C-band elevation question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smikolaj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Southern NH
Hi, I recently had luck with a KU band dish. I live in southern NH and was wondering what elevation a 6' C-band dish would have to be at - I was thinking the same as the KU dish since they might be looking at some of the same satellites. The thing is that the KU dish is about 19 degrees for G10R which almost looks like it is pointing down a little bit. I am trying to see if there is anywhere in my back yard where I can hide a C-band dish and still get some sort of reception - it most likely will be fixed, just not sure on which satellite yet.

Is that 6' dish from sadoun decent?

----
I looked up and g16 at 99w is most likely where it would be fixed at. I see there are networks there but are there and decent feeds there?

Last edited:
most C-band dishes are prime focus and would be at a higher elevation (most ku's ate offset fed), Unfortunately I dont know the degree of offset. I have not tried the Sadoun 6 footer yet but I am thinking of getting one myself. Sadoun has a calculator for the ku dishes on their web site so you might look to see if they have one for prime focus dishes.

The elevation is the same, it just appears different due to the offset vs. prime-focus dish. I think g10r is around 23 degrees elevation for me, and I know what you mean about the dish looking like it's almost pointing downward. I have a ku dish dedicated to this sat. My cband dish pointed at the same sat looks like it's pointing much higher in the sky, but that's just because it's prime-focus. If you can get g10r with ku, you should be able to get it from the same spot with c-band.

I can't really speak to the quality of the Sadoun 6ft dish, but I think Iceberg has one.

Mike

Last edited:
I have the Fortec 6 footer and love it. It is mainly fixed at G4/G16 for the nets but I do move it between G11-AnikF1. If you have an analog box, there are wild feeds out there early morning. The syndicated shows are beamed up early in the morning for the affiliates to take, insert their own commercials and show whenever.

The dish does look at a higher angle than a smaller KU dish which is offset. Here is a few photos of the difference

The C-Band is at 38 degrees (G4)
The 36” KU is at 30 degrees (G10)

Attachments

• 000_0076.jpg
    000_0076.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 000_0083.jpg
    000_0083.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 190
For the price, this 6' footer dish is a very good value and has decent performance. We have had very good feedback from customers about it, so I can highly recommend it for a startup C-Band dish.

The nice thing about this dish is that it is easy to assemble and setup. It is also portable if you decide you want to move it arround. Also, it is upgradeble to add a polar mount and an actuator if you decide you want to motorize it.

This dish comes with a ground mount for stationary installation.

The nice thing about this dish is that it is easy to assemble and setup. It is also portable if you decide you want to move it arround.
I can attest to that. I moved it from the deck (north side of house) to in front of garage (south side) for a few western satellites. Undid the 3 bolts that hold the frame to the dish, remove the arms and move it in a coupe pieces. Much easier than trying to move a bulky frame & dish at once

Exactly, that is the way to do it. One time we ran out of stock on this dish. A customer came in to our store and wanted one immediately. He both the demo unit we had outside the warehouse and it took less than 5 minutes to take it apart and load it on his truck. We didn't want him to go empty handed. He was a happy customer :D

Nice pics

Iceberg - Thanks for the pics - helps me out a lot now that I can see the difference in angles. you must have a decent sized deck because the 6' dish doesn't look 6' in those pics.

Now I can see about where to place it. Apparently this hobby is a little habit forming! I'll just keep telling myself to wait for spring...

I like the other dish you have with all of those lnb's. Would a motor have been easier? or do you have more than one receiver hooked up to it?

Is there a decent entry level receiver for C band? I'll have to do my research since I don't know what I would need yet, it took me a few months of hanging around here and reading the posts before I picked up the Ku system.

Sadoun - is shipping expensive on those dishes? it would be shipping to 03054.

Thanks.

Iceberg - Thanks for the pics - helps me out a lot now that I can see the difference in angles. you must have a decent sized deck because the 6' dish doesn't look 6' in those pics.
Not really. The deck is maybe 12 feet out and 20-25 feet long. In the 2nd pic, I was almost in the corner of the deck by the house. The table is to clear the roof line :)

Now I can see about where to place it. Apparently this hobby is a little habit forming! I'll just keep telling myself to wait for spring...
Join the club :D

I like the other dish you have with all of those lnb's. Would a motor have been easier? or do you have more than one receiver hooked up to it?
Have a motorized on the roof. This one was mainly (originally) to combine my StarChoice subscription and Dish Net sub together and add a “couple” LNB’s for FTA. Now we’ve got 14 LNB’s on it :D I do run 3 FTA boxes, my Dish subscription and a StarChoice subscription via that dish.

