C Band Still Alive?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ndennis

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Southern US
I've been using my old 4DTV just to power my 10' dish with my AZBox. I have not used the 4DTV to view anything in many years.

I changed the battery years ago but it now appears to be dying. The display has everything lit-up.

My 10' dish goes back to about 1996 but the Ku is still working fine.

Looking for a way to power my dish has made me remember how enjoyable things were back in the 90's. Especially the wild feeds.

Where is a good place to see what's up there on FTA C-band?

Can my AZBox receive everything the 4DTV can receive? Is there a better all around box?

It does not appear that the AZBox can control a movable dish. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dennis

I am brand new to the new FTA myself. I have a old 8ft dish I am going to try and get going. I like this channel search the best so far. Here's a link.
kuband.fta.channels.drsat.ca/channels.cfm

Just put in c band, and you can leave everything else in "search all". There are a lot of c-band channels.

From what I am understanding, your receiver can get C band as well as KU. It's all done in the LNB's. They convert the signal down to a intermediate frequency that the receiver picks up, it doesn't really know if it's C or KU. But they do have some new fancy switching they use in the new receivers. They change the voltage going up the coax to tell the LNB's to switch from horizontal to vertical, and they have a 22khz signal the receiver sends up the coax to switch between KU and C band LNB's. This switch can be built into the feedhorn assembly, or can be external and looks just a like a 2-way coax splitter. So that's how they manage what signal gets to the receiver.

They also have these new fangled standards called Diseq, your receiver has them. These are communication standards that your receiver uses to talk to a dish mover box. They sell these dish mover boxes and reasonable prices(do search for "vbox").

What I find refreshing is the reasonable prices on all this stuff. When the 4DTV receiver came out way back in the 90's, the price knocked me out of the game. I think I can get back in now though since it shouldn't cost too much to get back in.

And like I said I am just learning this stuff myself, so someone can correct me if any of the info above is wrong.

Where is a good place to see what's up there on FTA C-band?

Can my AZBox receive everything the 4DTV can receive? Is there a better all around box?

It does not appear that the AZBox can control a movable dish. Any suggestions?
1. Top of every page: The List
Also, Lyngsat.com, and Mike Kohl's site which someone will post shortly. ;)

2. An AZbox can't get anything your 4D receiver can get, but it CAN get everything your 4D can't! :)

3. You want a Gbox (or Vbox) to control your dish mover motor (click my signature for review & discussion)
Many members give up the feedhorn with servo motor, as new receivers won't control them
They opt for a voltage controlled LNBF, or an ortho feed.

Welcome to the site Franklin!!!

Thank you - I'm composing an email to sanoun.com now.

The biggest reason I stopped moving my dish many years ago was the high cost of the positioner and they only lasted a year or two.

I'd love to get my 4DTV up and running again along with my AZBox. If it's not too costly I'm going to try and get it all going again.

The biggest reason I stopped moving my dish many years ago was the high cost of the positioner and they only lasted a year or two.

I'd love to get my 4DTV up and running again along with my AZBox. If it's not too costly I'm going to try and get it all going again.

You'll still need an actuator. The Gbox or Vbox or 4DTV will power the actuator. The Gbox and Vbox uses Diseqc commands from the Azbox (or other FTA receiver) to move the dish. Anyway, your actuator should last a lot longer than 2 years so I'm wondering why you have to replace it every 2 years.

I use to move the dish a lot everyday and just wore them out. They stopped being accurate.

I have a new actuator in my closet but it's too small to last long with the big dish. One just like it is on the dish now. I need something heavy duty.

My dish is on a tall pole attached to the side of the house so everything is difficult to get at from the roof.

The antenna controller (positioner) or the actuator motor (arm) I never had a receiver stop moving my dish, and I have had my dish for about 30 years and replaced the actuator about 4 or 5 times, the Venture Maxi 24" I have on now has been running for over 6 years with no issues.

The absolute best is an orthomode transducer [OMT, Ortho] with two high quality LNB's with a modified multiswitch.
Second would have been a GeosatPRO C2. Unfortunately, not manufactured any more.
Before my acquisition of a C2, I had a ESX242 that performed very well. Confirming the review linked to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts