right in!

Football game on right now!

I just scanned it in, if you had scanned it in previously it may have changed name since.

yep. I have a 30" dish in MN and its tough to pick up. Most of the time its right above the threshold

Here in Sacramento area with 36" dish / Invacom QPH-031, no problem!! I'm getting 69% on CoolSat 5k.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-128144.jpg
    vlcsnap-128144.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I know on the BYU site if you're more than 2 states away from Utah they don't even list KU band (only C-Band)

Might see if I can get it on the T90 :)

Thanks for the replies!

It appears that everyone can get the signal (and only Iceberg in MN has a marginal signal) so it must be something with my set up. I am near Salt Lake City, UT and would expect a signal similar to kurtsat's signal in Sacramento (my other Satmex 5 channels are above 60%), but I get no signal at all for BYU TV.

What is an advanced TP (Transponder) or PIDS scan that PSB refers to? I didn't see anything in my Traxis DBS 2500 manual about that.

There should be a way to add and scan a frequency including the pids (Video/Audio/PCR)

Don't have a Traxis 2500 manual in front of me.

David J said:
I am fairly inexperienced with satellites and this is my first post.
I am unable to get any signal for BYU TV (12163H) on Satmex 5. I am able to get many channels on other satellites, and also can get other channels on Satmex 5 (the 12080H series of MAC TV, Da-Ai Tv, etc.).
Any ideas on why I can't get the signal for BYU TV.
David J
Are you saying you can't get the signal, or are you saying you don't get a picture. I know with my Pansat, I don't get any signal for a second or two, give it a chance to capture. Then, I don't get a picture for a few seconds, sometimes it says "scrambled or bad signal", then it will pop-up, and there it is. Maybe you're not giving it a chance? Be patient. Just a guess, that may work?

Al

voomvoom said:
Are you saying you can't get the signal, or are you saying you don't get a picture. I know with my Pansat, I don't get any signal for a second or two, give it a chance to capture. Then, I don't get a picture for a few seconds, sometimes it says "scrambled or bad signal", then it will pop-up, and there it is. Maybe you're not giving it a chance? Be patient. Just a guess, that may work?

Al

I don't get a signal at all. The quality bar reads 0% (which I think means there is no signal). For the other channels on Satmex 5, the quality bar reads above 60%.

Current Setup
-30" Dish (I inherited the dish and am not sure of the type, it only has Chinese characters written on it that I cannot read)
-SG2100 motor

Am I entering the correct numbers for BYU TV on Satmex 5? From Lyngsat I get the following:

Frequency: 12163
Symbol Rate: 3935
Polarization: H

Those are the only numbers I can enter into my Traxis DBS 2500. If I were able to get a signal and scan in the channel, then I would be able to modify the PCR PID, Video PID and Audio PID. But since I don't get a signal, I can't scan in the channel and I can't modify the PIDs.

Current Setup
-SG2100 motor

Frequency: 12163
Symbol Rate: 3935
Polarization: H

Is correct, that's all you need to get the signal.!

VERY low signals tonight only around 58% signal quality here in MN.

I'm in the S.F. Bay Area and mine also came up as "Transport D". I've got signal quality fluctuating in the high 30% on my Fortec Mercury II, but the picture doesn't really come up. My receiver scanned the channel on 12164/H/3937. Oh well, I guess.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts