cable/satellite dillema

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
Ive had dish for 6 yrs, just bought a HD tv and am reluctant to give up the dvr in order to get the HD reciever (811). Since the delux combo w/ dvr costs 900 bucks thats not an option for me. I may be forced to switch to cable (yuk) since I can get a HD box w/ DVR from TWarner. My question is how much of a picture degrade with digital HD cable will I get vs Dish HD ??????

Also can anyone recommend a good uhf attic antenna for HD in case I stay with Dish???

It all depends on your cable company. Some cable companies are really good and some are bad. You best bet would be to see if someone in your area has HD and ask if you can preview it.

I have stayed with Dish. Last November I got a deal on a 6000 receiver with the OTA unit. I have a Channel Master 4228 in my attic which works awesome. I live about 45 miles from the Boston towers and got them without a pre-amp. Since then, all of the major stations in Providence are digital as well and get them at 92% or better. They are about 10 miles away. If all the OTA stations are available in your area, I would try the CM 4228. I found mine online for about $60.

Hope this helps.

Is it a must to have rg6 cable from the antenna for HD or will coaxial work ok? My current antenna already has coaxial. I can switch it if it will make a big difference. Thanks Bob

robertjp said:
Is it a must to have rg6 cable from the antenna for HD or will coaxial work ok? My current antenna already has coaxial. I can switch it if it will make a big difference. Thanks Bob

By "coaxial" I assume you mean RG59. RG6, also a coaxial cable, is slightly larger than RG59 but has less loss than RG59. It will make a difference in signal strength at the tuner. If the signal strength is barely enough for a digital signal lock, then the only advantage using RG6 is that you will have a little more signal margin. As long as you are getting a locked signal, there will be not difference in picture quality.

It varies widely but the cable companies (it seems especially Brighthouse and TWC) manage the HD offering better. I am a D* customer and just got the HD Tivo, same price tag, but it is out performing any other receiver I have used long term to date.

As far as an OTA antenna I use the Channel Master 4228 provided by Voom and it is working very well. Check antennaweb.org for your specific location.

Since finance is an issue I would at least try TWC if HD is your priority. I just had Comcast cable installed and it was so horrible I disconnected within a day ... plus they had no HD in my area just yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)