Is there a decent entry level receiver for C band? I'll have to do my research since I don't know what I would need yet, it took me a few months of hanging around here and reading the posts before I picked up the Ku system.
Any existing FTA box will do C-Band too.
Sadoun - is shipping expensive on those dishes? it would be shipping to 03054.
No its not. It cost me like under 40 bucks to ship to Minnesota. The dish is in pieces so its very cmpact when they ship it. Cost me about the same to ship a 36” dish

So, my Traxis 3500 will handle C band then? So all I need is a LNB for C band and the dish and I can be up and running?

Do they make an A/B switch to switch between the Ku/C band feeds for input to the receiver?

So, my Traxis 3500 will handle C band then? So all I need is a LNB for C band and the dish and I can be up and running?
Correct. If you scroll through the satellite list there should be satellites in there that are C-Band (AMC7, AMC8, Galaxy 5, etc). These have a LNB LO of 5150

Do they make an A/B switch to switch between the Ku/C band feeds for input to the receiver?
Diseqc switch will work. It’s an “automatic” A/B switch that you can switch between the two. You set it up in the receiver menu for “diseqc 1” for KU and “2” for C-Band as an example

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Switches/DiSEqC-Switches.htm

Otherwise the 22k will work too as long as the KU LNB you have is NOT a Universal LNB. Those have a 22k built in so that won’t work. You’d need the Diseqc in this

For the price, this 6' footer dish is a very good value and has decent performance. We have had very good feedback from customers about it, so I can highly recommend it for a startup C-Band dish.

The nice thing about this dish is that it is easy to assemble and setup. It is also portable if you decide you want to move it arround. Also, it is upgradeble to add a polar mount and an actuator if you decide you want to motorize it.

This dish comes with a ground mount for stationary installation.

Can you send me a link to the polar mount and actuator arm from your site?

So, from the web site all I would need is the 6' dish, bsc621c c/Ku lnbf, and the s-dc41c switch ( to go between this dish and my other fixed dish )? would I also need a collar mounting ring? or does the lnb kit come with that?

With that combo LNB I should be able to receive both the Ku and C band from G16? Looks like that is a decent satellite.

Thanks.

not much on KU for G16 unless you have a 4DTV reciever. Most of the KU stuff there is Digicipher II (whereas our boxes are DVB)

So, from the web site all I would need is the 6' dish, bsc621c c/Ku lnbf, and the s-dc41c switch ( to go between this dish and my other fixed dish )? would I also need a collar mounting ring? or does the lnb kit come with that?
Looks like the scaler rings come with it and that would attach to the arms on the dish and the LNBF slips right into it.

The Diseqc switch would work fine to combine your existing dish setup and this one

Wow, I was totally unaware that Sadoun sold dish movers! I could have sworn I looked all over that site when I was looking for one....dang. I will keep that in mind, tho! I kinda thought you were a ku/little dish store....

They just started selling them kind of recently, I'm surprized they haven't gotten the polar mounts yet. I thought they had them coming, and that was why they started selling the Actuators. But now I see they're waiting for more people to show interest. I'm still waiting for the Conical Scaler Ring that's shown on there site. It's been saying "Coming Soon" for a while now.
And they've had the V-Box II for quite awhile now, it's a positioner for an actuator.

Al

They just started selling them kind of recently, I'm surprized they haven't gotten the polar mounts yet. I thought they had them coming, and that was why they started selling the Actuators. But now I see they're waiting for more people to show interest. I'm still waiting for the Conical Scaler Ring that's shown on there site. It's been saying "Coming Soon" for a while now.
And they've had the V-Box II for quite awhile now, it's a positioner for an actuator.

Al

I'm surprised too. They've got all the other pieces to the puzzle: dish, actuator, receivers, and v-box. I'd think offering the polar mount would boost sales of all the other equipment too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)