Cable, internet and satellite set up

rmorett

Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
First, forgive my wording as I'm not very technical but have learned some things in the last few months.
I manage a large home that has cable/internet from TW and a few channels from Dish. The home has been enlarged over the last 15 years but the original cable wiring has been added on to for the additional tv's, modems and satellite. There are about 14 tv's and 3 modems. There a quite a few amps and splitters as you can imagine. This last summer we had many disruptions after the last modem was added. We think the technician may have made a mistake but ever since we had problems with some cable channels not showing up or the internet became slow. The satellite signal was being modulated to come through one unused channel. Once we upgraded our old cable box to HD boxes we could not watch the satellite channel (95) anymore. I was told that it was because the old TW box allowed for the satellite's analog signal to come through while the new HD box does not. Just last week I had the entire wiring reviewed by another technician and after testing and changing amps and splitters from one place to another we had to leave the satellite unconnected as each time it was plugged in we would lose the cable to some of the tvs completely. The internet would also slow down. So, at this point both cable and internet are working fine all over but no satellite. Anyone can suggest anything to get that satellite back. My "boss" views a few international channels that are not available on cable. Any good technician referrals in Los Angeles are greatly appreciated.:confused:

Satellite isn't laid out in such a manner that it happily coexists with CATV or broadband. The more modems you get, the more likely you are to clobber the satellite.

You need to contemplate running secondary lines or, better yet, use networking (wireless if necessary) to get the RoadRunner off of the cable.

Thank you both, Localnet and Harshness, for your replies. I will visit the AVS Forum. I think that what I really need is someone that really can identify the "kinks" in our set up. Everything was working this last summer but I'm thinking that after the last modem was installed to provide wireless service to the upper floor back end of the house (imagen house in shape of upside down L ) it threw off something.

Antennae(NTSC and ATSC), Cable(QAM), and Satellite(QSPK and 8SPK) are all different signals. I use all three perfectly with a separate cable feed for each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)