C-Band pointing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nigel_miguel

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
My uncle has an 8 foot C-band with a motor, he hasn't used it for probably a few years, it has a motor (unfortunately i don't know what kind). He has a FTA receiver, viewsat. He would like to get RTPi (portuguese FTA channel). I've done this with a Ku lnb, but never C band, how difficult is it? i started to read the sticky on C Bank Faqs.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I live in London, ontario Canada.

I assume you're trying to get RTP Internacional America off of Intelsat-805 at 55.5°WL, xpdr 16V, because that and the one on 27.5°WL are the only RTP feeds I could find on C-band. Provided you can physically 'see' that bird it shouldn't be any problem, a horizon-to-horizon mount will definitely work, but a linear actuator can probably be extended to its east limit to see it. Pointing accuracy for C-band is 4x less sensitive than what you're used to with Ku, so as long as the dish tracks the arc reasonably well you should be set.

Tony
Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/
--

Hello Tony,

thank you,

however, i really don't know anything about these dishes. What should i read?

my uncle's C band has a motor, will it work with viewsat or pansat?

do i need a different receiver to make the motor work? I have no idea on how to start...

I don’t know what the capabilities of the Viewsat or Pansat are, but my suspicion was that the ‘motor’ was already connected to something that could move the dish. Also, it was late last night when I responded and didn’t notice that it was an 8’ dish that might be a bit on the small side for the Atlantic birds, but it’s certainly worth a try. Maybe someone that has experience with the Viewsat and Pansat line of receivers can point you in the right direction.

Tony
Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/
--

If you can point to it, you should be able to get a good signal with that 8 footer. I can with a 7.5!

As far as I know, new FTA receivers are not compatible with the old dish moving hardware.

I assume the 8' dish is properly set up to track the belt, and the target satellite can be seen by the dish. I will also assume his FTA receiver is currently being used in a conventional manner using a separate smaller dish. I will further assume he still has a working C-band receiver with an integrated dish positioner, and it is still connected to the old dish. If all this is true, just use the old C-band receiver to drive the dish to the target bird. If any of these assumptions are false, let us know.

The attached file should help you sort out what else you will need to do to get it all working in concert.

Attachments

• Pansat_2500a.pdf
    146 KB · Views: 1,167
Status
Please reply by conversation.