C and KU on a bud?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Do like you and radio said just keep searching for a used one. Try expanding your search. Take a weekend and drive around in the country, places you don't go much. Knock on some doors.

Reactions: BigRyan
I see, well what about using 2 6' dishes to combine the signal to one receiver? Would it be possible to have say an "array" of dishes kind of like a miniature VLA (very large array) like the radio telescope array in New Mexico on a much smaller scale of course?
There was talk of it in this thread using external sync reference lnbs and a frequency generator but appeared to be very expensive vs just getting a larger dish. :rolleyes:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3517808/

So to bring things back on topic, I have another question concerning the combo LNBF. When I am tuned to a Ku band transponder isn't that basically the same as only having a Ku band dish? I mean physically there is only 1 (combo) LNBF and a 2 port Diseqc switch. I guess to me it seems like the center obstruction is just 1 LNBF. even though there is 2 inside of it.

So to bring things back on topic, I have another question concerning the combo LNBF. When I am tuned to a Ku band transponder isn't that basically the same as only having a Ku band dish? I mean physically there is only 1 (combo) LNBF and a 2 port Diseqc switch. I guess to me it seems like the center obstruction is just 1 LNBF. even though there is 2 inside of it.
Several months ago I took apart my BSC621 combo LNBF to see how it works. As you would expect, the KU portion is behind the C-Band probes. Its like they took a KU LNBF and bolted it to the back of a C-Band LNBF. So the KU signal has to go past the 2 C-Band probes (which causes some loss), Also its several inches farther than normal from the focal point.

My experience with the BSC621 was frustrating and I gave up trying to use it. I could position it at the best distance for C-Band, or a slightly different one for KU. But I never found the best distance for both at the same time. Others have reported better results.

For me, the best setup is having dedicated C-Band and KU-Band LNBFs mounted side by side. I had to cut away a portion of the C-Band scalar ring so there would be room for the KU LNB.

Anyway, like KE4EST and 'radio' have said above, I think if you remain persistent with Craigslist and keep an eye out for abandoned dishes you will eventually have a solid 8-10' BUD in your yard.
It has excellent surface accuracy so it should perform very well for KU.

EDIT: Here's a BirdView Perforated dish for cheap if you are willing to drive to Phoenix: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mat/5737801030.html It has excellent surface accuracy so it should perform very well for KU.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr3p
So the KU signal has to go past the 2 C-Band probes... Here's a BirdView Perforated dish for cheap if you are willing to drive to Phoenix: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mat/5737801030.html It has excellent surface accuracy so it should perform very well for KU.

Now the combo LNBF problem makes since to me, thanks for clearing that up.

Man I hope someone gets that dish that will use it correctly before it becomes some failed attempted bird bath in the desert creation.

Reactions: bigg t
Now the combo LNBF problem makes since to me, thanks for clearing that up.

Man I hope someone gets that dish that will use it correctly before it becomes some failed attempted bird bath in the desert creation.
Me too. Can you imagine a dish originally costing 2-3K being used as a Bird Bath? :facepalm

B.R.......As others have probably said, keep perusing Craigslist and other similar sites. There's still plenty of idle C-band dishes in the upper MIdwest, I can't imagine not having them in most semi-rural areas....I have a realtor friend who is always making sure if a house has a "BUD" that I'm contacted if the seller or buyer doesn't want it Perhaps you can let local realtors know of your interest and ability to give large dshes a new home. I may not use it myself, but friends who have watched my dish farm grow are intrigued and some have started FTA...mainly for the quality of picture on networks, and the fact it's NO ongoing fees... BTW, I've had decent C/Ku with combination LNB's but the tweaking for first setup takes patience....and the more elusive ku signals really need dedicated dish, but..you CAN enjoy ku from an 8 foot solid, easily.
I am getting pretty decent KU reception from my Perfect 10 mesh and Corotor II. So far anyway,.Would really love a solid for KU only though, atleast that 6 foot offset I'm getting. Need a motor that'd move it though...

Anyone had experience with a K2 Corotor?

Fingers crossed, I have emailed the local high school about an eight foot dish that was once used for the "Channel One" service back in the day, he is checking into it for me. I hope I can get that mug!

Fingers crossed, I have emailed the local high school about an eight foot dish that was once used for the "Channel One" service back in the day, he is checking into it for me. I hope I can get that mug!
It is roof mounted? Hopefully if so it is on a non-pen mount.
The school here has one, I looked at it and passed. It is mounted to the roof. Someone at one time actually bolted it to the roof and it has since been tared over.
I thought about just taking the dish and leaving the mount, but was afraid if they had a leak, they would blame me, even if I didn't cause it.
So just be careful if you are every in a situation like that.

It is roof mounted? Hopefully if so it is on a non-pen mount.
The school here has one, I looked at it and passed. It is mounted to the roof. Someone at one time actually bolted it to the roof and it has since been tared over.
I thought about just taking the dish and leaving the mount, but was afraid if they had a leak, they would blame me, even if I didn't cause it.
So just be careful if you are every in a situation like that.

This one is out back on a concrete pad with a chain link fence around it, I'll have to swing by and snap a picture of it. Looking at it on google maps it looks bigger than 8 foot. I guess it could be a ten footer. I'm sure someone on here will know what brand and all. Certainly be a nice dish to have, and its a solid dish too, I bet it would be killer on KU band. Not sure what is with google maps lately.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: KE4EST
Ok, guys here is the dish I'm trying to get them to "donate" to me. Any one know what this mug is? All I know is I NEED IT!
IMAG4469.jpg IMAG4470.jpg

Reactions: FTA4PA
For me, the best setup is having dedicated C-Band and KU-Band LNBFs mounted side by side. I had to cut away a portion of the C-Band scalar ring so there would be room for the KU

I prefer a separate Ku dish but the above was my experience as well.

I prefer a separate Ku dish but the above was my experience as well.
I'm thinking when I get a bigger solid dish for C-Band that I will use the six footer for KU band only, Is there are certain KU LNBF you prefer for a prime focus dish?

Lots of Ku lnb options. I'm currently using Geosat PLLs. You can try using your 6ft dish for Ku but you would probably be better served by getting a 1.2M or 1M offsest as others have mentioned.

Lots of Ku lnb options. I'm currently using Geosat PLLs. You can try using your 6ft dish for Ku but you would probably be better served by getting a 1.2M or 1M offsest as others have mentioned.
Yeah, I just want to keep getting some use out of it. Most transponders are around 70% with the combo on there now. I thought it might be better if the KU wasnt going through the C-Band LNBF. Could always just fix it to 127w for NASA TV. Would be nice to always be able to go to that channel immediately.

I played around with combo C/Ku lnb from WSI a while back and was never thrilled with the signal. Using the 6ft as fixed sounds good and you might be able to add more than one lnb depending upon your goals

I played around with combo C/Ku lnb from WSI a while back and was never thrilled with the signal. Using the 6ft as fixed sounds good and you might be able to add more than one lnb depending upon your goals
Good to know you were not thrilled because I don't have anything to compare it too so maybe I could get some more signal out of this thing with a better LNBf. I will have to look into that.

I originally aligned my 10' BUD with a Dual Band LNBF. I was surprised as to how strong the majority of the Ku transponders were. However, as others have commented, my BUD was just too rickety and my acutuator too worn to enjoy them. Allot of under/over shoot on the vbox positions due to wear. And if there was enough wind to push the BUD around, the signal was in and out too much to enjoy. I've survived on a 90cm offset dish for Ku. However, I've always had my eyes on a 1.2M offset dish. A 1.2M offset dish would be the way to go IMHO :thumbup

Status
Please reply by conversation.