Cable TV plus HD OTA through RF in?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

onytay

Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
I just moved to St. Louis from Kansas City. I have an HD TiVO dtv box. I love it. Now that I have moved, I need my locals changed to St. Louis. I have a feeling that dtv will require me to up my contract like they do for everything just to change my locals. I don't need someone to reinstall me. My new house already had a dtv dish pointed in the right direction. I don't think that they would change the locals w/o an installer confirming my new eligible location.

Now to the question......

I have signed up for Charter internet/internet phone/cable tv as a package. I am going to be hooking up my fishbone TV antenna for the ota HD channels, but I was wondering if I could also combine in the cable tv channels into the RF input to get my SD locals (as well as the other cable channels) with the HD ota channels. Since not all programming ota is HD or letterbox I need the SD locals because I cannot stand the "square" channels over the antenna.

Any suggestions?

If I'm understanding your question right, the answer is that you cannot combine an cable signal (analog or digital) with an OTA antenna and have it work with the HR10-250. The HD DVR does not have either an OTA analog tuner or a RF output for your TV; and does not, AFAIK, have a cable compatible tuner. Also, I doulbt you'd get the cable channels in the D* guide.

The best thing you could do is to run your OTA antenna into the HD DVR and your cable into the antenna in of your TV. You'll have to switch inputs from D* to cable, but this is the only setup that I know will work.

I do it all the time with a SAMSUNG SIR-TS160. It has 3 inputs, one for cable, one for Directv, and a seperate one for antenna. They all show up in the guide (analog cable has no data of course).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)