C band Back in the day

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wonder if anyone has any tapes of the Skyvision show... or The Satellite Wizard Show.

I have been bugging Paul at skyvision for over a year to get copy's of the old Skyvison show's.

Would love to see those.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

how about some of those Ice LNB commercials from that dealer back in the 90's.. cant think of the name right now.

ok it came back to me.. Satellite city hehe. Gary was his name with that annoying voice selling SUPER ICE LNB rated at 15db when in fact was a re badged Chinese LNB rated at 45 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Y'all should upload all of those old recordings to YouTube.

Here we have The Weather Channel in VC2 Analog:

and here we have the 4DTV Guide Listings:

and here we have the HITS2HOME (SRL/Skyvision) 4DTV Listings:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in my teens when we moved to the cband dish from cable (middle of the 1990's) in our old subdivision you saw no cband dishes. I really thought it was cool for the wild feeds and the sporting events watching them BS during games when it was a commerical or intermission .When I drove by my parents old house I wondered how they took it down it was a bit up the air on a straight poll

Picking channels on what we wanted was a nice thing to be able to do back then ordering for Turnervison and stuff like that :)

Last edited:
I use to like tuning to the scrambled channels and listen to the audio of them trying to sell me that channel.

I don't know why but having them trying to sell me Showtime on my C Band dish was cool to me. :)

You guys will remember Keith Lamonica and his FM America. I still have some casette tapes of his shows somewhere. Must try to dig them out. Oh, how I miss those days!
Wonder if he's still around.

Not very professional she keeps looking down at the script.

I still have 5 fully operational beta machines. 3 Sony, 2 Sanyo. Still play the old stuff from vH! when Imus was the spaced out VJ! He used to refer to Michael Jackson as "Icky little Michael" and Sade as "the brown grape"! lol
At least your home movies aren't on Beta!

In 1992, I got 3 months behind in my cable bill. I was paying like $27.00/month. When I finally got a job, I began making payments of $20.00/week to get caught up.
I thought I was finally all caught up one Friday but learned the new bill had come out. I paid $25.00 that Friday with a balance of something like $14.00 in which I had promised to pay the following Friday. When I got home that day, I had cable but just before 5:00, I lost my cable service. When I called the cable company on the following Monday afternoon, they explained they shut me off because I owed them about $14.00 and there was going to be a $20.00 reconnect fee to get it back on. After a heated argument, I told them to come get their cable box because they would never get that $14.00. They told me they would come by a week from Thursday.

I hung up the phone and ripped the cable out of the back of the TV, pulling the TV jack with it. I opened the front door and spun the cable box about 6 times in a big circle and flung it out to the street. Then I called them back and told them to come and get it tonight because it was laying in the road. An hour later, someone stopped out in front of my house in the dark and in the rain and picked it up. I never heard from them again. That's when I called a company out of Popular Science magazine and ordered my C-Band dish as a kit for $2300.00. I had no idea what I had gotten myself in to but with a lot of pain staking head scratching boo boos, I finally got it put together and working. The first thing I saw was a news feed and that made my heart race with excitement. That was one of the coolest moments I can remember. I got even more excited as I tuned more and more stuff in. It's funny that after all the headaches and trial and errors, everything just suddenly fell into place and made sense.

I have had nothing but the big dish since until just before Christmas when we purchased a Roku. Now I have C-band, H2H, FTA, OTA, PS3 and Roku

how about some of those Ice LNB commercials from that dealer back in the 90's.. cant think of the name right now.

ok it came back to me.. Satellite city hehe. Gary was his name with that annoying voice selling SUPER ICE LNB rated at 15db when in fact was a re badged Chinese LNB rated at 45 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Gary Kubetta was that guys name. They also had a "King Viper" receiver that changed every year, I.E. King Viper 93, 94, etc... It was really a STS receiver rebadged with a huge price tag. It had "over 1000 new features." LOL

I still remember when I first got setup with my BUD. I had looked at one of those G5 systems. They would install it for $2500. These were the good ole "door to door" guys. I almost fell for it too. Heck, I didn't know anything about satellite TV at the time.

Then I went to Rat Shack to see what they had. They had a complete 9' perf H-H system for $1,999 which was $500 less than the shyster system I almost bought. Plus, this thing could see more than one satellite, lol. The only catch was, I had to install it myself (or pay another $600).

Considering it was 1992, $600 was a lot of money after taxes. So I decided to install it myself.

Now a little back story... at this point in time, it had been 5 years since I had seen an OSU football game on my own TV in my own home. Living in the sticks without sat TV meant watching whatever you could get with an OTA antenna. So I was constantly having to go to other people's houses to watch the game. This was my number one reason for wanting sat TV.

The first weekend that I had it up and working, I knew very little about searching for wildfeeds. In fact, that first weekend, I didn't even have the right cable yet. I was using a make-shift cable rig that was routed through a window, lol.

I had stumbled onto a football game (not OSU), and was watching it. I remember how amazed I was at the picQ. When that game was over, I just started surfing. Then I couldn't believe what I came across... the OSU/OU (Bedlam) game. The game was on PPV cable in Norman Okla, and they were using C-Band to get it there (the game was being played in Stillwater).

Well I called my brother-in-law, who is as big of an OU fan as I am an OSU fan. He came over and we watched the rest of the game together. I'll never forget how awsome it felt to have a PPV Bedlam game on my TV, in my own house (and for free at that), because of this big thing I put in the yard.

And that's how I always remember when I put up my dish. There's a website that I have bookmarked that will show you any NCAA historical football score and the date it was played. In this game, OU kicked a FG on the last play of the game... which ended in a 15-15 tie... on Nov. 14th, 1992.

I've never been sorry once for putting up that dish... which still stands today.

Cheers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)