Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
i have several KU Band dish hookups and never use a splice or intermediate hookup between the LNB's and the sat receiver unless it is a switch. But the dishes are close to the ground.

My 7.5ft C Band dish I am about to install is sittting pretty high off the ground, (about 8-9ft) and while it is accessable with a ladder, it will be a real pain to connect or reconnect any changes later w/o some type of 6-8ft length of RG6 to splice into. I'm using a dual output LNBF with one RG6 going to an VBox and OpenBox S9 and the other straight to a switch and Viewsat.

Am I going to lose much in-line signal with an in-line barrel connector? Any more than a DisEqc switch?

I use the in-line barrel connectors on all my dishes and I can't see a problem using them, I'm sure there is going to be some signal lose but unless the satellite signal is extremely low you should be find.

Back when I first started this hobby ( or addiction, your choice) I did numerous tests, and I decided it just didn't matter, AS LONG AS YOUR COAX ENDS ARE MADE WELL, AND YOU TIGHTEN THE COAXES CORRECTLY!

Don't let your barrels sit where they can get wet, or at the bottom of a drip loop.

Guys that have equipment that can measure the loss could probably prove me wrong, but I haven't noticed one iota of quality difference whether its one straight line or has three or four barrels in it.

As always, YMMV.

I've always had a barrel splice connector on the back side of the BUD.
Am I going to lose much in-line signal with an in-line barrel connector? Any more than a DisEqc switch?
No, you'll lose much less than a switch, unless it becomes waterlogged.

Speaking of cables being tightened correctly, a couple of years ago I found the coax connector on my BUD LNBF was about ready to fall off. I wondered if the daily summer heating and cooling at night under the cover caused the connector to gradually unscrew itself. :confused:

IMHO, if there's plenty of lightning in your area, you may lose more than your signal by not having items like ground blocks in the line entering the house.

Corrado reminded me I have several (10 or more) dual ground blocks that were sitting in a box.... I will use one of those at the end of my dual RG6on the back of the dish. Better than two barrel connectors, although thats what they are w/ a ground.

Thanks to all above for comments!

Make sure the barrel splice connectors are rated for 3GHz or better. I usually use dielectric grease on outdoor connections as well, it fills up space that moisture might want to occupy.
I have an 8' dish with 4 pieces of RG6 spliced together with those barrel connectors and compression F connectors. Works fine, but I do plan on replacing 3 of those pieces with one continuous cable leaving one junction behind the dish for servicing.... someday! :)
-C.

I usually use dielectric grease on outdoor connections as well, it fills up space that moisture might want to occupy.

BINGO. On all my outside connections I use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly to keep out moisture. I even use it when I'm assembling the ends of the cables with connectors. That dielectric grease is probably better but the Vaseline has worked fine for me for a long time now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts