Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
To recap my situation.

Bought last year a WSI 180cm "special". It was to be installed on the corner of the lot (4 feet from the property line). Now that area has been "re-acquired" by the minister of zoning for the new pool desk. Minister pointed at the other area and said "I dont care about that side". Am guessing "Dont care" also means the size so am getting an 8 footer.

Here's the problem.

First option the dish would have been consealed by a huge maple and hedges (LOS of 58w to 123w).
New location, its going to be visible to 2 neighbours and from the street. I dont want to draw attention from the town nor annoy my neighbours. Plus the 2nd location is going to stick out like a sore thumb. other concern is the dish will be sandwiched between the pool and the shed. Having the dish blown off its pole into the pool is a concern.

When you folks installed your BUDs, did you take any factors in mind? Does she have a good spot or sticks out. Neighbours ever complained?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers, K

Here's a shot from Google (not clear but it will give an idea)

Green = hedges
Brown = maple tree
Red = initial location
Blue = New location

Bottom centre is due south 72W

intall.jpg

Last edited:
I put up some trellises to semi-conceal the BUD from the front yard. I planted the BUD as close to the back of the house as possible. Looks too close to clear the roof, but the sun twice a year shows the bottom of the dish is well clear of the roof peak. In back of the dish I planted some arborvitae that one day may conceal the dish from that direction. If the deer ever stop eating them. Which they will not. So now I have fencing around the arborvitae that is a bit ugly. No fencing and the deer will clip a full size arborvitae till it looks like a sick poodle. Should have picked another tree species.

Neighbors have never complained. Due diligence for no reason at all, as far as I can tell.

Complain from Neighbors ? Why? is your Property. Always mind that your installation does not touch neighbors properties

When you folks installed your BUDs, did you take any factors in mind? Does she have a good spot or sticks out. Neighbours ever complained?
Mine is clearly visible from from street, and to a couple neighbors directly west.
I did not care about their opinion.

...Minister pointed at the other area and said "I dont care about that side". Am guessing "Dont care" also means the size so am getting a 10 footer (minimum)...

;)

Congrats!

I don't have neighbors to deal with, but if there is no legal reason to limit the size/location (ordinance, HOA bs, etc.) I would put up a nice cleanly installed BUD of your choice and let the chips fall.

Good luck.

Tell the neighbors you do contract work for NASA, if there's a complaint.
(All my dishes are in the front yard, right on the corner, just off the sidewalk)

When I think about it, am not so much worried about my neighbour... just to local neighbourhood 70 year old nags. From the street, the only "view" to the backyard is the door on the fence (rest are all hedges). The dish would be in that LOS.

Neighbours ever complained?
If complaints bother you, I guarantee neighbours will complain if the BUD is visible to people off your property. Even mild-mannered passive Canadians can embrace an unrecognizable fury at times like these. Especially if you live in a neighbourhood where people spend their limited free time coaxing blades of grass to be only green and vertical, and to have a paved black driveway absent of these same now-horizontal blades. Since you don't transmit through the dish, at least you don't have to defend against false complaints of electronic interference. These complaints are a modern societal disease (MSD) but inevitable. You're about to cross over into...The Complaint Zone.

Now I have a new problem. That crazy women woke me up in the middle of the night and said, "NO BUD!" then she denied ever saying I could have the corner of my own yard for a dish.
Its been WWIII ever since. Anyone have an argument as to why C is better than Ku am all open to hear it..

Cheers, K

Your FIRST mistake was asking her permission. That makes a woman feel that they actually have any sort of say or authority when it comes to something like this, and they DON'T.

Put the dish up on a day when she is gone, and if she says anything more, tell her to get in the kitchen and make you a sandwich.

My wife wasn't too happy with the idea at first, but she sure doesn't mind watching c-band channels. The dish enabled us to "cut the cord". No more TV bills. We have more than enough with FTA and OTA. Besides we have the internet and all the video that can supply for free as well.

I saw my internet bill a few days ago (paperless, automatic billing).. normally we blow 90gb a month (streaming, a few "downloads" :D etc) but this month was 220Gb. She streams all 6 seasons of Gossip Girl in 2 and a half weeks. Am surprised the router and PS3 didnt overheat and blow.

My neighbors didn't like my buds at first. One neighbor is a pharmacist. He is a little snooty.
He has no mechanical skills and understands nothing about how anything works. The big dish is a complete bizarre mystery to him that looks ugly.

My other neighbor is a retired metallurgist. He thinks the whole idea is cool and actually wants one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts