C Band dish decisions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
Hi and Happy New Year to you all.
Since I got the ASC 1 controller last week I got decisions to make.
It not easy so I'm turning to you guys for opinions and advices.
I want to use a dish for both C/Ku bands and be using my AZBox Ultra box for my C and Ku channels. I may upgrade to a newer FTA receiver. I'll use the ASC 1 for moving the dish.
I'm retiring my 4DTV 922. Nothing wrong with it. I don't subscribe to anything since we are on DishNet.
I have a Odum 8 ft solid dish that I have since 1986. Great dish. And I also have a 7.5 ft mesh dish that the 4DTV and AZBox is on now.
I also got a 10 ft mesh dish that has yet to be assembled.
I'm leaning on using the Odum dish since it is set for the satellite arc but it will have to be moved to the pole that the 7.5 ft mesh dish is on.
If I go to the 10 ft mesh dish I would have to assemble it and set up for the arc.
Question is: would my Odum dish do as well as the 10 ft mesh dish?
I'm racking my brain on this.

if my memory serves the odom is fiberglass right? if it's solid steel or aluminum or a perforated maybe an 8 foot will perform like a 10 foot mesh. if not solid steel i'd go with the 10' mesh. generally in fta a bigger dish is better. plus the lighter mesh dishes are significantly lighter when physical relocation is concerned.

if my memory serves the odom is fiberglass right? if it's solid steel or aluminum or a perforated maybe an 8 foot will perform like a 10 foot mesh. if not solid steel i'd go with the 10' mesh. generally in fta a bigger dish is better. plus the lighter mesh dishes are significantly lighter when physical relocation is concerned.
Yes it is fiberglass. I had it on my 4DTV for a while and did great. Right now it is on the other pole on the other end of my house. I had plans to have FTA in my living room but my wife throws a fit. She got DishNet. So at this point I got FTA in our bedroom. The 7.5 ft mesh dish is hooked up to this one.

Any chance to put up two dishes? I'd go C only on the 10ft. and Prime focus Ku lnb on the 7.5 or 8ft. dish.
A C/Ku combo will work fine on C band, but the Ku will be compromised. On the other side of the fence is the fact that 7.5 ft is already installed and aligned. You can try a C/Ku combo for a while, see what it can do. You have plenty of choices to try in the future.

Reactions: Titanium
Any chance to put up two dishes? I'd go C only on the 10ft. and Prime focus Ku lnb on the 7.5 or 8ft. dish.
A C/Ku combo will work fine on C band, but the Ku will be compromised. On the other side of the fence is the fact that 7.5 ft is already installed and aligned. You can try a C/Ku combo for a while, see what it can do. You have plenty of choices to try in the future.
One dish 8 ft (Odum) is on north end of my house, close to the living room. I have (or, had ) plans to use it in living room. My wife ain't too thrill about that. The 7.5 mesh dish is on south end of my house. That will be for my bedroom setup. That's where I will use the ASC1 controller. I have a C/Ku lnbf on it. It works ok. I haven't finished setting the satellite arc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)