C-band / Big Dish Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phpinfo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
USA
I have a President VideoCipher RS receiver and a big mesh dish. I haven't subscribed to anything in years and it has just been sitting.

Everything is still hooked up and the dish still moves. Currently I can't tune into a satellite anywhere. I think there might be an issue with the LNB or wiring.

But my question is, what can you do with these now? Is there still programming? Are there free channels or public broadcasts on them?

Is my current receiver good enough to start troubleshooting and get this thing working again?

Also can I tap into ku-band as well and what is he difference between cband and kuband programming now? Thanks

Since your dish and actuator are still in operating condition, you can definitely still use them with a digital DVB receiver.

You will need:

DVB Receiver (i.e. Fortec Dynamic receiver)
Motor controller (GBox V3000)

There are ton of free to air C-band and KU band channels. WHat type of LNBs you have?

Since your dish and actuator are still in operating condition, you can definitely still use them with a digital DVB receiver.

You will need:

DVB Receiver (i.e. Fortec Dynamic receiver)
Motor controller (GBox V3000)

There are ton of free to air C-band and KU band channels. WHat type of LNBs you have?

Thanks for the response. - You know I am not sure what LNB I have. It has been so long, I will have to take a look.

Are there many c-band, ku-band or 4dtv subscription channels left? Is 4dtv worth looking into?

Can you setup so that you get Mpeg2 FTA and HD Mpeg4 FTA?

Also are c and ku the only bands you can pick up with a big dish, or are there other FTA or subscription broadcasts?

Thanks very much.

Great stuff. I think to start I will just look to get an FTA DVB receiver.

Is it worth it to get an HD FTA receiver? - I guess my President VideoCipher 2 RS is worthless now, or at least will be after February. So I might start with FTA and look into 4dtv later. I already have Dish.

Also, what LNB do I need. - Right now I have a:
California Amplifier
Mini-Mag LNB
No. 140011
950-1450 Mhz
Gain 65 db Typical
Noise 25k

And there is only 1 coax hookup and one run into the house. Do I need two runs to get both Ku and C?

So it looks like I need:

New LNB??
DVB FTA Receiver
Motor Controller like a Gbox v3000??
Another run of coax??

You need something to control polarity on the Feedhorn, most modern FTA receivers can not.
You could change the Feedhorn to something like the BSC621 or GeoSatPro CK-1.

Great stuff. I think to start I will just look to get an FTA DVB receiver.

Is it worth it to get an HD FTA receiver? - I guess my President VideoCipher 2 RS is worthless now, or at least will be after February. So I might start with FTA and look into 4dtv later. I already have Dish.

Also, what LNB do I need. - Right now I have a:
California Amplifier
Mini-Mag LNB
No. 140011
950-1450 Mhz
Gain 65 db Typical
Noise 25k

And there is only 1 coax hookup and one run into the house. Do I need two runs to get both Ku and C?

So it looks like I need:

New LNB??
DVB FTA Receiver
Motor Controller like a Gbox v3000??
Another run of coax??

Okay so here is what I have:

>> New LNBF - BSC621-2 c/ku band - only one run of cable to house for both. Switch between c/ku on receiver??
>> FTA DVB receiver - Maybe Viewsat or Traxis FTA Satellite Receivers
>> Do I need a motor controller like Gbox v3000??

The switch is built-in.
The BSC621-2 is a Universal Ku, DiSEqC switch
The BSC621-2 is a Standard Ku, 22KHz switch

>> Okay so the BSC621-2

>> Then a good DVB FTA receiver. I found this one. It has blind search Coolsat 6000 PREMIUM FTA DVB Satellite Receiver 5000 CH - eBay (item 230229477639 end time Dec-30-08 16:49:36 PST)

>> And the Gbox to move the dish, and I should be all set correct?

Are there any DVB receivers with a built in Gbox? - Also, I could just use my old President receiver in place of a Gbox to move the dish couldn't I?

I could just use my old President receiver in place of a Gbox to move the dish couldn't I?
Yes. That's where I would start, slave an FTA receiver to your Analog Receiver.
Then add toys on as you go.

Yes. That's where I would start, slave an FTA receiver to your Analog Receiver.
Then add toys on as you go.

Cool. Will start here then.

Is it worth getting an HD FTA receiver? Are there many FTA HD channels? Or should I just start out with something like the Coolsat 6000? Thanks

Attachments

• satpic.jpg
    satpic.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 199
Switches do not work that way. There is a Thread here somewhere with sample switch configs.
If you are not using a 4DTV, then the Analog does not even need to be connected to the BSC621, just not much analog left, it would just control the Dish and Polarity.

Switches do not work that way. There is a Thread here somewhere with sample switch configs.
If you are not using a 4DTV, then the Analog does not even need to be connected to the BSC621, just not much analog left, it would just control the Dish and Polarity.

Okay, thank you. - I will just leave the actuator wiring hooked up to the Analog receiver and use it to move the dish.

Then I will just run the coax straight to the new FTA DVB receiver. Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts