C band motor output question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boomer_106

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Guys, I have a uniden supra. I recently got an actuator error. I unhooked the dish and took my multimeter and measured the output voltage while holding down the respective east or west buttons. It goes to about 35.2 volts for a second then drops out.

Is this the way it's supposed to operate with no load attached?

I don't know if it's designed to shut down because it doesn't see a pulse from the dish or, if I have a receiver issue. If anyone has a supra and can confirm, I'd appreciate it. Maybe all C band receivers work like this??:confused:

Yep, it's designed to shut down because it doesn't see a pulse. (all movers are or at least should be) Voltage is OK. You can 'simulate' pulses with a short piece of wire.

See if the actuator moves using just a 12-24 volt battery (portable drill types is what I use) If it moves, put an ohmmeter across the pulse wires. (an analog 'needle' type works best) The meters needle will swing back and forth in a regular fashion if the sensor is OK.
alternately, wire a light bulb of appropriate voltage inline with the sensor and battery. Will 'flash' regularly.

Hey Fat air, thanks for the detailed response. I thought that is how it was supposed to be but, I wanted confirmation.

I do have an analog meter as well as my digital. Could you elaborate on exactly how to simulate pulses with a piece of wire?

I'm thinking you mean jumper across at the back of the receiver but, I want to be sure.

Last edited:
Make and break connection of the movers sensor terminals. Thus emulating the reed switch. I'd just use clip leads, and tap them together. 2 - 3 times(minimum) per second or so. Skip a few or more and the voltage will be cut off.
One could also check for a short across the movers motor terminals when not energized. That's the motors brake. (prevents over-shooting)

Oh, I got ya. That makes perfect sense when you think about it. Thanks again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.