C-band and Fiberglass covering questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottc98

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
Ok....bear with me on this but I've been trying to find a way to get a C-band dish installed at the house that won't be such an eyesore in my backyard.
I've been working in the backyard a lot recently and need to do a lot of landscaping back there. Plan on installing a fence, setting up a veg garden, deck extention and possibly a small pond with a waterfall.

All this brings me to this question: What can I do to hide a 6 foot dish in my backyard? I've got a corner of the yard that has a view roughly of 115w to 140w. I've seen the "Umbrella" dish but it won't work where I need the dish to be.

I've been told that fiberglass covering doesn't block sat signals (at least for KU). Is this true? and will the same effect work for C-band?

The other question is what part of the dish needs to be unblocked for the reflection of the signal to work (top half ?).

Since I have so much that I want to do with the backyard, I am trying to brainstorm now to fit a dish into the picture. If I can do it nice or hide it, I know that I can get the wife's approval.

So...any ideas? :)

I used a plastic cover over my C-Band dish LNBF, the signal quality dropped about 5 points on the meter. Not a big issue with C-Band as rain is not really an issue, but dropping 5 points with KU signals can mean trouble in the rain. The water collects on the plastic and seems to fragment the KU signals.

With a C-Band dish the whole dish points at the satellite (prime focus), also concider paining the dish the same color as the background, or nearby follage.

http://www.silvertv.co.uk/aerial/discrete_satellite_dish.htm

http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/paintingdishes.html

Attachments

• Pict0032.JPG
    Pict0032.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 175
Forgot to add many truckers often have domed satellite antennas (Some in motion with a TV on the dash!!!) on top of their cabs, the satellite signal comes right through the fiberglass wind break on the roof, again they can expect around a loss of around 5-10 points on the signal (DBS) meter as the signal has to go through the dome and the fiberglass.

Last edited:
The area I have to place the dish is pretty bare, so the follage idea would take some time to grow. If the entire dish needs a clear line of sight, then thats at least a 6 foot radius i'll need to expose.

From one of your links, there was a DBS dish installed inside, getting signal from a fiberglass skylight.

Would that same type of idea work for C-band?

Not saying I am going to put it in my attic and create a extremely large skylight,
but more or less looking at enclosing it in a fiberglass structure outside.

PSB said:
Forgot to add many truckers often have domed satellite antennas (Some in motion with a TV on the dash!!!) on top of their cabs, the satellite signal comes right through the fiberglass wind break on the roof, again they can expect around a loss of around 5-10 points on the signal (DBS) meter as the signal has to go through the dome and the fiberglass.

I've seen those dishes. Very cool!!

"I've seen those dishes. Very cool!!"

True but these guys in GIANT rigs are watching satellite TV as they drive down the road :)

"Not saying I am going to put it in my attic and create a extremely large skylight,
but more or less looking at enclosing it in a fiberglass structure outside."

Sounds like a Radome :)

http://www.mfgratech.com/prod/prod_radome.html

Camo net ?

wyr

scottc98 said:
Ok....bear with me on this but I've been trying to find a way to get a C-band dish installed at the house that won't be such an eyesore in my backyard.
I've been working in the backyard a lot recently and need to do a lot of landscaping back there. Plan on installing a fence, setting up a veg garden, deck extention and possibly a small pond with a waterfall.

All this brings me to this question: What can I do to hide a 6 foot dish in my backyard? I've got a corner of the yard that has a view roughly of 115w to 140w. I've seen the "Umbrella" dish but it won't work where I need the dish to be.

I've been told that fiberglass covering doesn't block sat signals (at least for KU). Is this true? and will the same effect work for C-band?

The other question is what part of the dish needs to be unblocked for the reflection of the signal to work (top half ?).

Since I have so much that I want to do with the backyard, I am trying to brainstorm now to fit a dish into the picture. If I can do it nice or hide it, I know that I can get the wife's approval.

"Not saying I am going to put it in my attic and create a extremely large skylight,
but more or less looking at enclosing it in a fiberglass structure outside."

Sounds like a Radome :)

http://www.mfgratech.com/prod/prod_radome.html[/QUOTE]

looks like a bigger eyesore that the dish by itself :)

What about a large plexiglass rock formation that I could cover the dish with and use it for my waterfall/pond?

I take it that as long as the water flow down the front of the dish that I'd be ok?

scottc98 said:

All this brings me to this question: What can I do to hide a 6 foot dish in my backyard?

If I can do it nice or hide it, I know that I can get the wife's approval.

I really like the painting scheme, so many dishes go un-noticed when they are somewhat camouflaged in their enviroment.

That is unless you own a dish yourself , just like your car or truck , you drive everyday and you can always spot your own vehicle when driving.

When I drive, I always look at dishes on Bars, Restaurants, buisnesses, homes, and when I walk down streets or alleys ( city development ) , I see dishes just about every location, the ones that get me are the fixed dishes sitting on the floor or on a short post in a bucket of cement.

Build a big "Green House" over it and tell people you have taken up gardening? Use the cheap frosted fiberglass panels and some 2X2's and 2X4's to build it with.

BryanSR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)