C band on 39" dish??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

quasimodem

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Marlow, New Hampshire
I just read, on another site, where some one mounted a C band lnbf to a 39" hotdish. now, I realise, if this actually works, reception would certainly be limited, but is this a legitimate way to get a few more channels?

I know I would need a cband lnbf, but (sorry for the dumb question) do I need a different receiver for cband as well?

thanks,
~Q

ADMIT ONE:

Yes, as Smith said, we've covered that pretty well.
For a list of what one intrepid member was able to receive, check this post.
Then scroll down the thread a few posts for additional birds.
- satellite list for 1m dish
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...mestar-mini-bud-experiment-7.html#post1509116

Anyway, here's your reading list:

Iceberg (and others) do 84e on C
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/130619-mini-bud.html

Satcom1 on C-band with 84e dish
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...9-primestar-84e-bsc621-2-lnbf-experiment.html

Linuxman on C-band with 1m round Primestar
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...-one-meter-primestar-mini-bud-experiment.html

So, I really don't see what all the excitement is about on that other site.
We've been getting busy with mini-buds for a helluva long time.
Do some searches; the posts go back to at least 2005, with an interesting test by PSB! - :eek:
I believe Cascade had a similar thread.
And a fellow named Alex (?) machined up some conical scalars to test!

Yea, I'd say the SatGuys have definitely been there & done that!
...and left behind a legacy of experimental data.

Dee -

All of the links you posted were accompanied by Ku product pictures.
Some had C-band specs, but most had Ku specs.
I don't recommend looking on Alibaba. I believe that's a service for dealers and other large buyers.

There are plenty of other threads where folks have asked about putting a C-band LNBF on a 1.2 meter dish.
So, I won't repeat all the answers.
Just two points:
- it's the smallest size I'd consider
- here is a suitable LNBF (even on sale) to consider using. - :up
However, as I said in another thread, I see an actual BUD in your future... - :rolleyes:

Dee -

All of the links you posted were accompanied by Ku product pictures.
Some had C-band specs, but most had Ku specs.
I don't recommend looking on Alibaba. I believe that's a service for dealers and other large buyers.

There are plenty of other threads where folks have asked about putting a C-band LNBF on a 1.2 meter dish.
So, I won't repeat all the answers.
Just two points:
- it's the smallest size I'd consider
- here is a suitable LNBF (even on sale) to consider using. - :up
However, as I said in another thread, I see an actual BUD in your future... - :rolleyes:

Oh.. :eek:

Thank you for the link to the part but I know nothing about cband and am a very long way away from, if ever, of doing anything with one. I just think it's too big a project for me. Not to mention the enormity and weight of the stuff.
I would love to get the channels, but......
Oh, and what are those cone looking scalar things? Seems pretty expensive for a funny looking funnel.

And then of course there is the issue of this is much bigger and much uglier than the little ones.

Oh, and doesn't BUD mean big ugly dish? Right? :confused:

thanks
I'm new to this and just wanted to know if it was worth trying.
I don't think it was a big buzz on the other site, just something I'd never seen.
thanks again for the links, I'll do a bit of homework now.
~Q

I'm happy with my mini Cband 1.2M .. once I got it motorized that is. I get tons of channels. My best reception comes from G17, G16, G23, SatMex5 and 6 and PAS 9. As far as I'm concern Ku is now on hold until further notice.

I'm happy with my mini Cband 1.2M .. once I got it motorized that is. I get tons of channels. My best reception comes from G17, G16, G23, SatMex5 and 6 and PAS 9. As far as I'm concern Ku is now on hold until further notice.
I agree. I've been tweaking my motorized 4 footer , and now can get NASA on AMC6 with good quality . I have a 1M motorized for Ku band, and it's a pretty good combo.
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)