C-Band Orthomode setup, seperate KU dish and DisEqc motor and the microHD receiver.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Well, I'm going to go to an orthomode setup on my Sadoun 6 foot dish with microHD receiver.

I have a Chaparral 11-1329-1 Dual C-Band Feed Horn, a pair of Norsat 8115 C-Band LNB's, and a MS4x8WB-WNC switch on the way.

It sounds like after you mod the switch for 18v, you can use an extra coax cable to run power to the switch from the house. Then since at the moment I'm only using the single microHD receiver, I only need a single coax run for that.

One question is how the microHD receiver would then be set to select either horizontal or vertical transponders on the seperate lnb's? If the switch is modded to always pass 18 volts, how can it switch back and forth between them? Maybe I'm over-thinking this? Is it just that the receiver still uses 13v and 18v, and is "fooled" because the switch now does the "thinking" and still selects the former 13volt input OR old 18volt input depending on the receiver as needed?

Also, since I have a seperate KU dish with a DisEqc motor on it, how would that all wire in with this new ortho setup? Can I use one of the other 2 lnb inputs on the MS4x8WB-WNC switch to select the KU lnb, thus eliminating the DisEqc switch that's there now?

Right now, I have the coax going to the DisEqc motor input. On the output of the motor, I have a DisEqc switch. Port 1 goes to the C-band (Geosatpro C2 lnbf for now) and Port 2 goes to the KU lnb. It all works fine, and motor moves, etc. I'll also have a Powermax V-Box X installed to run the c-band dish actuator before this is all through, so that also (I'd prefer if it did anyway) has to go inline with the coax going out to the dishes.

Thanks for any input into this!

The switch still responds to the voltage switching from the receiver and selects the correct LNB. It's just now providing full power to all LNBs now. :)

I use an 1X8 to connect both the VBox and SG2100 to the receiver

Attachments

• SatDiagram.jpg
    SatDiagram.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,608
Last edited:
You are to inject 18-24v. into the modified switch from an external supply. I used a 19v. lap top power pack. The Micro set up is the same as your LNBF, 13v for vert, 18v for horz. The WNC switch will read the voltage and switch in the appropriate lnb. The coax voltage never gets to the LNBs as they are now powered by the external supply.

I use an 1X8 to connect both the VBox and SG2100 to the receiver

So you are running a 1x8 DisEqc switch off the back of your receiver, and it's still capable of controlling TWO KU motorized dishes, and still selecting from any lnb on the c-band dish to both ku band dishes without issues? Does a 1x8 switch work different then a 1x4 DisEqc switch? I didn't think they could pass enough current for motors.

If you only modify 1 side of the WNC 4x8 switch, then you can use the other ( 22khz ON, for example) to handle a dual output Ku lnbf, thus putting both the C-band and Ku band on the same switch with 8 receiver outputs. :)

If you only modify 1 side of the WNC 4x8 switch, then you can use the other ( 22khz ON, for example) to handle a dual output Ku lnbf, thus putting both the C-band and Ku band on the same switch with 8 receiver outputs. :)

I thought so, but..... Brian! Brent just confirmed a real need for an SL2 PLL lnb!!! lol :p

Unless you can think of another way to use the SL1 PLL lnb with this new setup I'm attempting... I'm not against another switch, but I'd like to limit them because of loss. I can use a double power passing splitter on the microHD as you've said before, with one side going to the V-Box X, and the other going out to the dishes and the 4x8 switch, but then how do I get switched from c-only ortho to KU when I'd like to use the single output SL1PLL lnb? Obviously I could use 22khz OFF for the c side, but how to do the single KU lnb??? That has me stumped, as I have never used a Directv switch before on anything, so I have no clue about them.

Last edited:
So you are running a 1x8 DisEqc switch off the back of your receiver, and it's still capable of controlling TWO KU motorized dishes, and still selecting from any lnb on the c-band dish to both ku band dishes without issues? Does a 1x8 switch work different then a 1x4 DisEqc switch? I didn't think they could pass enough current for motors.
Yes the switch will pass enough current. You can cascade switches of different protocols. In the diagram I have a 1x4 switch (DiSEqC 1.0) after the motor and after the 1x8 switch (DiSEqC 1.1). The modded multi-switch uses 22mhz tone control after the 1x8 Switch. Just as long as you don't use two of the same kind of switches behind one another. Not all switches pass enough current for a motor. You could stack a 1x4 switch on each port of the 1x8 and connect 32 LNBs :)

You have to remember that the current draw of a motor depends largely upon the load ( weight of the dish). A 90cm dish might require 150ma to get into motion , while the same motor , moving a heavier dish, might require 300ma to move it. Current is higher on starting the dish moving, than it is while the dish is in motion. I wouldn't expect a switch to last long with a continuous load of 400ma, but our dish moving is generally not a "continuous load" situation. My dishes have always been fairly lightweight, even including my old Fortec 4 footer. I've never had switch problems from motor loading. :)

Yes the switch will pass enough current. You can cascade switches of different protocols. In the diagram I have a 1x4 switch (DiSEqC 1.0) after the motor and after the 1x8 switch (DiSEqC 1.1). The modded multi-switch uses 22mhz tone control after the 1x8 Switch. Just as long as you don't use two of the same kind of switches behind one another. Not all switches pass enough current for a motor. You could stack a 1x4 switch on each port of the 1x8 and connect 32 LNBs :)

What brand and part number is the 1x8 switch you are using?

Well, I'm going to first try just using a standard heavy duty Chieta 4x1 WSD-2041 DisEqC switch (because I have one now). Like this:

microHD receiver >> V-Box X >> SG9120b motor IN >>SG9120b lnb in >> receiver port on 4x1 switch >> LNB1 port on 4x1 switch to >> receiver port 4x8 WNC switch >> 0 khz OFF to both Norsat C-band lnb's.

Then, >>> LNB2 port on 4x1 switch to >>> SL1PLL single KU lnb

I don't see why that wouldn't work since the 4x8 switch is basically just a 22khz tone on/off switch, it seems it should be ok.

Only problem is both motor controls receive all motor commands. This can cause issues you may not like. Even though a VBox does not do USALS, it may do weird things in response to those commands. Some people have reported weird problems doing that. But others don't have an issue with the way it works. You can only try and see how it works for you.

Only problem is both motor controls receive all motor commands. This can cause issues you may not like. Even though a VBox does not do USALS, it may do weird things in response to those commands. Some people have reported weird problems doing that. But others don't have an issue with the way it works. You can only try and see how it works for you.

If so, I also could just use the V-Box X as standalone. Not that much more of a hassle.

Set up your diseqc 1.2 postions #s 1-30 for Ku-band HH motor only & #s 31-60 for C-band commands to the V-box.
Seemed to work well for both my Pansat 9500 & Ferguson Ariva 100. These are both of the Ali chipset family.

Edit: Haven't tried this with the microHD myself yet - C-band dish is on a Pansat AP600 positioner right now. This unit doesn't take diseqc 1.2 commands.

Last edited:
Those are the solutions for most folks. But still if you send a "STORE POS#" or 'LIMIT" commands, they are done by both controllers. I prefer to seperate the motors, but that means running more coax in most cases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)