C31 Client Losing Signal/Black Screen from HR34 (requires Genie Reboot)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JD Hogg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
SoCal
The past few days my C31 client is losing complete signal (black screen) about twice per day. The only thing that brings the picture/connection back is a red-button reset from the HR34 Genie receiver. Doing a red-button reset from the C31 unit does nothing.

I have checked/replaced the HDMI cable, tried a different HDMI port on my TV and even unplugged the C31 for a few hours to no avail.

Does this sound like an issue w/ the C31 client box or the HR34 Genie receiver?

Also if it is the C31 box, will DTV drop-ship a new C31 out to me or do they have to send out a tech?

I currently do not have the 'protection plan' (but I could sign up for it - 1st month free) but I'm trying to figure out if this matter can be troubleshooted first. I'm NOT getting any error codes (other than not having a phone line plugged in to the Genie) that would indicate there is a hardware or communication issue between the Genie and the client.

I want to say this all started around the latest Genie software update from last week - but I'm not 100% sure as it might be a coincidence.

Any advice on how to approach this issue?

Thanks

I'd say it's likely a directv issue. I don't have the exact same problems you do but my C31 client has had very erratic behavior since the latest firmware arrived. I get black screen with audio a lot -- or sometimes the picture will "solarize" like you're using a solarize gimp filter on the video. Both cases just require turn off and back on the C31.

C31 also still responds slowly - when it gets to be excruciatingly slow, I do a full reboot at the HR34 to make things not as bad.

At the HR34 room, a lot more "thump" error sounds when there should not be due to proper keypresses when using the remote directly with the HR34. Also, annoying that 10% of my hard drive is now free due to recent clean-ups yet I still get the stupid warning box about less than 10% disk space is free. Guess DIRECTV programmers don't know the english language or greater than/less than/equal than comparisons.

can't believe it's been 11 months since I had one installed and the GENIE is still buggy as .... !!!!

The past few days my C31 client is losing complete signal (black screen) about twice per day. The only thing that brings the picture/connection back is a red-button reset from the HR34 Genie receiver. Doing a red-button reset from the C31 unit does nothing. I have checked/replaced the HDMI cable, tried a different HDMI port on my TV and even unplugged the C31 for a few hours to no avail. Does this sound like an issue w/ the C31 client box or the HR34 Genie receiver? Also if it is the C31 box, will DTV drop-ship a new C31 out to me or do they have to send out a tech? I currently do not have the 'protection plan' (but I could sign up for it - 1st month free) but I'm trying to figure out if this matter can be troubleshooted first. I'm NOT getting any error codes (other than not having a phone line plugged in to the Genie) that would indicate there is a hardware or communication issue between the Genie and the client. I want to say this all started around the latest Genie software update from last week - but I'm not 100% sure as it might be a coincidence. Any advice on how to approach this issue? Thanks

More than likely like said, it's a directv software issue. However, do you have a RG6 coax running to the client? Only reason I asked is we had a customer and told her over and over it's an issue, she demanded the line be replaced so we did a wall fish and replaced it for her, 2 weeks and still haven't had a single issue. I've been checking on it myself as she lived less than a minute from me

I do have a white coax cable running to the back of the C31 (how do I tell if it's an RG6)?

I manually forced a software update (0744) on the Genie to see if that fixes the issue.

Is it also recommended to completely default/restore the Genie and set it up again from scratch - and same for the C31 client?

I do have a white coax cable running to the back of the C31 (how do I tell if it's an RG6)? I manually forced a software update (0744) on the Genie to see if that fixes the issue. Is it also recommended to completely default/restore the Genie and set it up again from scratch - and same for the C31 client?

The cable will say RG6 on the side of it. Is the white line connected to a wall plate?

The cable will say RG6 on the side of it. Is the white line connected to a wall plate?

I checked and it does have "RG6" printed on the cable. It's connected to a 3-way splitter (with a lime green colored label on it).

3-way? Directv doesn't offer a 3-way, they're 2, 4, and 8. Can you upload a pic?

Sorry, typo. I meant a 2-way splitter. One goes to my HR24 receiver in one bedroom and the other goes to the C31 client.

How do you do a manual software update? I have my clients one a week say searching for server, and I have to do a red button reset on my HR34.
Honestly, if it weren't for all my recordings, I would dump the Hr34, and pay for an HR44.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)