C band prime focus question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bmcniel

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
North Carolina
1 and 2

1. My 30 minute BUD hunt was sucessful. I found a 12' Paraclipse and 4 8' Unimesh. I got one of the 8 footers for free, the other places were "nobody home" or it was entirely too shady looking while I was with the kids, will go back later. Its obvious someone in the area was a Unimesh seller.

2. Is it possible on the aforementioned 8' prime focus Unimesh dish to use multiple LNBs for mulitsatellite? I am thinking that the parabola on the offset dishes is designed in a way that facilitates multisatellite quite easily. I am assuming a prime focus would work essentially the same, I am just wondering if anyone knows why I shouldn't try multi-C-band on this dish.

BTW, Short of the extremely rusty bolts and one bullethole, The Unimesh is in very good shape considering its age.

1 and 2

1. My 30 minute BUD hunt was sucessful. I found a 12' Paraclipse and 4 8' Unimesh. I got one of the 8 footers for free, the other places were "nobody home" or it was entirely too shady looking while I was with the kids, will go back later. Its obvious someone in the area was a Unimesh seller.

2. Is it possible on the aforementioned 8' prime focus Unimesh dish to use multiple LNBs for mulitsatellite? I am thinking that the parabola on the offset dishes is designed in a way that facilitates multisatellite quite easily. I am assuming a prime focus would work essentially the same, I am just wondering if anyone knows why I shouldn't try multi-C-band on this dish.

BTW, Short of the extremely rusty bolts and one bullethole, The Unimesh is in very good shape considering its age.
It is possible to do multiple sats on a prime focus dish. It can be a bit tricky to site though.

Cart before the horse, or Look!, a dish!! Pull over!!

After verbally procuring the 8 footer, I came home and decided I had better look to see what the view would look like. :-(
It seems there is a nicely defoliated pecan tree in the way of AMC-1, the primary target in mind for the beginning C-band adventure. Since nature takes its proverbial course, that tree will be green before I know it and although I can see the bird now, it would be an exercize in futility to begin anywhere on the ground with that Unimesh.

I currently have an old Dish500 modded for g16 and ses1 on the flat roof of the carport. This is pretty well hidden by the hip roof of the house. Its like a "no view zone" that can be seen from only one place, the neighbor's house, which is now abandoned.

Now, I am a tinkerer-experimenter-mad scientist-renegade type and will do anything in the name of seeing if it can be done. I am really considering going way out in left field. IF I were to put the unimesh on the roof, I would gain much better bird visibility and dish invisibility. What I would like to do is to fix the dish in position with its bottom edge virtually on the flat roof and lean the dish at an angle so it is not as visible from the road (and also reduce wind load). In this arrangement, I am hoping to construct a feed mount in the satellite arc and move LNBs where I need them and "lock 'er down". It is obvious that I will be making a prime focus dish into an offset dish. I hope it works..... I might be better off with marine plywood and window screen and make something

At this time, while living in town, I am probably not as interested in motorizing, maybe if I move rural. Has anyone seen anything like I am describing? Have I lost my marbles? And I have heard it all before.... "why do you overcomplicate things?" Its just me, sorry, can't help it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)