cable run

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spinnertom

Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
dundee mich.
I have trees and there is no way to move the dish any closer then 400 ft from my disc to reciver. any help me!!!! tOM WOULD I BE ABLE TO GET HIGH DEV WITH RG11/?

Last edited:
I have a feed running 475 feet from a Dish 500 to a 522 receiver. All done using RG6, 3Ghz rated, works just great.

RG11 will be OK too.

people freak out over the distance of a cable run but honestly if everything else is good and you have the signal to lose you would be okay with rg-6. The problem is that any problems you might run into will be amplified by the longer cable run. RG-11 will help.

If you're going to try it with RG-6 make sure it's solid copper core. The problem with long cable runs is voltage drop to the lnb. You need 10.5 volts at the lnb for it to operate and the receivers usually only put out about 12/13 volts, so a couple of volts drop due to resistance in the cable can cause failure. Solid copper helps because of its lower resistance.

Another option for distance issues is to run power wire to the location of the dish or close to the dish to cut down on the coax cable distance. You would then need to have some sort of little building to place your satellite receiver and run coax wire back to the house the rest of the way. To turn the channels you would need to use UHF Pro functionality through the coax line. If you want HD you would need to find some amplifiers that take HD signals over ethernet / coax over a long distance running it through conduit so that moisture does not get to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts